Holly Warlick post-game presser vs. South Carolina

I think some of you guys just look for stuff to complain about. A good win for 3 great seniors and you post this silly slap at Holly. Ok, Holly's strengths aren't public speaking. Deal with it or quit watching--it's easy.

Thanks to our 3 seniors for their fantastic contributions--on the court and off and good win to end the regular season.

Reactions: 18 people
she's willing to open up more after a win...she knows X's and O's and she sees what happens on the floor...after a loss it's just easier to say "I don't know" so she can get to the locker room (who wants to talk about a loss anyway)...also, I believe the players usually don't practice the way they want to play...example: practice: slower play, running plays...game: school-yard play and push it faster...two different styles...anyway....good win...and,

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 3 people
I think some of you guys just look for stuff to complain about. A good win for 3 great seniors and you post this silly slap at Holly. Ok, Holly's strengths aren't public speaking. Deal with it or quit watching--it's easy.

Thanks to our 3 seniors for their fantastic contributions--on the court and off and good win to end the regular season.

She has zero strengths in anything, she flat out sucks. The day she resigns or is fired will rank right near the top of greatest days in Vols history.

Reactions: 7 people
another satisfied Holly customer...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

I'll be satisfied when she's finally gone which won't be too long from now one way or another. It's a shame that people like you support mediocrity and wallow in it. Holly Warlick is to Lady Vol Bball what Derek Dooley was to the football team.

Reactions: 4 people
I'll be satisfied when she's finally gone which won't be too long from now one way or another. It's a shame that people like you support mediocrity and wallow in it. Holly Warlick is to Lady Vol Bball what Derek Dooley was to the football team.

I'm still not convinced Holly is the answer but a winning % of approximately 76% isn't "mediocrity". At least be realistic about what you are complaining about.

Reactions: 9 people
I'm still not convinced Holly is the answer but a winning % of approximately 76% isn't "mediocrity". At least be realistic about what you are complaining about.

It's called standards and when you don't come close to those standards then yes, it's mediocrity. There will never be anything to convince you Holly is the answer because she isn't. Being a fan doesn't mean to put blinders on to what is in front of you. Holly Warlick was, is and will always be a mediocre coach, accept it or not it doesn't change that fact.

Reactions: 2 people
It's called standards and when you don't come close to those standards then yes, it's mediocrity. There will never be anything to convince you Holly is the answer because she isn't. Being a fan doesn't mean to put blinders on to what is in front of you. Holly Warlick was, is and will always be a mediocre coach, accept it or not it doesn't change that fact.

Did you even read my post or were you so dead set on trying to prove your point you didn't feel the need to read what I said?

Reactions: 5 people

When assessing Holly's performance as a coach, I think it's wise to NOT include anything during the first 3 years she had some of Pat's players. Those players were recruited by Pat and trained under Pat's system. It is a much better indicator to look at Holly through the lens of JUST her players and JUST her system which started in the 2015-2016 season. IIRC, her winning percentage is closer to 66% than 76%. Her regular season SEC finishes are 7th, 5th, and 7th. She also has not yet beaten unranked Alabama in 4 tries.

Not sure of any Lady Vol fan who would find those #'s acceptable or be satisfied.

Unfortunately, I think Holly is here until she resigns or recruiting dries up... and that’s the paradox, the LadyVols brand recruits itself, thus keeping an average coach in place. This year’s freshman class will keep her employed for at least 3 more years.

Unfortunately, I think Holly is here until she resigns or recruiting dries up... and that’s the paradox, the LadyVols brand recruits itself, thus keeping an average coach in place. This year’s freshman class will keep her employed for at least 3 more years.

That's true we have the brand ... for now. But, it doesn't have everlasting life. Louisiana Tech used to be every bit the power house that Tennessee was in women's basketball, but they are not relevant in the least now other than through history.

This year’s freshman class will keep her employed for at least 3 more years.
I'm not sure they will be the reason she is employed. So far, I don't find this class any more special than any other one. Westbrook looks pretty good and reasonably consistent and, with a good coach could do great things, but Hayes and Davis need some work IMO on both sides of the ball and I have no confidence they'll get the direction they need.

I will never understand how a fan calls themselves adhering to standards by complaining about who is or isn't the coach. Kind of a shallow perspective....

That's true we have the brand ... for now. But, it doesn't have everlasting life. Louisiana Tech used to be every bit the power house that Tennessee was in women's basketball, but they are not relevant in the least now other than through history.

I'm not sure they will be the reason she is employed. So far, I don't find this class any more special than any other one. Westbrook looks pretty good and reasonably consistent and, with a good coach could do great things, but Hayes and Davis need some work IMO on both sides of the ball and I have no confidence they'll get the direction they need.

🤔 your commentpuzzles me. They all need work and will need to keep working to improve until they graduate. But the things I think that will make Davis special 1. Her athleticism is off the charts 2. She wants to learn and get better 3. She is an extremely intelligent young lady 4. She seems to want to work hard. If you didn’t see it the commentators were saying she was in the arena at 8:30 in the morning before SC’s shoot around. She was doing drills and getting shots up. When she came into the game it changed the complexion of the game as well. With confidence she will be one of the best players in the SEC and country. She said it when she was recruited “ I am the scorer in the group”. I guess the whole this class isnt any more special than another three me off. I’m sure that there are coaches out there who would love to have any of the four because they r special players. Development is key I agree with that much but to make it seem like this is just a run of the mill class confuses me.

Last edited:
I will never understand how a fan calls themselves adhering to standards by complaining about who is or isn't the coach. Kind of a shallow perspective....

The first 4 words in your reply says it all. I never said I was adhering to standards, the program standards are conference championships, Final 4s, national championships. When you fall short of that on a yearly basis and when you start losing to teams you should easily beat then those standards aren't being met and you have fallen to a level of mediocrity. If some of you are happy with the state of the program then that's fine, you're definitely entitied to that opinion and that happiness. However, myself and the majority of those who have watched this go from being a dominate national program to one that resides middle of the pack in the SEC more years than not we don't accept it. My opinion is Holly Warlick isn't just a mediocre or bad coach but one that absolutely sucks and I'm nowhere near alone in that assessment.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Staley LOVES having Holly around, she knows UT won't reach the heights they are supposed to reach with her at the helm, or how else do you think A'ja Wilson their best player missed TWO games this season and BOTH were against UT. Seems a pretty strange coincidence to me!

🤔 your commentpuzzles me. They all need work and will need to keep working to improve until they graduate. But the things I think that will make Davis special 1. Her athleticism is off the charts 2. She wants to learn and get better 3. She is an extremely intelligent young lady 4. She seems to want to work hard. If you didn’t see it the commentators were saying she was in the arena at 8:30 in the morning before SC’s shoot around. She was doing drills and getting shots up. When she came into the game it changed the complexion of the game as well. With confidence she will be one of the best players in the SEC and country. She said it when she was recruited “ I am the scorer in the group”. I guess the whole this class isnt any more special than another three me off. I’m sure that there are coaches out there who would love to have any of the four because they r special players. Development is key I agree with that much but to make it seem like this is just a run of the mill class confuses me.

Well, I agree Davis has good athleticism but I don't like her shot and I think she turns it over too much which unfortunately for our program has become the norm. From a fundamental point of view, she doesn't seem to get good balance or rotation. Several of her shots never seem to have a chance to me. Although her outside shot seems to have gotten better as the season has gone on, I don't feel comfortable with her doing anything except driving. I've felt much more excited for other Freshman in recent memory: Graves, Massengale, Simmons, Johnson, and Russell off the top of my head.

Again, I'm not saying she's bad or won't be a good contributor. I just don't see her or anyone as a savior or saving anyone's job.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, I agree Davis has good athleticism but I don't like her shot and I think she turns it over too much which unfortunately for our program has become the norm. From a fundamental point of view, she doesn't seem to get good balance or rotation. Several of her shots never seem to have a chance to me. Although her outside shot seems to have gotten better as the season has gone on, I don't feel comfortable with her doing anything except driving. I've felt much more excited for other Freshman in recent memory: Graves, Massengale, Simmons, Johnson, and Russell off the top of my head.

Again, I'm not saying she's bad or won't be a good contributor. I just don't see her or anyone as a savior or saving anyone's job.
Wow...just wow! Whoa!

thanks for the kind words, but I don't apologize for it and it's a shame you feel that way...we want the same thing...a successful Lady Vol program...we just see it in different ways...and, as always...

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 3 people

Not really sure what you're seeing, but the light is starting to come on for Davis and she looks like one of the most dynamic players we have had in a long time. I love what I see from her.

I think Staley LOVES having Holly around, she knows UT won't reach the heights they are supposed to reach with her at the helm, or how else do you think A'ja Wilson their best player missed TWO games this season and BOTH were against UT. Seems a pretty strange coincidence to me!

Holly has THREE CONSECUTIVE WINS against that great coach, Dawn Staley.

And it is Extremely Odd that Wilson does not play against Tennessee in either game this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Not really sure what you're seeing, but the light is starting to come on for Davis and she looks like one of the most dynamic players we have had in a long time. I love what I see from her.

I hope I'm wrong. I've only seen one player get noticeably better year after year from their Freshman year to their Senior year since our last national championship in 2008: that player was Izzy Harrison.

So, if that trend continues, none of our Freshman are good enough to save anyone's job now nor will they ever be. And honestly, I don't really want a player that will help keep a coach here that shouldn't be. I'd rather get a coach who knows how to coach.

They (this year's Freshman) will do about as good as every Senior class has done when they are Seniors. So, whatever you think about Nared and Russell now is about what I would expect us to feel about them in 3 years with the same coaching staff. That's not necessarily a bad thing but as someone else pointed out, Holly hasn't produced an All American and that doesn't sit well with me among all the other things to add to the pile.

People are actually criticizing Davis? After a big win where she scored a team high 18 points with 10 rebounds and a steal? She shot 47% and hit two 3s. Of all the FR, Davis has developed the fastest and has the fewest TOs. If you want to criticize poor shots and TOs, the PGs are generally bigger culprits than Davis.

IMO, yesterday was a game to appreciate more than criticize. The LVs out-hustled the 2 seed, played tough defense and all the regular starters were getting points in the paint. Why not enjoy it while we can?

VN Store

Back