Off Topic - Dawn files defamation lawsuit

Dawn Staley also suing Sterling for 75K!

And SEC reprimand and fine Jim Sterk 25K

"After the claims by Sterk were made, South Carolina athletics director Ray Tanner issued a statement saying the university had investigated the claims and uncovered no confirmed reports of them."

would love to know exactly how they "investigated the claims".

Reactions: 2 people
"After the claims by Sterk were made, South Carolina athletics director Ray Tanner issued a statement saying the university had investigated the claims and uncovered no confirmed reports of them."

They asked Staley.

Reactions: 6 people

We don’t know what happened at this game, it was very, very, physical and emotional. That been said, this could get very uncomfortable for Missouri a.d. and maybe coach’s and fans at South Carolina. Not a good thing.

Reactions: 1 person
Missouri administration got shown they should keep their mouth's shut and they wouldn't be looking as stupid and contributing to SEC coffers......no win from the get-go...:)...and,

GO LADY VOLS!

They claimed we used racial slurs...lol.....look at the number of blacks on Missouri compared to South Carolina...what a joke.We do not have a white player.....period. Their team is mostly white...

Last edited:
Are you suggesting they should not ask Staley? Surely talking to Staley is part of any thorough investigation.

I imagine he was suggesting that asking Staley was the beginning and the end of the SCe investigation. Probably at least somewhat tongue in cheek, I suspect.

They claimed we used racial slurs...lol.....look at the number of blacks on Missouri compared to South Carolina...what a joke.We do not have a white player.....period. Their team is mostly white...
maybe slurs against the white players? Who knows. Wonder which player was spat upon? Surely they have proof of that.

It's going to be interesting when these two teams meet on the hardwood again.
I might even tune it to see the fireworks.

Mizzou asked for it. Their admin was given ample opportunity to walk back inflammatory statements and they refused. Their AD has been sanctioned by the SEC and defied Sankey's attempts to mediate. Now they've opened their program and administration up to discovery.

Reactions: 3 people
I doubt it goes anywhere probably gets thrown out of court with both parties going their way in a draw. I doubt the SC investigation has any valid proof and it will be a he said she said total nothing. Good publicity though and should really be an intense rivalry for those two in years to come.

While there’s room to believe someone misunderstood some things that were said or done that day at South Carolina, the defensive response of Staley and South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner in the aftermath indicated they were more interested in being offended than in what actually happened.

As if they could magically account for the actions of all 13,433 in attendance that day.

Tanner conducted a RAPID investigation and found no evidence of the allegations — and thus concluded there was absolutely no one in the crowd who mistreated any of the MU delegation and that Mizzou had simply made the whole thing up.

Commentary: Double standard in punishment from SEC? | The State

As such, the SEC has assigned two office staff members, Tiffany Daniels, Associate Commissioner for Competition and Senior Woman Administrator, and William King, Associate Commissioner for Legal Affairs and Compliance, to work cooperatively with South Carolina Athletics Director Ray Tanner to review and, if necessary, further refine game management issues.

SEC fines Missouri AD Jim Sterk after Dawn Staley lawsuit | The State

why should they walk back anything when they were in the right?

That's an opinion. None of us are in possession of the facts of the case. But the statements were actionable, Mizzou's AD has been sanctioned and it will cost both schools a lot of time, money and wasted energy with little to gain. Does either program win?

I don't think Staley would have batted an eye if Sterk had just said some fans did "blank" and left it at that, but he blamed Staley for the fan's behavior. He said she promoted that behavior and atmosphere and felt it unfortunate that she felt she had to. That's where Staley takes offense and the reason for the lawsuit. I personally think he was out of line for that and should not have said it. It's one thing to speak out against the bad behavior of fans but quite another to blame a coach for it when when you have no reason to.

Reactions: 7 people
Not sure why Dawn feels need to keep this going on her end. SEC fined him, what possible outcome will vindicate her anymore? Why not just stay out of the mud slinging, she started, and let it go?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back