Would Fulmer hire an LV Coach without UT ties?

Vfl2407

I don’t think he fires Holly this year unless something crazy happens like a first round NCAA loss.
But, let’s speculate on when Holly does leave for whatever reason.
We know Phil just hired a Bammer for football
But, I think that was very different.
Phil was reportedly very personally close to Pat and also to Holly. He knows and understands the program especially with his daughters beingLVs in other sports.

I think he would only hire a female and only one with UT background or ties.
What do you guys that know Fulmer well think on this subject?

Is Tara a Stanford grad?
Does Muffet have a Notre Dame undergrad degree?
Dawn go to school at So. Car.?
Brenda? Geno? Vic?
The Princeton coach, who is first-rate, played for Dartmouth, a Princeton arch-rival.

At some programs, competence is more important than tribal purity.

Reactions: 16 people
I don’t think he fires Holly this year unless something crazy happens like a first round NCAA loss.
Phil was reportedly very personally close to Pat and also to Holly. He knows and understands the program especially with his daughters beingLVs in other sports.

Based on his football hire?

I feel sure he'll hire the best coach available-- male, female, alum, non-alum. But IDT he'll ever fire Holly-- and not just because they have a long-term friendship. She'll either retire or they'll create another position for her. But not anytime soon.

Is Tara a Stanford grad?
Does Muffet have a Notre Dame undergrad degree?
Dawn go to school at So. Car.?
Brenda? Geno? Vic?
The Princeton coach, who is first-rate, played for Dartmouth, a Princeton arch-rival.

At some programs, competence is more important than tribal purity.

:eek:hmy:

100114_pit_crawford_granny_twitter_i48o6hq4.gif

You and so many others always say she won't be fired this year, every year. When is enough, enough? Phil got fired and he won a natty. Holly's record is not terrible in comparison to other coaches, but with the talent she has had, it is. Her teams have no discipline, don't play defense, and have never had an offensive scheme that works consistently. It is the coach. Fire Holly this year and things will improve.

In answer to your UT ties question. Holly played and coached at UT, do you think that made her a great coach?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
You and so many others always say she won't be fired this year, every year. When is enough, enough? Phil got fired and he won a natty. Holly's record is not terrible in comparison to other coaches, but with the talent she has had, it is. Her teams have no discipline, don't play defense, and have never had an offensive scheme that works consistently. It is the coach. Fire Holly this year and things will improve.

I think a lot of people agree that Tennessee would be much improved if they could replace Holly, but there is also a resignation that she's winning enough games that she won't be let go. Plus, there's more pressure and less tolerance for a slumping football team than a WCBB program.

If next year is her last year on contract, what I expect is that in a rebuilding year, Tennessee will do even worse than they have the last several years, and hopefully her contract will not be renewed. Whoever replaces her will unlikely have immediate success, but if they hire a coach with the proper attributes, they will have a chance to get Tennessee back in the national spotlight, not as a running joke as has been the case with Holly. Nice Lady, but she's the same thing that Tyler was. Says the same words, gives the same speeches, implements the same policies, but lacks the personality, charisma and authority to get the same results. She's like a 3rd rate tribute act, and it's clear that she doesn't have a backup plan beyond, "What would Pat say?"

Holly has a contract. There is no way the university is going to continue to pay her under her current contract (a buyout) while at the same time paying a new coach for a program that loses money every year.

Football is different because of the huge potential payoffs for a successful program. A short-term hit could return a windfall to the school if the new football coach can get the school into a top bowl game.

Money is what drives these decisions, not loyalty or the desire of a handful of fans to return to the grandeur of yesteryear.

Holly has a contract. There is no way the university is going to continue to pay her under her current contract (a buyout) while at the same time paying a new coach for a program that loses money every year.

Football is different because of the huge potential payoffs for a successful program. A short-term hit could return a windfall to the school if the new football coach can get the school into a top bowl game.

Money is what drives these decisions, not loyalty or the desire of a handful of fans to return to the grandeur of yesteryear.

While it is true that money is a factor, $650k or whatever is a drop in the bucket to immediately satisfy the legion of LV fans that have been donating to the University. Not only that, it just needs to be done now, not tomorrow.

#1 Good point. Happy that you're admitting that NO other top program would hire her and offset the buyout. That's what fans have been saying for years now. Thus UT will be forced eat the entire cost.

#2 That must be one pretty big hand.
5.jpg

It would not surprise me if Holly got a contract extension, regardless what happens the rest of the year.

I feel most regard the Lady Vols basketball program post Pat pretty much the same as the price of eggs in China. It really ain't worth the wear and tear on the hen's ass. So as long as they can find a shred of justification in not firing Holly, they will do it and Fulmer knows the words and notes of that song by heart. Lady Vols basketball is now like Army football. Get used to it.

Reactions: 2 people

In answer to your UT ties question. Holly played and coached at UT, do you think that made her a great coach?

The OP is about what I think Fulmer does. Not what I think.
He is a coaches AD.
He honors longevity.
He doesn’t need another buyout.
He doesn’t want to do another coaching search.
He personally likes Holly and thinks Pat would still want her.

Richt consistently won 9- 10 games and got fired! He had the talent to win more.......so has Holly. :ermm:

Yes, but Phil just doesn’t have the desire to do so.
He is laser focused on getting football turned around.
He won’t fire any Coach unless they embarrass us nationally.

Reactions: 1 person

You talk like you know Phil personally and have talked to him about these matters. Why in your opinion would firing Holly be so hard for him to do. Are you of the opinion that he doesn't care about the success of the LV program? He has only been on the job now for two months or so and we all know of his love for UT. I hope that will motivate him to make a move for the sake of the program.

I think Phil will nor extend her contract and Holly resigns "with honor" next year. Then he hires Nikki.

Just saying LV fans feel the same way ga fans felt about the level of achievements in relation to the talent on hand. Can't speak for everyone,this fan feels that way.

VN Store

Back