Poy?

Who should be POY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bballnut90

I posted this on the UCONN board...curious to see what Tennessee fans are thinking in regards to POY favorites. I only listed players that I think have a realistic shot of winning the award, so if your choice isn't listed, please choose "other" and post who you'd pick and why.

Here are the candidates:

Katie Lou Samuelson, Connecticut
17.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.4 apg, 2.7 A/TO ratio, 52% FG, 46% 3pt

Why she's a top candidate: She's been the best player for the #1 team who is also undefeated. She's had great games in every big matchup and is unquestionably one of the best scorers in the country.

What's working against her: She's missed 5 games due to injury and has played limited minutes in several others. Her numbers are not as strong as several other candidates.

A'ja Wilson, South Carolina
22.7 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 3.6 bpg, 55.5% FG

Why she's a top candidate: She has the whole package-great stats, name recognition, good performances against top teams (sans the UCONN game), the eye test says she's the top player

What's working against her: Her team just isn't very good this year. They're a 5 loss team and it's rare that we see a player take home POY who isn't on a top 5 team. The only exceptions in the last 20 years was Plum winning, and Kelsey had a far stronger season than A'ja is having this year.

Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State
19.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 50.3% FG, 40.2% 3pt, 82.4% FT

Why she's a top candidate: Eye test says she might be the best scorer in women's basketball this year. She can score in a variety of ways and is capable of taking over and carrying her team. She has massive performances in the biggest of games, she's very efficient and she's led her team to an undefeated season so far.

What's working against her: One could make an argument that she isn't the best player on her team. McCowan's numbers are more eye popping and she's by far the most improved player on the team, so this can hurt Vivians chances. She also doesn't have the name recognition that A'ja Wilson or others on this list do.

Kalani Brown, Baylor
20.2 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 67.1 FG%

Why she's a top candidate: Very similar to McCowan, her numbers are phenomenal. Extremely efficient player and eye test says she's the top offensive center in the country. Baylor has been outstanding this season and Brown is the centerpiece of that.

What's working against her: She's really only played a handful of good teams and I think an argument can be made that Cox or Wallace have been the best player on Baylor this season. Defensively she doesn't stand out and her shot blocking numbers are quite poor for someone her size.

Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
19.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 7.5 apg, 2.4 A/TO ratio, 46.3% FG, 46% 3pt

Why she's a top candidate: Her numbers are ridiculous. We've never seen a player in women's basketball fill up a stat sheet like Ionescu does night in and night out. She's turned into a dead eye shooter and might be the best playmaker in the country. Outstanding passer and scorer.

What's working against her: Her team has struggled a bit as of late and she doesn't have the name recognition that others on this list do. People aren't sure what to make of Oregon either....their best wins are against an overrated UCLA team and 2 wins against streaky Texas A&M. Doesn't stand out defensively.

Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
24.6 ppg, 4.2 apg, 1.8 A/TO, 46% FG, 40% 3pt, 86% FT

Why she's a top candidate: Name recognition and statistics. She's a fantastic scorer and despite her reputation as being a chucker, she's pretty efficient and does a good job of getting her teammates involved.

What's working against her: Ohio State is a pretty bad team. They aren't getting a seed if the tournament started today, yet they have the talent to be a top 5 team. She also hasn't been as dominant as she has in prior seasons and doesn't do a ton defensively.

Asia Durr, Louisville
19.8 ppg, 47.6% FG, 46.4% 3pt,

Why she's a top candidate: She has dominated in big games. Her performances against Ohio State, Oregon and Notre Dame were nothing short of spectacular. She's been the centerpiece on an overachieving team that is position to get a #1 seed, and has emerged as possibly the most dangerous player in the country.

What's working against her: She doesn't really impact the game outside of her ability to score. Her stats are quite weak and she doesn't have the all around game or 2 end impact that most POYs do.

Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
19.0 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 1.9 bpg, 61.8% FG

Why she's a top candidate: Her numbers are simply astounding and match up well with anyone. She's turned in massive rebounding games against quality bigs and put up 35/19 against a good Oregon team. Her team is also undefeated.

What's working against her: Eye test doesn't spell POY. Her offensive game is raw despite the phenomenal numbers, and the go to player on her team is clearly Vivians. Defensively she could be much more impactful with her 6-7 height and big frame. She struggled offensively against Wilson and Russell and doesn't have name recognition either.

Out of these players, my pick would be Wilson at 1 and Vivians at 1a. Either can dominate a game in different ways and both have stepped up to the plate in a big way their final season. I think Wilson is the best player, but I'd argue Vivians is having a better season. Wilson will likely take home the hardware, but if I'm voting, it's a toss up between these two for me.

I posted this on the UCONN board...curious to see what Tennessee fans are thinking in regards to POY favorites. I only listed players that I think have a realistic shot of winning the award, so if your choice isn't listed, please choose "other" and post who you'd pick and why.

Here are the candidates:

Katie Lou Samuelson, Connecticut
17.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.4 apg, 2.7 A/TO ratio, 52% FG, 46% 3pt

Why she's a top candidate: She's been the best player for the #1 team who is also undefeated. She's had great games in every big matchup and is unquestionably one of the best scorers in the country.

What's working against her: She's missed 5 games due to injury and has played limited minutes in several others. Her numbers are not as strong as several other candidates.

Why she's a top candidate: She has the whole package-great stats, name recognition, good performances against top teams (sans the UCONN game), the eye test says she's the top player

What's working against her: Her team just isn't very good this year. They're a 5 loss team and it's rare that we see a player take home POY who isn't on a top 5 team. The only exceptions in the last 20 years was Plum winning, and Kelsey had a far stronger season than A'ja is having this year.

Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State
19.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 50.3% FG, 40.2% 3pt, 82.4% FT

Why she's a top candidate: Eye test says she might be the best scorer in women's basketball this year. She can score in a variety of ways and is capable of taking over and carrying her team. She has massive performances in the biggest of games, she's very efficient and she's led her team to an undefeated season so far.

What's working against her: One could make an argument that she isn't the best player on her team. McCowan's numbers are more eye popping and she's by far the most improved player on the team, so this can hurt Vivians chances. She also doesn't have the name recognition that A'ja Wilson or others on this list do.

Kalani Brown, Baylor
20.2 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 67.1 FG%

Why she's a top candidate: Very similar to McCowan, her numbers are phenomenal. Extremely efficient player and eye test says she's the top offensive center in the country. Baylor has been outstanding this season and Brown is the centerpiece of that.

What's working against her: She's really only played a handful of good teams and I think an argument can be made that Cox or Wallace have been the best player on Baylor this season. Defensively she doesn't stand out and her shot blocking numbers are quite poor for someone her size.

Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
19.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 7.5 apg, 2.4 A/TO ratio, 46.3% FG, 46% 3pt

Why she's a top candidate: Her numbers are ridiculous. We've never seen a player in women's basketball fill up a stat sheet like Ionescu does night in and night out. She's turned into a dead eye shooter and might be the best playmaker in the country. Outstanding passer and scorer.

What's working against her: Her team has struggled a bit as of late and she doesn't have the name recognition that others on this list do. People aren't sure what to make of Oregon either....their best wins are against an overrated UCLA team and 2 wins against streaky Texas A&M. Doesn't stand out defensively.

Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
24.6 ppg, 4.2 apg, 1.8 A/TO, 46% FG, 40% 3pt, 86% FT

Why she's a top candidate: Name recognition and statistics. She's a fantastic scorer and despite her reputation as being a chucker, she's pretty efficient and does a good job of getting her teammates involved.

What's working against her: Ohio State is a pretty bad team. They aren't getting a seed if the tournament started today, yet they have the talent to be a top 5 team. She also hasn't been as dominant as she has in prior seasons and doesn't do a ton defensively.

Asia Durr, Louisville
19.8 ppg, 47.6% FG, 46.4% 3pt,

Why she's a top candidate: She has dominated in big games. Her performances against Ohio State, Oregon and Notre Dame were nothing short of spectacular. She's been the centerpiece on an overachieving team that is position to get a #1 seed, and has emerged as possibly the most dangerous player in the country.

What's working against her: She doesn't really impact the game outside of her ability to score. Her stats are quite weak and she doesn't have the all around game or 2 end impact that most POYs do.

Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
19.0 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 1.9 bpg, 61.8% FG

Why she's a top candidate: Her numbers are simply astounding and match up well with anyone. She's turned in massive rebounding games against quality bigs and put up 35/19 against a good Oregon team. Her team is also undefeated.

What's working against her: Eye test doesn't spell POY. Her offensive game is raw despite the phenomenal numbers, and the go to player on her team is clearly Vivians. Defensively she could be much more impactful with her 6-7 height and big frame. She struggled offensively against Wilson and Russell and doesn't have name recognition either.

Out of these players, my pick would be Wilson at 1 and Vivians at 1a. Either can dominate a game in different ways and both have stepped up to the plate in a big way their final season. I think Wilson is the best player, but I'd argue Vivians is having a better season. Wilson will likely take home the hardware, but if I'm voting, it's a toss up between these two for me.

Why would you put Teaira McCowan over Mercedes Russell, Russell has beat here one on one every time they have played.

Reactions: 2 people
I chose KLS. There just isn’t a player in the country that has her skill set at her height! The only thing I thought that was holding her back from being a POY type player was her defense and it has improved tremendously this year. Like you said, she’s the best player on the best team, that could work against her but I honestly believe UCONN wouldn’t be as good as they are without KLS. She’s the key piece to their puzzle!

Reactions: 4 people
Why would you put Teaira McCowan over Mercedes Russell, Russell has beat here one on one every time they have played.

McCowan scored a whole 4 or 5 points less than Russell, but outrebounded her by 14. There's no question Teaira came out ahead in that matchup.

Reactions: 1 person
McCowan scored a whole 4 or 5 points less than Russell, but outrebounded her by 14. There's no question Teaira came out ahead in that matchup.

I’ll take Russell as far as pro prospects she will be able to do more at the next level McCowan may have her rebounding wise but Russell’s jumper will allow a coach to utilize her to take other bigs off the dribble (not like Wilson) but pretty good. McCowan will need to be better conditioned and develop a jumper so other big bodies don’t collapse on her and keep her from getting easy put backs. I want to see her versus another player like K. Brown. We know last year Russell had a way with all Baylor’s bigs I’d be interested to see how McCowan does. I’m sure she will have the chance to clean up a lot of misses again next year with 4 new starters in the line up and her being the complete focal point could change her game and elevate it.

I’ll take Russell as far as pro prospects she will be able to do more at the next level McCowan may have her rebounding wise but Russell’s jumper will allow a coach to utilize her to take other bigs off the dribble (not like Wilson) but pretty good. McCowan will need to be better conditioned and develop a jumper so other big bodies don’t collapse on her and keep her from getting easy put backs. I want to see her versus another player like K. Brown. We know last year Russell had a way with all Baylor’s bigs I’d be interested to see how McCowan does. I’m sure she will have the chance to clean up a lot of misses again next year with 4 new starters in the line up and her being the complete focal point could change her game and elevate it.

I think it's silly to even have Russell in conversation for POY right now. Theoretically, she could play herself onto the final ballot like Napheesa Collier did last year, but I doubt it. I personally think Kalani Brown is a lock for 1st team AA, and McCowan should be a lock for the WBCA team. I don't see Russell being in contention for either.

As far as pro prospects, I agree that Russell is a more complete offensive player than Teaira and can score in a greater variety of ways. But even if Teaira only has 1 or 2 post moves, the fact that she's putting up 19 pts with that limited arsenal is not something that should work against her in POY voting. I'm also not entirely convinced that Russell is a better pro prospect right now because McCowan is so much better than she is at controlling the boards, and that's something that's just as important as scoring. I think scouts will look at her the same was as they did Alaina Coates, as a player who's skillset is still developing, but has a much higher ceiling than someone like Russell.

I chose KLS. There just isn’t a player in the country that has her skill set at her height! The only thing I thought that was holding her back from being a POY type player was her defense and it has improved tremendously this year. Like you said, she’s the best player on the best team, that could work against her but I honestly believe UCONN wouldn’t be as good as they are without KLS. She’s the key piece to their puzzle!

I think that a strong case could be made for KLS, Wilson and Vivians. I think it's Wilson's to lose at this point because she was the pre-season pick, is having a career season, has better stats than anyone else, SC is a top 10 team and A'ja is the most crucial to her team if they are thinking of NPOY as an MVP type award.

Personally, I'd like to see Vivians get it.

I think it's silly to even have Russell in conversation for POY right now. Theoretically, she could play herself onto the final ballot like Napheesa Collier did last year, but I doubt it. I personally think Kalani Brown is a lock for 1st team AA, and McCowan should be a lock for the WBCA team. I don't see Russell being in contention for either.

As far as pro prospects, I agree that Russell is a more complete offensive player than Teaira and can score in a greater variety of ways. But even if Teaira only has 1 or 2 post moves, the fact that she's putting up 19 pts with that limited arsenal is not something that should work against her in POY voting. I'm also not entirely convinced that Russell is a better pro prospect right now because McCowan is so much better than she is at controlling the boards, and that's something that's just as important as scoring. I think scouts will look at her the same was as they did Alaina Coates, as a player who's skillset is still developing, but has a much higher ceiling than someone like Russell.

And that’s where I disagree I think Russell’s ceiling is just as high if not higher because you will be able to move her around more. Coates is gonna be a good player but when I think long term if Russell and McCowan both develop I think Russell has a different level she can get too. The best thing about this is we will have a chance. I guarantee if Mike T from the mystics gets a hold of her he will make her a very solid player. He helped take Krystal thomas to an elite level and she had decent skill set but he helped her rebounding, scoring, and defensive presence.

And that’s where I disagree I think Russell’s ceiling is just as high if not higher because you will be able to move her around more. Coates is gonna be a good player but when I think long term if Russell and McCowan both develop I think Russell has a different level she can get too. The best thing about this is we will have a chance. I guarantee if Mike T from the mystics gets a hold of her he will make her a very solid player. He helped take Krystal thomas to an elite level and she had decent skill set but he helped her rebounding, scoring, and defensive presence.

I think Russell has all the tools but lacks aggression and that all out hustle that you see from McCowan and Coates. You can't teach that. McCowan is on the ground scrambling after loose balls every game, and I rarely if ever see that kind of motor from MR. For me, it's not the skills but the intensity that's missing from MR. She plays very casually.

If she played with the same intensity that Teaira does game in and game out, I don't believe this would even be a discussion.

I do think MR will have a good career, but I think McCowan will end up with the better career when it's all said and done.

Last edited:
No love for Kelsey Mitchell, who's on track to end up as the 3rd all-time scoring leader in WCBB? Last year Kelsey Plum was POY, largely because she ended as the 1st all-time scoring leader.

I think Russell has all the tools but lacks aggression and that all out hustle that you see from McCowan and Coates. You can't teach that. McCowan is on the ground scrambling after loose balls every game, and I rarely if ever see that kind of motor from MR. For me, it's not the skills but the intensity that's missing from MR. She plays very casually.

If she played with the same intensity that Teaira does game in and game out, I don't believe this would even be a discussion.

I do think MR will have a good career, but I think McCowan will end up with the better career when it's all said and done.

If she ends up in wash or conn. she will be a totally more aggressive person bank on that.

If you watch the game Russell had to leave her man McCowan to guard one of Mississippi State 4 senior guards that beat one of our freshman guards. This left McCowan alone to get the rebound. Tennessee is the worst block out team that I have ever watch play the game of basketball. Tennessee never gives Russell any help while the other team always double Mercedes Russell. If McCowan stays in collage next year she will be treated like Russell and we will see how she handles it.

Last edited:
If you watch the game Russell had to leave her man McCowan to guard one of Mississippi Stare 4 senior guards that beat one of our freshman guards. This left McCowan alone to get the rebound. Tennessee is the worst block out team that I have ever watch play the game of basketball. Tennessee never gives Russell any help while the other team always double Mercedes Russell. If McCowan stays in collage next year she will be treated like Russell and we will see how she handles it.

Actually, I do watch the games, thank you. If you watch the games, then you'll see Mercedes standing out of bounds underneath the basket watching while McCowan grabs 2-3 offensive rebounds. Or when Mercedes switches on a guard who jacks up a 3, she'll stand there with her arm outstretched while turning her head towards the basket to decide if she should start running the other way if one of her teammates gets the board. The difference in those situations is after the shot goes up, McCowan will turn and run towards the basket to try to get in rebounding position. Mercedes is a very good rebounder once she's in position, but she's all too happy to just stand there and let one of her teammates try to grab it.

McCowan outplayed her on both ends of the court. McCowan was a few points off her season average, but she was a factor the whole 40 minutes whereas Mercedes all but disappeared after the first half.

Actually, I do watch the games, thank you. If you watch the games, then you'll see Mercedes standing out of bounds underneath the basket watching while McCowan grabs 2-3 offensive rebounds. Or when Mercedes switches on a guard who jacks up a 3, she'll stand there with her arm outstretched while turning her head towards the basket to decide if she should start running the other way if one of her teammates gets the board. The difference in those situations is after the shot goes up, McCowan will turn and run towards the basket to try to get in rebounding position. Mercedes is a very good rebounder once she's in position, but she's all too happy to just stand there and let one of her teammates try to grab it.

McCowan outplayed her on both ends of the court. McCowan was a few points off her season average, but she was a factor the whole 40 minutes whereas Mercedes all but disappeared after the first half.

So far your great Teaira McCowan has 0 votes.

What's working against her: Her team just isn't very good this year. They're a 5 loss team and it's rare that we see a player take home POY who isn't on a top 5 team.

Her team just isn't very good? C'mon... :jpshakehead:

I would also take Mercedes, over McCowan and Brown as I think she has more upside and is more mobile. If KLS continues she will take it as above there isn't another player at her size with the skills she has. Wilson IMO hasn't developed away from the basket and Mercedes is FG 63% to Wilsons FG 55%.

VN Store

Back