10.6 ppg - 7.8 rbs - .5 blocks - 59 TO's on the season - on the list
15.5 ppg - 7.8 rbs - 2 blocks - 35 To's on the season - on the list

Reactions: 1 person
Pulled 3 forward/centers on the list to compare to MR

16.7 ppg - 8.9 rbs - 1.4 blocks - 55 TO's on the season - on the list
16.8 ppg - 8.7 rbs - 1.5 blocks - 35 To's on the season - Mercedes Russell
10.6 ppg - 7.8 rbs - .5 blocks - 59 TO's on the season - on the list
15.5 ppg - 7.8 rbs - 2 blocks - 35 To's on the season - on the list

I assume the bottom two are Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier, and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of the Tennessee fan base who thinks that Russell belongs on the list over either of them. If you include assists and steals, both of them are filling up the stat sheet even if their scoring has taken a hit because of all the offensive weapons on UConn and not having to play as many minutes.

Anigwe was the player I would have dropped in favor of Russell, but she came into the season higher on the totem pole and even though her numbers are down, they are close enough that she's a reasonable selection.

I firmly believe that if Tennessee hadn't had that bad stretch where they lost a bunch of games and moved into the middle of the SEC rankings, then Mercedes would have been on this list. Maybe Jaime too, even though her stats don't support it. As with previous years, they are being punished because Tennessee as a team has underachieved.

Reactions: 3 people
I assume the bottom two are Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier, and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone outside of the Tennessee fan base who thinks that Russell belongs on the list over either of them. If you include assists and steals, both of them are filling up the stat sheet even if their scoring has taken a hit because of all the offensive weapons on UConn and not having to play as many minutes.

Anigwe was the player I would have dropped in favor of Russell, but she came into the season higher on the totem pole and even though her numbers are down, they are close enough that she's a reasonable selection.

I firmly believe that if Tennessee hadn't had that bad stretch where they lost a bunch of games and moved into the middle of the SEC rankings, then Mercedes would have been on this list. Maybe Jaime too, even though her stats don't support it. As with previous years, they are being punished because Tennessee as a team has underachieved.

I agree but feel like it is unfair to the 2 of them because yes the team would look to have underachieved based on how they've begin but realistically they are ahead of schedule as no one expected us to be higher than 5th in the conference nor had any idea of how we would be.

I think we've overachieved in a sense and this is another if it comes down to UT vs UConn give Geno what he wants which is pathetic to me.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree but feel like it is unfair to the 2 of them because yes the team would look to have underachieved based on how they've begin but realistically they are ahead of schedule as no one expected us to be higher than 5th in the conference nor had any idea of how we would be.

I think we've overachieved in a sense and this is another if it comes down to UT vs UConn give Geno what he wants which is pathetic to me.

A team with the talent that Tennessee has is underachieving if they are in 5th place in the SEC, and I hope they don't look at their current state and say, "Yep, looks right to me". That was the media's way of showing they didn't have faith in Tennessee, and they haven't been proven wrong. Honestly, they should have been challenging for the SEC crown and even then be one of the top 2 teams in the league easily. The fact they are struggling to get a top 4 seeding for the SECT should be troubling.

As for the players, Jaime has had a poor year. She's an inefficient volume shooter who doesn't have Vivians advantage of being thr best player on an elite team, which likely got her on the postseason teams last year. MR has been surpassed by Gustafson, Brown, and McCowan. The only way she'd get a look is if Tennessee was a top team, which they arent. Collier and Williams were WBCA AAs last year, so it's no surprise that they are on the list, even if their scoring is down. They weren't going to be penalized...yet. I don't see Gabby making the final cut and Napheesa is a stretch, even though they're both top 5 players, because too many other players are putting up crazy stats. Unfortunately for MR and Jaime, neither of them have stood out in comparison.

Reactions: 2 people
[...] give Geno what he wants which is pathetic to me.

Having watched many interviews with him, I draw two conclusions:

1) His style is an acquired taste, and I haven't acquired it.
2) What he wants has nothing to do with polls, awards, or rankings; a national championship is the only goal.

Having watched many interviews with him, I draw two conclusions:

1) His style is an acquired taste, and I haven't acquired it.
2) What he wants has nothing to do with polls, awards, or rankings; a national championship is the only goal.

Would either of our seniors developed into All-Americans playing for Geno? Serious question. The more I watch them play their final season, the more depressing it is to realize how much Holly has failed them....

Would either of our seniors developed into All-Americans playing for Geno? Serious question. The more I watch them play their final season, the more depressing it is to realize how much Holly has failed them....

Holly? I thought Dean Lockwood was responsible for the development of the post players.

VN Store

Back