HOLLY could be the worst coach....

roddo518

Coach
In the top 25 coaching group. Ive seen this before, I've coached sports for twenty years. The assistant coach is the friend, the go between from the head coach that makes you cry with the rigors of performance and being fit and the arse chewings that ensue. It's a difficult transition to go from friend to head coach. Holly was a great player, and a great assistant. The head coach has to be the disciplinarian, the guy that the players respect and sometimes hates. But the success that the team gains from that makes the players love them. Holly is not that and can never be that. I use to cuss my greatest head coach under my breath during practice. I never really felt comfortable during my playing career around him, but I realized later that he was just pushing all the buttons to make us all better. The Lady Vols discipline and conditioning is so lacking. We should not be brought down to the wire by a .500 team, and never give up double digit leads to any team with the talent we have. We are soft and it is the reflection of the coach or should I say friend.

Reactions: 29 people
I agree. The team is lazy and cannot play defense. I predict any coach worth his salt will knock them out of tourney by 2nd round.. All you have to do is dribble drive on them for lay ups all game long.

Reactions: 9 people
All true, but she will not be fired. There are simply not enough people who care to make the change happen.

Reactions: 6 people
All true, but she will not be fired. There are simply not enough people who care to make the change happen.

She also wins just enough that she won't be fired.

But this is easily fixed by adjusting expectations.

30 win seasons? Naw, 20 wins is good enough.

Top 5 ranking? Eh....top 15 is good enough.

SEC Titles? We should settle for finishing in the top 4. Yaaaay!

Final Four? Men's teams would be happy to make the Sweet 16. We should too!

Reactions: 16 people
This is what you get when you have 2 glaring negative factors during the season she was hired ...

#1 Weak leadership in the AD. Kind of mirrors your sentiments on HC and players. Except it's admins and coaches here. Because our AD admins were disconnected and weak leaders, the departing (& legendary) retiring coach was allowed the power to pick a successor to the #1 WCBB program in the nation. Not one single interview was held of a single elite candidate across the entire nation. Regardless of the fact that she was the greatest WCBB coach in history should NOT usurp proper authority of the AD. Out of the top 10 best candidates in the nation, we could have probably hired 5 regardless of their situation. Instead we got the legends friend. Fault = Athletic Dept.

#2 The fanbase was 99% supportive (not myself btw) because of emotional weakness. Fans were willing to throw proper leadership on it's head because "Pat had earned the right". Emotions confused the greatest coach ever with strong AD leadership and responsibility. This support exacerbated the weak AD, making their resistance futile. Had any AD bucked the hiring plan during that time, they would have been run out of town on a rail. To this day there is certainly a large group within the fanbase who would see replacing a failing coach as a personal assault on a legend. That mindset will help seal our descent to the 2nd (or maybe worse) level of the Sport. To avert this, someone will have to be a strong enough leader to tear that band-aid off. Fault = Fanbase.

These 2 factors have lowered us from elite status to only good. It can be reversed when someone leads us back to the disciplined approach that CPS used to build with. It's so easy succumb to weak mindedness. Especially when your having just enough success to keep a facade of greatness. Unfortunately, one or more other programs out there are going to get their act(s) together. They will take over the elite position in the sport, while the UTLV succumb to the collapse of sedition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
This is what you get when you have 2 glaring negative factors during the season she was hired ...

#1 Weak leadership in the AD. Kind of mirrors your sentiments on HC and players. Except it's admins and coaches here. Because our AD admins were disconnected and weak leaders, the departing (& legendary) retiring coach was allowed the power to pick a successor to the #1 WCBB program in the nation. Not one single interview was held of a single elite candidate across the entire nation. Regardless of the fact that she was the greatest WCBB coach in history should NOT usurp proper authority of the AD. Out of the top 10 best candidates in the nation, we could have probably hired 5 regardless of their situation. Instead we got the legends friend. Fault = Athletic Dept.

#2 The fanbase was 99% supportive (not myself btw) because of emotional weakness. Fans were willing to throw proper leadership on it's head because "Pat had earned the right". Emotions confused the greatest coach ever with strong AD leadership and responsibility. This support exacerbated the weak AD, making their resistance futile. Had any AD bucked the hiring plan during that time, they would have been run out of town on a rail. To this day there is certainly a large group within the fanbase who would see replacing a failing coach as a personal assault on a legend. That mindset will help seal our descent to the 2nd (or maybe worse) level of the Sport. To avert this, someone will have to be a strong enough leader to tear that band-aid off. Fault = Fanbase.

These 2 factors have lowered us from elite status to only good. It can be reversed when someone leads us back to the disciplined approach that CPS used to build with. It's so easy succumb to weak mindedness. Especially when your having just enough success to keep a facade of greatness. Unfortunately, one or more other programs out there are going to get their act(s) together. They will take over the elite position in the sport, while the UTLV succumb to the collapse of sedition.

Explained perfectly :good!:

Reactions: 5 people
I do think a mentally healthy Pat Summitt observing Holly's coaching today would say she just doesn't have what it takes if she was being honest friendship aside.

She has yet to get the right mix of 5 star/McDonalds All American players to really gauge her performance. Only 8 of them on this roster.

Reactions: 3 people
She has yet to get the right mix of 5 star/McDonalds All American players to really gauge her performance. Only 8 of them on this roster.

LOL.

Incredibly and thankfully she's still getting them. The legend of the house that CPS built casts a long shadow. When that shadow starts to fade, watch out.

Reactions: 4 people
If it’s as you all say, and she truly cares about the Lady Vol program, shouldn’t she just step down?

Reactions: 8 people
LOL.

Incredibly and thankfully she's still getting them. The legend of the house that CPS built casts a long shadow. When that shadow starts to fade, watch out.

The team went 5 years under CPS without making it to the final four (though she was ill during several of those) and I believe Holly is now in year six. The shadow of the final fours does not last that long in the dynamic of elite recruiting.

So, you have to give Holly credit for the talent she has brought in.

She also wins just enough that she won't be fired.

But this is easily fixed by adjusting expectations.

Top 5 ranking? Eh....top 15 is good enough.

SEC Titles? We should settle for finishing in the top 4. Yaaaay!

Final Four? Men's teams would be happy to make the Sweet 16. We should too!

our terrible admin is the blame, maybe Phil will be a real AD

Why don’t you all put down your imaginary pitchforks and put together a petition or write some letters to the AD!

Make an attempt to right the wrongs here at UT.

Make your voices heard people! :)

Reactions: 1 person
I pull for the team and Holly, but there is just not the fight in most of the team that opponents seem to have. The other team hustles and gets loose balls and rebounds while the LVs just stand around and watch them. We have beaten some weaker teams just because of better talent, but always get outplayed and out hustled. It is very frustrating to watch.

Reactions: 2 people
Stop the turnovers and play some defense is the two things that would make us a better team. We seem to be unable to cross that bridge to get the hustle we need on defense. I think the offensive turnovers are on Holly requesting passes to Russell even when she is tripled teamed.

Reactions: 1 person
Stop the turnovers and play some defense is the two things that would make us a better team. We seem to be unable to cross that bridge to get the hustle we need on defense. I think the offensive turnovers are on Holly requesting passes to Russell even when she is tripled teamed.

You really believe Holly tells her girls to pass to Russell when she is triple teamed.....even double teamed, you really think she goes into practice and instructs them to throw passes to Russell with that type of coverage?

I did notice that a MUCH bigger deal has been made by Tennessee about the "42nd consecutive 20-win season" than I would have expected.

Twenty-win seasons are supposed to be a given at Tennessee. It used to be rare not to win 30!

VN Store

Back