Three big reasons for the loss to Missouri

Benionsopinion

I have not seen anyone else's comments on today's loss ,but here are three big factors to me:

1- Poor three point defense--for the last ten years,the Lady Vols have neglected the three point line like the plague. One of the known things about Missouri is that they shoot three pointers,yet we left them wide open time after time. This was both a coaching error and a player's error. Just my thinking here,but it seemed that players were dropping into the paint area to help MR on defense. They should not have needed to do that

2--MR missed too many easy shots close to the basket,though there were extenuating circumstances as she was absolutely mauled all day. Also,she was a spectator too many times on defense.

3--The officiating was very poor,as MR and JN were continuously hammered with no calls made. Yet on the other end of the floor,touch fouls were the norm. I speak as a former basketball official when I say official's calls should be the same on both ends of the floor. Jamie was frustrated enough that she yelled at the refs after getting fouled for what should have been an and 1. She never received another call. Mercedes was used as a punching bag all day with no calls made. Our Ladied were seemingly discouraged by a lot of calls and non calls.

A final note here is that our Ladies showed their mettle by coming back and having a chance to tie the game in the waning seconds. This bodes well for them going forward.

Reactions: 6 people
3--The officiating was very poor,as MR and JN were continuously hammered with no calls made. Yet on the other end of the floor,touch fouls were the norm. I speak as a former basketball official when I say official's calls should be the same on both ends of the floor. Jamie was frustrated enough that she yelled at the refs after getting fouled for what should have been an and 1. She never received another call. Mercedes was used as a punching bag all day with no calls made. Our Ladied were seemingly discouraged by a lot of calls and non calls.

It wasn't the officials. They called a good game. Even that play when Jaim barked at the official, they should the replay and there was nothing to call.

Tennessee lost because they came out sloppy, played atrocious defense, and lacked the intensity that Mizzou played with.

Reactions: 11 people
-Lets not blame the refs.
-Mercedes was not mauled. Because she was struggling on both ends on the floor.
- Jaime along with everyone else were just driving to the basket and throwing the ball up, when the Mizzou players didn't even make contact.
-Most of our team could've fouled out we had two hands on them all game.

Reactions: 6 people
It wasn't the officials. They called a good game. Even that play when Jaim barked at the official, they should the replay and there was nothing to call.

Tennessee lost because they came out sloppy, played atrocious defense, and lacked the intensity that Mizzou played with.

Amb,I know you are always a defender of officials,as is your right,but I will repeat,it is never a well officiated game when the calls are not the same on both ends of the floor. Today was far from that. We will just agree to disagree.

Reactions: 8 people
Amb,I know you are always a defender of officials,as is your right,but I will repeat,it is never a well officiated game when the calls are not the same on both ends of the floor. Today was far from that. We will just agree to disagree.

Most of the times when people complain about the refs, they conveniently leave out the calls that didn't go against their team. In this game, they allowed contact in the paint, but called it tighter on the perimeter.

Reactions: 4 people
Going back to the last few years under PHS I said that we must recruit players that are allergic to the 3 point line because we never seem to go out and guard it.

You can go to any team's forum, of any game, and find fans who think their team did not get a fair deal from the refs. It's one thing that all sites have in common. A hometown biased view of the officiating.

Reactions: 5 people
1. Holly.
2. Holly.
3. Holly.

Kind of like real estate
Phil needs to quietly locate our next Coach.
Gently and with affection Show Holly the exit location.
Show our new Coach the location of our trophy 🏆 case and say this is what we expect from you. Just win.

Reactions: 8 people
Kind of like real estate
Phil needs to quietly locate our next Coach.
Gently and with affection Show Holly the exit location.
Show our new Coach the location of our trophy 🏆 case and say this is what we expect from you. Just win.

Complaining here won't spark change. If you're dissatisfied with the state of the program I would suggest voicing that to Fulmer and stop going to games/renewing tickets (that one seems to be taking care of itself)....

I was there we lost because Coach Pingeston can do a lot with less talent and Holly does less with a lot of talent. Missouri played with intensity, effort and a lot of energy, on paper, except for Cunningham we had them out matched, too bad we can’t win games on paper.

I was there we lost because Coach Pingeston can do a lot with less talent and Holly does less with a lot of talent. Missouri played with intensity, effort and a lot of energy, on paper, except for Cunningham we had them out matched, too bad we can’t win games on paper.
Bingo :rock:

Reactions: 2 people
We really did not look good today :(
If we can't defend the 3 there are plenty of teams that will pick us apart. The trajectory we are heading in leads right to Albany (and a short stay)

1. Cunningham had a great game. She scored a lot. But she didn't try to do too much. She also made all her teammates better and was a great floor leader.

2. Missouri has less talent and athleticism, but more discipline and better coaching. (If Nared hadn't gone rogue and taken all those tough shots – and made them – I don't know where Tennessee's offense would have come from. She must have been the designated Diamond Deshields today.) And Mizzou overcame a team that shot the threes better than they did!

3. Russell played poorly on both ends of the floor. She gets confused and makes slow decisions and poor judgments – when to shoot vs. when to kick out, when to help or come out on D and when not to, etc. Some nights she seems to be playing like a robot whose programming is running a little slow.

Interesting to note that the LV's still draw the biggest crowds on the road. A record today in COMO. A much bigger crowd than the National Champion brought in.

I hear people talk about Missouri and how great a team they are.... we were competitive, etc.... so out of curiosity I went down their roster....

First of all they take kids who are from Missouri.... which tells me that either they do not look for recruits nationally on a large scale, or (more likely) they presently are not as competitive for those recruits.....

Of their entire roster, only 2 players made the national Top 100 in any particular year.... Porter, who was #43 in 2014, and Cunningham, who was #28 in 2015. Only Cunningham was a McDonald's All American....

So obviously they develop their players well in the Mizzou basketball program. I congratulate them on their win today... and I hope we can defeat Florida this week

Of their entire roster, only 2 players made the national Top 100 in any particular year.... Porter, who was #43 in 2014, and Cunningham, who was #28 in 2015. Only Cunningham was a McDonald's All American....

So obviously they develop their players well in the Mizzou basketball program. I congratulate them on their win today... and I hope we can defeat Florida this week

Actually, you've got the wrong Porter. Bri Porter, Ciera's older sister, was the #43 recruit in 2014. Ciera was a 2015 recruit and I don't believe she was in the HG top 100 (but I seem to recall she was Blue Star rated). She was lost after tearing her ACL twice.

So Mizzou only has one ESPN Top 100 player on the roster, a #28. Tenn has eight, including five Top 12 ranked picks.

Last edited:
Actually, you've got the wrong Porter. Bri Porter, Ciera's older sister, was the #43 recruit in 2014. Ciera was a 2015 recruit and I don't believe she was in the HG top 100 (but I seem to recall she was Blue Star rated). She was lost after tearing her ACL twice.

So Mizzou only has one ESPN Top 100 player on the roster, a #28. Tenn has eight, including five Top 12 ranked picks.

Yes that makes the contrast even sharper.... Thank you for the correction

It's a shame BOTH Vol basketball programs are deep into an all out freefall. The hope and promise of the 1st half of the season has evaporated. Neither of these teams is going anywhere but early exits in the tournaments.

Holly is basically stealing money. She isn't helping these girls grow or improve as players. She just stands there with her hands on her hips and gives them high 5's after they throw the ball away or miss shots. She is so out of her league everytime she takes the court.

She'll lose some more sec games.....have an early exit in the sec tourney...get hammered in the NCAA's and STILL have all these dipsticks saying what a great year it was. "Nobody expected us to be good this year"...blahblahblahblahblahblah.

I have not seen anyone else's comments on today's loss ,but here are three big factors to me:

1- Poor three point defense--for the last ten years,the Lady Vols have neglected the three point line like the plague. One of the known things about Missouri is that they shoot three pointers,yet we left them wide open time after time. This was both a coaching error and a player's error. Just my thinking here,but it seemed that players were dropping into the paint area to help MR on defense. They should not have needed to do that

2--MR missed too many easy shots close to the basket,though there were extenuating circumstances as she was absolutely mauled all day. Also,she was a spectator too many times on defense.

A final note here is that our Ladies showed their mettle by coming back and having a chance to tie the game in the waning seconds. This bodes well for them going forward.

The only thing that bodes well for Lady Vol fans is to fire that imposter walking the sidelines pretending to be a coach.

4. Ineptitude: leaving Cheridene Green out the entire, or nearly entire, 2nd half when it was her aggression that powered the near comeback in Q2. Mercedes is so soft it makes me want to scream. You don’t build your offense on such a soft foundation. It’ll never hold up. This is okay though, the longer Holly demands nothing from her the more likely MR falls to 6 for my Wings to pick her up. It’ll only take a couple practices with Camb*tch before she learns some physicality.

VN Store

Back