Lay ups and noshows

Benionsopinion

We just watched an exercise in futility by the Lady Vols. One of the first things you learn in playing basketball is hitting lay ups. That is why you have lay up drills. Had the Ladies hit half their lay ups,they would have won by 12-15 points or more. We have seen the Lady Vols have poor games shooting short shots,but this was the most egregious display ever. The effort was there,but the finish was not.

No team can do well in a tournament games when three starters are more or less no shows. They and we know who they are,so that is enough said. Maybe that will be a learning experience for NCAA tourney.

Footnote here is that Annie Hayes is going to be a very special player as she gains experience.

Reactions: 7 people
I'll say it again. Way to phone it in Lady Vols.

Playing like this we won't have to watch this miserable play very long come tournament time. I'm surprised they made it past Auburn.

Zero heart.
Zero effort.
Zero Intensity.
Zero tenacity.
Zero coaching.
Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy play.

Reactions: 8 people

Playing like this we won't have to watch this miserable play very long come tournament time. I'm surprised they made it past Auburn.

Zero heart.
Zero effort.
Zero Intensity.
Zero tenacity.
Zero coaching.

What's the difference between heart and effort? What's the difference between intensity and tenacity?

Reactions: 3 people
What's the difference between heart and effort? What's the difference between intensity and tenacity?

Without using a dictionary, but from an athlete's perspective:

Heart = playing for the name on the front of the jersey, for your teammates, and for your coaches, family and people who helped you get to where you are. I guess you could also call it pride
Effort = fighting for 40 minutes. Diving for every loose ball. Challenging every shot.
Intensity = playing every second like the game is on the line.
Tenacity = playing like you're 6'6", 250lbs when your only 5'6" 150lbs and everyone says you're playing like you're 6'6" and 250lbs.

That's my non-webster version. I'm sure others will google the definitons and chime in with their unoriginal two cents.

Reactions: 16 people
Westbrook is a turnover machine. Imagine what this team could do if Mercedes played angry with more effort. Much smaller players out rebound her with effort and motivation. Hayes and Davis are going to be special as is Westbrook if she can control turnovers.

If Nared and Russell are the only ones to show up and play, the Lady Vols will have a loss in the first round of the NCAA Tournament no matter who the opposition is.

Reactions: 1 person
Westbrook is a turnover machine. Imagine what this team could do if Mercedes played angry with more effort. Much smaller players out rebound her with effort and motivation. Hayes and Davis are going to be special as is Westbrook if she can control turnovers.

Six years of Holly, six years of turnovers. One would think after 6 years Holly should have figured it out.

Russell is not even close to being an A’ja Wilson. She lacks heart, hustle and desire. She takes way too many breaks while on the court. She is simply not as big of a game changer as she should be. She does not play with emotion.

With the right coach and leadership Hayes, Westbrook and Davis could be very special. With the group we have coming in, this will be a top ten talented team with a far less talented head coach.

Reactions: 9 people
If Nared and Russell are the only ones to show up and play, the Lady Vols will have a loss in the first round of the NCAA Tournament no matter who the opposition is.

I think you can count on Nared, but Russell likes to take in game breaks. Her intensity is not as octaned as it needs to be. I would also question her heart and desire on occasions.

Reactions: 5 people
Pathetic period. This team may not make it out of the 1st round. Holly has destroyed this program.

Reactions: 7 people
Russell 4 rebounds, wow, talking about a no show...

Afraid to look up how many turnovers we had...

Reactions: 2 people
We just watched an exercise in futility by the Lady Vols. One of the first things you learn in playing basketball is hitting lay ups. That is why you have lay up drills. Had the Ladies hit half their lay ups,they would have won by 12-15 points or more. We have seen the Lady Vols have poor games shooting short shots,but this was the most egregious display ever. The effort was there,but the finish was not.

No team can do well in a tournament games when three starters are more or less no shows. They and we know who they are,so that is enough said. Maybe that will be a learning experience for NCAA tourney.

Footnote here is that Annie Hayes is going to be a very special player as she gains experience.

Every game they play under her is an exercise in futility

I think you can count on Nared, but Russell likes to take in game breaks. Her intensity is not as octaned as it needs to be. I would also question her heart and desire on occasions.

How can you blame her. Against Auburn practically didnt touch the ball without a rebound. This team lacks a coach its that simple.

Zero heart.
Zero effort.
Zero Intensity.
Zero tenacity.
Zero coaching.

Just curious, did you actually watch the game?

I will give you that the LVs were not good but Nared played her heart out; Annie Hayes fought hard; and the overall team intensity was fairly high.

The number of missed shots at the rims was incredibly frustrating. And in many cases, a missed lay-up one the one end led to a fast break score for SC; those four point swings were fatal.

I can only guess (hope) that fatigue from the Auburn game contributed to all those misses but per the OP, if they make those kind of shots, their tournament prospects are not great. Ever the optimist though, I don't think they will repeat this dismal shooting performance in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: 4 people
I counted 27 missed layups.... and that doesn't count the layups which were attempted and blocked or on which folds were called.... 27 wow.

Pathetic period. This team may not make it out of the 1st round. Holly has destroyed this program.

This is sad, brutal TRUTH! I've attended every game at the tournament, & it's obvious that Holly Warlick is the worst coach in the SEC. Talent wasted, Pat Head Summit's work obliterated. :ermm:

These girls are extremely Fragile at this time in the season. They are walking on the Razors Edge. If one of them is injured as Jamie is now, they cannot perform up to the expectations needed. Holly has no bench support, which makes it even more difficult. The crux of the problem is Fatigue(how it makes cowards of us all), Lack of Coaching(been this way all season), Desire(Now the confidence in teammates has gone). In all this season is over.

Reactions: 1 person
Six years of Holly, six years of turnovers. One would think after 6 years Holly should have figured it out.

Russell is not even close to being an A’ja Wilson. She lacks heart, hustle and desire. She takes way too many breaks while on the court. She is simply not as big of a game changer as she should be. She does not play with emotion.

With the right coach and leadership Hayes, Westbrook and Davis could be very special. With the group we have coming in, this will be a top ten talented team with a far less talented head coach.
But but but we have a 7th ranking RPI and are 9th in the nation. Give Holly another five years! This is what some Vol/Holly fans are saying.:loco:

AFTER SIX YEARS OF THE HOLLY COACHING ERA, we are a SEVEN SEED IN THE SEC, have had #1 recruiting classes, and the fan bases continues to come to games. We can't even make it past the second round of the SEC tournament! We almost lose to AUBURN!

Just let all that sink in for a minute and tell me HOLLY IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

:loco::loco::thud:

But but but we have a 7th ranking RPI and are 9th in the nation. Give Holly another five years! This is what some Vol/Holly fans are saying.:loco:

AFTER SIX YEARS OF THE HOLLY COACHING ERA, we are a SEVEN SEED IN THE SEC, have had #1 recruiting classes, and the fan bases continues to come to games. We can't even make it past the second round of the SEC tournament! We almost lose to AUBURN!

Just let all that sink in for a minute and tell me HOLLY IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

:loco::loco::thud:

It's the same thing every year. Tons of talent, horrible coaching and an early exit from the SEC and NCAA tourney. Pat built this program to be the Elite program in the country and we are now not even the elite team in our own conference. If Holly really cared about the Lady Vols program, she would resign at the end of this season. But I guess it's hard to do the right thing when it means giving up $650,000 a year.

"Russell is not even close to being an A’ja Wilson. She lacks heart, hustle and desire. She takes way too many breaks while on the court. She is simply not as big of a game changer as she should be. She does not play with emotion."

I have said this for the last 3 years. MR may have been queen in Highschool but college is a much different talent level. Again, she is well OVERATED. I would not draft her. Just my oppinion.

Reactions: 5 people
Other than unable to shoot the ball this was a good effort by the Lady Vols. We should've won the game getting 86 shots to their 56. They shot a terrible percentage and we managed to beat their terrible percentage by a large percentage.
The question becomes what are recruiting rankings all about. These players are supposed to be superior players in their class and most can't even make a layup or a ten foot jump shot. Their skill level is low and undeveloped.
Westbrook shoots 45 percent from the foul line, turns it over 5 times a game on average, and is shooting 37 percent from the floor yet she was the number two player in last years class.
Instead of recruiting rankings we have to recruit some players with skills. They do need to be athletic but mainly have to be better shooters than a few of our freshmen.
The only player we can depend on to make shots is Davis and she sat out almost the entire game with foul trouble.
Here is hoping that next years class has better shooting skills we need some help on offense.

These girls are extremely Fragile at this time in the season. They are walking on the Razors Edge. If one of them is injured as Jamie is now, they cannot perform up to the expectations needed. Holly has no bench support, which makes it even more difficult. The crux of the problem is Fatigue(how it makes cowards of us all), Lack of Coaching(been this way all season), Desire(Now the confidence in teammates has gone). In all this season is over.

Holly has no been support because she has failed to create bench support. Green, kasi, Dunbar and Hayes are a hell of a bench support if used. But if not used and wasted as they have been and are... No bench.

VN Store

Back