Has Tyler gone into another career?

Vfl2407

Haven’t heard anything about him since Pats passing.
I had really hoped that he would get some quality counseling and able to make a comeback in coaching.

It would probably have to be a men’s team and probably at a lower level like a juco.
But, you would think some school would give him a second chance.

Of course, I’m sure he is set for life financially and won’t ever have to work again if he doesn’t want to.
Does anybody know if he is working anywhere out of coaching and is he living in Knoxville?

Yes, he embarrassed WCBB, his school and team, UT, and those close to him. But, he didn’t kill anyone. He didn’t purposely set out to hurt anyone (except possibly his wife).
This country has forgiven a lot of people for adultery.
Yes, the coach/student element makes it a lot worse.
But, yet again, he is far from the first man or woman who has violated that boundary.

Reactions: 3 people
I feel for him. At 23, I probably would’ve done the same. He was practically the same age as his players.

Reactions: 3 people
Such a double standard in our country. Just imagine if it was a female coach and male player. Would be no big deal

Reactions: 6 people
Such a double standard in our country. Just imagine if it was a female coach and male player. Would be no big deal

There’d be a headline...or a hundred.

Last edited:
Hopefully not coaching high school basketball

Probably not.
Definitely not a girls team.
But, I do think some small men’s college program might take him as an assistant coach.
He would first need to go hat in hand to their Administration admitting what he did was wrong and how he had learned from it.
Might need several psychologists, clergy to vouch for him.

Again, what he did was very very wrong.
But at 23, does he deserve a lifetime blacklisting?
We all were pretty darn stupid at 23, at least I was.

I don’t know Tyler.
But, I knew Pat a little.
And I know how much she adored Tyler.
Who knows what condition her mind was in when the scandal broke. In a way, I hope she was never told or wasn’t able to understand or remember.

But, if there is a basketball heaven, you know that Pat is watching over her only child and I bet she’s pulling for him to get another shot at coaching.
If, indeed, he wants to try it again and deal with the public criticism that will go along with it.

Am I totally off base?
Am I too forgiving?
Are my glasses too orange colored with memories of young Tyler in Pats arms after all of our past glory days?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
some are still stupid at 63, but not me. lol

Gule, would love your opinion on this.
You are very close to the program and we all know how much you love the LVs.
Do you know Tyler personally?

Why do I get the feeling that this thread is from the same group that were clamouring for UT to hire Tyler Summitt to coach here. Anyone out there still want to admit that you posted that?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Why do I get the feeling that this thread is from the same group that we're clamouring for UT to hire Tyler Summitt to coach here. Anyone out there still want to admit that you posted that?

No.
I don’t know of such a group.
I do not think Tyler should Coach a female team.
Maybe you should read the thread again.

Tyler's divorced, living in Knoxville and working on his MBA at UT. He's involved with Pat's foundation and other charitable causes.

He has a college degree and will soon have a master's so he's qualified for many jobs beyond coaching.

Reactions: 9 people
Tyler's divorced, living in Knoxville and working on his MBA at UT. He's involved with Pat's foundation and other charitable causes.

He has a college degree and will soon have a master's so he's qualified for many jobs beyond coaching.

Thanks so much for the update

Reactions: 1 person
Probably not.
Definitely not a girls team.
But, I do think some small men’s college program might take him as an assistant coach.
He would first need to go hat in hand to their Administration admitting what he did was wrong and how he had learned from it.
Might need several psychologists, clergy to vouch for him.

Again, what he did was very very wrong.
But at 23, does he deserve a lifetime blacklisting?
We all were pretty darn stupid at 23, at least I was.

I don’t know Tyler.
But, I knew Pat a little.
And I know how much she adored Tyler.
Who knows what condition her mind was in when the scandal broke. In a way, I hope she was never told or wasn’t able to understand or remember.

But, if there is a basketball heaven, you know that Pat is watching over her only child and I bet she’s pulling for him to get another shot at coaching.
If, indeed, he wants to try it again and deal with the public criticism that will go along with it.

Am I totally off base?
Am I too forgiving?
Are my glasses too orange colored with memories of young Tyler in Pats arms after all of our past glory days?

You know, Tyler had another parent.
Tyler is not be totally of Pat's genes. Could be different than we think at times. Or other wise.... Just different than both...

Sure. What does she have to do with the question at hand? She coached women's basketball, not men's.

An affair with one of your players is wrong...regardless of what gender you are coaching. No difference. And she doesn’t get a pass...she was much older than Tyler was and should have known better although he should have, too.

Reactions: 2 people
An affair with one of your players is wrong...regardless of what gender you are coaching. No difference. And she doesn’t get a pass...she was much older than Tyler was and should have known better although he should have, too.

Yes, I really don't understand the distinction that the poster was trying to make. Both cases present a major violation of your institutional responsibility. Tyler was also married so that is that additional violation trust.

There is no way he will ever coach a women's program, particularly in the #metoo era, but even without that:

TS: I would love for your17-18 year old daughter to play for my program.

Parents: And you promise to not have sex with you like you did at LATech.

TS: I promise!

Parents - okay, she is all yours. We are all about forgiveness, live and let live we say!

But for all the Tyler is the next great hope, there is no "coaching gene." Just because his mom was a legend does not mean that TS is by genetic birth right a great coach in waiting.

Yes, I really don't understand the distinction that the poster was trying to make. Both cases present a major violation of your institutional responsibility. Tyler was also married so that is that additional violation trust.

There is no way he will ever coach a women's program, particularly in the #metoo era, but even without that:

TS: I would love for your17-18 year old daughter to play for my program.

Parents: And you promise to not have sex with you like you did at LATech.

TS: I promise!

Parents - okay, she is all yours. We are all about forgiveness, live and let live we say!

But for all the Tyler is the next great hope, there is no "coaching gene." Just because his mom was a legend does not mean that TS is by genetic birth right a great coach in waiting.

If he is still interested in coaching and willing to take an assistant position with a men’s team, not a women’s team, why wouldn’t that be ok?

VN Store

Back