what happened to Westbrook?

Darth_Vol

Why is her injury being so underplayed when it's obvious she is significantly impaired? If this is going to be a long-term thing, the team could be in real trouble...

They don't usually release much about injuries. Nared had a foot injury and finally stopped limping... and now Westbrook is wearing a knee brace. If it's a sprain, I wonder if they'll rest her until UGA?

Why is everything about the coaching staff always spun as some kind of indictment or question of competency?

There are privacy rules that govern the release of health information so all teams are fairly circumspect in releasing details on injuries.

I trust that the medical staff would not clear Westbook if they felt there were long term risks of playing.

She could have anything from tendonitis in her knee to a mild ligament sprain to a contusion to something else.

She did look inhibited in the Vandy game and I am sure the staff is working on managing the injury as best they can.

Reactions: 13 people
Why is everything about the coaching staff always spun as some kind of indictment or question of competency?

There are privacy rules that govern the release of health information so all teams are fairly circumspect in releasing details on injuries.

I trust that the medical staff would not clear Westbook if they felt there were long term risks of playing.

She could have anything from tendonitis in her knee to a mild ligament sprain to a contusion to something else.

She did look inhibited in the Vandy game and I am sure the staff is working on managing the injury as best they can.

Wow, If everything is as you say, then why was she still in the game when the outcome was in hand? I love Holly, buy she doesn't have the mentality to get on the players! Once they know they can get away with anything they want to do, then there's no discipline action for what they do. The Military trains you, so you don't make the same mistake , over and over. Please Holly, have the guts, to train, discipline these players, as your mentor did. There's life after basketball, but learn to take constructive criticism and try to be the best you can be, in Basketball and in life!
My rant is over. GLVS!

Reactions: 2 people
Wow, If everything is as you say, then why was she still in the game when the outcome was in hand? I love Holly, buy she doesn't have the mentality to get on the players! Once they know they can get away with anything they want to do, then there's no discipline action for what they do. The Military trains you, so you don't make the same mistake , over and over. Please Holly, have the guts, to train, discipline these players, as your mentor did. There's life after basketball, but learn to take constructive criticism and try to be the best you can be, in Basketball and in life!
My rant is over. GLVS!

What you see is what you are going to get. I do not see Holly changing any time soon. if players want to stand around, not play the middle defense well, or make needless turnovers, the players do not seem concerned. Some fans are comfortable blaming the players, however, Holly has to own a major piece of the issues.

Reactions: 4 people

I doubt that is true since they seem to handle nothing. I drove a long way and was within ten feet of the bench on the sideline and I saw her do nothing. She seldom sorry, I mean never has a team prepared . Vandy coach stood on the side and gave the officials an ear full every time down court, and they got most of the questionable calls. There were obvious missed calls on our end and I did not see her say one word. A win was wonderful but it should have never been in doubt. We simply don't have ANY offensive plays with motion and screening. I love to win but she is worse than awful as a coach.,

I doubt that is true since they seem to handle nothing. I drove a long way and was within ten feet of the bench on the sideline and I saw her do nothing. She seldom sorry, I mean never has a team prepared . Vandy coach stood on the side and gave the officials an ear full every time down court, and they got most of the questionable calls. There were obvious missed calls on our end and I did not see her say one word. A win was wonderful but it should have never been in doubt. We simply don't have ANY offensive plays with motion and screening. I love to win but she is worse than awful as a coach.,
Sorry but they did show her on tv 1 time in the officials ear. you must have gone for popcorn.

Reactions: 10 people
My rant is over. GLVS!

I can't connect your response to my post. What does my conjecture that the medical staff has given Westbrook a clear to play and managing the injury, have to do with Holly disciplining or not disciplining players? BTW, perhaps you didn't notice in the midst of your fire Holly red fuming but the LVs actually won that game and took it to Vandy down the stretch. Just an FYI..

Reactions: 6 people

It is hard to understand what you are saying as it relates to Westbrook injuries. Holly's does not "handle" injury issues and neither CPS. The trainers and medical staff do that. But what do you doubt is true? That the medical staff cleared Westbook to play? Or are you just using my post as an excuse to launch another "Holly can't" rant which is disconnected both the from the topic of this thread and the outcome of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
What you see is what you are going to get. I do not see Holly changing any time soon. if players want to stand around, not play the middle defense well, or make needless turnovers, the players do not seem concerned. Some fans are comfortable blaming the players, however, Holly has to own a major piece of the issues.

Funny you should mention turnovers. I remember Holly's critics going ballistic about TOs after the ND game when we had 28, and rightly so. But since then, we've gone 5 straight games with no more than 14 TOs. Will she get any credit for the improvement?

Reactions: 12 people
Funny you should mention turnovers. I remember Holly's critics going ballistic about TOs after the ND game when we had 28, and rightly so. But since then, we've gone 5 straight games with no more than 14 TOs. Will she get any credit for the improvement?

I am betting "no". Remember anything positive is just the players do it despite Holly. Any not positive is completely and entirely due to her incompetence. And we have now reached the stage where wins are just as much an indictment of her coaching abilities as losses.

So, that is that.

Reactions: 11 people
In regards to the first post, anyone who does not know that coaches/schools can not make public a player's injury, does not follow college sports closely.

Reactions: 5 people
My rant is over. GLVS!

Did you even watch the game? The outcome wasn't "in hand" until late in the 4th quarter and then Holly immediately pulled Westbrook. And what does the rest of this rant have to do with Westbrook's injury? And why are you bringing up the military? Do you post here just to see your words on the internet? Because they have no relevance to the discussion underway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
My rant is over. GLVS!
What was the last war our military won?

Reactions: 1 person
You Hollyphiles get so defensive interpreting everything as an attack, where did I mention her name?

And shout out to the board Cpt. Obvious patrol for the HIPAA reminder.

Regardless, Westbrook's injury is still a story. I would argue next to Nared's career high, it's the biggest story of the Vandy game. Maybe even bigger since there are ramifications going forward. Westbrook shows up to the game in a huge brace, NO ONE is talking about it. I was at the game so I didn't see the tv broadcast, but I'm assuming they didn't say anything or it would have been posted. Nothing I saw in the post-game coverage mentioned it. Either it was a failure by the media not to ask, or a failure to report the team declined to comment.

If Grant Williams or Admiral Schofield suddenly showed up for a game in a huge brace, and labored through as a shell of their former selves, you really think no one would be talking about it? Regardless of whether they chose to disclose the nature of the injury? All due respect to the rest of the Lady Vol backcourt, but Westbrook is the most talented guard on the roster by a mile. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one here... but just looking at the brace, the completely ineffective play, and the limping, it sure didn't appear to be a minor thing.....

Reactions: 2 people
I can't connect your response to my post. What does my conjecture that the medical staff has given Westbrook a clear to play and managing the injury, have to do with Holly disciplining or not disciplining players? BTW, perhaps you didn't notice in the midst of your fire Holly red fuming but the LVs actually won that game and took it to Vandy down the stretch. Just an FYI..

First of all, I didn't say anything about firing Holly! I did mention discipline or better yet, a lack of! Madtown, Frozen, gule, are you guys relatives of Holly? If not, why do you defend everything she does, knowing darn well, that there are things she could improve upon! Some of you want to thrash anyone who points out some of her many flaws. I thing we all love Holly, the person, but we're not hesitant to point out things we would like to see the team improve upon. GLVs!

First of all, I didn't say anything about firing Holly! I did mention discipline or better yet, a lack of! Madtown, Frozen, gule, are you guys relatives of Holly? If not, why do you defend everything she does, knowing darn well, that there are things she could improve upon! Some of you want to thrash anyone who points out some of her many flaws. I thing we all love Holly, the person, but we're not hesitant to point out things we would like to see the team improve upon. GLVs!

If you reread what I wrote, you'll see that I was correcting your assertion that Westbrook was still playing while the game was "in hand," and pointing out that your rant had nothing to do with Westbrook's injury, which is the subject of this thread. I am not a relative of Holly's, and that is also an incorrect assertion that has nothing to do with the topic of Westbrook's injury. Your hijacking every thread to rant about Holly is a disservice to the people on this board who are trying to discuss other issues.

If you reread what I wrote, you'll see that I was correcting your assertion that Westbrook was still playing while the game was "in hand," and pointing out that your rant had nothing to do with Westbrook's injury, which is the subject of this thread. I am not a relative of Holly's, and that is also an incorrect assertion that has nothing to do with the topic of Westbrook's injury. Your hijacking every thread to rant about Holly is a disservice to the people on this board who are trying to discuss other issues.
Sorry, I didn't word my reply correctly. What I was trying to say was, why was she playing that late in the game? Why take a chance on her injurying herself even more? She's a good player, but someone on the bench could have played as well as she was playing injured. That's just my opinion, if you guys will allow me to give it? Hijacking a Thread? If only some of you had a mirror to look at. You would probably see the guilty one. GLVs!

You Hollyphiles get so defensive interpreting everything as an attack, where did I mention her name?

And shout out to the board Cpt. Obvious patrol for the HIPAA reminder.

Regardless, Westbrook's injury is still a story. I would argue next to Nared's career high, it's the biggest story of the Vandy game. Maybe even bigger since there are ramifications going forward. Westbrook shows up to the game in a huge brace, NO ONE is talking about it. I was at the game so I didn't see the tv broadcast, but I'm assuming they didn't say anything or it would have been posted. Nothing I saw in the post-game coverage mentioned it. Either it was a failure by the media not to ask, or a failure to report the team declined to comment.

If Grant Williams or Admiral Schofield suddenly showed up for a game in a huge brace, and labored through as a shell of their former selves, you really think no one would be talking about it? Regardless of whether they chose to disclose the nature of the injury? All due respect to the rest of the Lady Vol backcourt, but Westbrook is the most talented guard on the roster by a mile. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one here... but just looking at the brace, the completely ineffective play, and the limping, it sure didn't appear to be a minor thing.....

Actually, I don't think that was a knee brace. On closer inspection, it seems to be training tape around her quad and that extends down to her calf, per this image
636533595111127001-NAS-Vandy-Lady-Vols-499.jpg
:

I have seen that kind of taping pattern used to relieve discomfort from patellar tendonitis but it could also be some kind of odd muscle strain. Again, I am guessing that it is a manageable injury, like the shin splints DD had two seasons ago, that an athlete can "play through" but it still poses some limitations. The obvious inference is that the LV training staff doesn't believe playing will make the injury worse and that the coaches feel an inhibited EW is better than no EW at all.

But you keep inferring that this injury may be more serious-- as in "it sure did not appear to be a minor thing." By raising that point, it sure seems to suggest someone in charge is putting EW in potential jeopardy and hiding the severity of the condition.

You have not mentioned any names that is for sure, but hmmm, who would be the authority figure responsible for making such a reckless decision? Think, think, think. How to solve this mystery, since no names were mentioned. Oh, if only "Captain Logical Inference" were here....

In the real world, if EW has an injury that gets more aggravated, you will hear about it and she likely won't play. Over the course of a season, however, players play through all kinds of knocks, bangs, and pulls that don't get reported. That common place state of affairs is not a conspiracy,

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
So, you keep inferring that this injury may be more serious "it sure did not appear to be a minor thing." By raising that point, it sure seems to suggest someone in charge would be putting EW in some kind of jeopardy and hiding the severity of the condition.

No, you are so right that no names mentioned but hmmm, who would be in charge of making such a reckless decision? How to solve this mystery, since no names were mentioned. Oh, if only "Captain Logical Inference" were here....

Again, I never said nor implied Holly was at fault, nor that the UT medical staff was endangering her. I really don't know how much clearer I can make that to you.

In the real world, if EW has an injury that gets more aggravated, you will hear about it and she likely won't play. Over the course of a season, however, players play through all kinds of knocks, bangs, and pulls that don't get reported. That state of affairs is not a conspiracy,

And yet again, watching her play it sure didn't appear to be your typical bump or bruise from the grind of the season. I'm not sure if they showed how badly she was limping after the game on tv. If you don't consider it to be a big issue that's fine. Apparently you're not alone. Time will tell, but if THAT'S the EW we can expect from here on out this team is in serious trouble...

VN Store

Back