as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
FEB 1 (THU) 6:30 P.M.

game is in KNOXVILLE Tn

TV: SEC NETWORK

you can stream it here

WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights

you can listen here

UTSports.tv | Powered by SIDEARM Showcase

the Lady Vols are ranked 12th in the AP Top 25 poll and 13th in the USA Today Coaches Poll

Texas A&M is ranked 14th in the AP Top 25 poll and 12th in the USA Today Coaches Poll

make them easy shots and hang onto the DAMN ball Lady Vols :)

as all ways Go Lady Vols :clapping:

Reactions: 3 people
FEB 1 (THU) 6:30 P.M.

game is in KNOXVILLE Tn

TV: SEC NETWORK

you can stream it here

WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights

you can listen here

UTSports.tv | Powered by SIDEARM Showcase

the Lady Vols are ranked 12th in the AP Top 25 poll and 13th in the USA Today Coaches Poll

Texas A&M is ranked 14th in the AP Top 25 poll and 12th in the USA Today Coaches Poll

make them easy shots and hang onto the DAMN ball Lady Vols :)

as all ways Go Lady Vols :clapping:

On paper we should beat A&M, however, can Holly match wits with A&M’s coach? Can Holly motivate this team to a win? Will we change our offensive scheme when A&M sags in on Russell? If we play as we have lately, the resounding answer is no to all three questions. We have to get our aggression back and Russell and company has to control the boards or we are screwed.

Hillman is capable of getting into foul trouble, however, for that to happen we have to drive the ball and Russell has to be agressive. We also need an answer for Carter or she will make us look like a middle school basketball team. I pray that Holly has worked on our paint defense. If not Carter and others will have a field day. By the way A&M only plays 7 players, so this excuse of we lost because we are tired and have a short bench is what it is, an excuse.

Go Lady Vols Protect Your House!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
All our players should be practicing 3-pointers nonstop. That’s the key to winning moving forward as opposing teams are daring our players to shoot.

Practice ladies and bring home the W!

Ironically, I think if they can work on defense and rebounding they can win the rest of their regular season. More specifically zone defense and rebounding out of the zone. We know this team has a very tough time with the man to man but it's easier to rebound out of a man to man.

Rebounding out of a zone takes practice and knowledge of the fundamentals of it. It's just plain harder because you have to find a man to box out because in a zone you are guarding an area and not a specific player. You can't just run to the rim as they have been doing. Once they get that fixed they are golden. Because if you can rebound out of a zone you can still run. If you can't, you give up offensive rebounds.

Reactions: 2 people
After watching Holly the last game she said they can't win by missing free throws. They went 11/16 missed 5 shots they lost the game by 11. If they had block out they would have won the game. Tennessee got 32 rebounds to LSU 44 this is where they lost the game. The only way they will beat Texas A&M is if the block out. I was so hurt about the lost to LSU. Still love the Lady Vols.

Hope we win but were playing so terrible right now have no idea how this will go.

I think we are past the point in the season where this team will improve on defense. If coaching has seen nothing wrong it all year. Why would they change now.

Last edited:
It is up to players to recognize it takes two players working together to stop the ball from getting to the basket on hard dribble drives. The ball can't be stopped every time
but with practice it can be done often and done without useless fouling. If the ball doesn't make it thru the goal isn't made. Difficult but effective with concentration.

Play like they did against LSU and this game will go in the loss column.There is one certainty and coaching will be a plus factor for A&M.

I think we are past the point in the season where this team will improve on defense. If coaching as seen nothing wrong it all year. Why would they change now.

I disagree. I'd like to echo the poster (maybe Nuyoika?) who said that the zone actually looked pretty good against LSU, they just aren't used to rebounding out of it. If they can fix that, I think our defense/rebounding will be in MUCH better shape.

I disagree. I'd like to echo the poster (maybe Nuyoika?) who said that the zone actually looked pretty good against LSU, they just aren't used to rebounding out of it. If they can fix that, I think our defense/rebounding will be in MUCH better shape.

The zone looked good in the 1st quarter .After the 7 minute mark of 2nd quarter it was like water running thru a sieve.

on paper we should beat a&m, however, can holly match wits with a&m’s coach? Can holly motivate this team to a win? Will we change our offensive scheme when a&m sags in on russell? If we play as we have lately, the resounding answer is no to all three questions. We have to get our aggression back and russell and company has to control the boards or we are screwed.

Hillman is capable of getting into foul trouble, however, for that to happen we have to drive the ball and russell has to be agressive. We also need an answer for carter or she will make us look like a middle school basketball team. I pray that holly has worked on our paint defense. If not carter and others will have a field day. By the way a&m only plays 7 players, so this excuse of we lost because we are tired and have a short bench is what it is, an excuse.

Go lady vols protect your house!!!!

+++++ 10000000000000000000000000.........!!!!!!!

Need this win to hold a 4 seed, IMO. Tougher teams and road games ahead so the LVs have to right the ship. They had aTm beat OTR, so it should be a winnable game at home. Westbrook has a chance to step up-- hope she makes the most of it.

Yes, this feels like a must-win game to me. The last couple of times Tennessee has played A&M have been a cocktail made of equal parts heartbreak and humiliation.

Time for a little Orange Crush!

GO LADY VOLS!

Holly hasn't been able to make adjustments when the other coach decides to take Russell out of the offensive action by triple teaming the post. Not all her fault plenty of poor shooting from Nared, Westbrook, and Jackson. When they do that those three need to become the offense while still looking for openings to get her the ball.
The offensive rebounding in inexcusable and this isn't the first year this has happened to a Holly team. If her Assistants don't know how to teach boxing out or were having an effort problem up to the coach to resolve that. A&M huge on making points off offensive rebounds time to see if were going to again give up 20 second chance points or play like we should and hold to one shot.

It's frustrating to hear their response after a loss, because they know what's going wrong and what they should be doing. Then it happens again... and again. Former players were saying the same things after the last game-- defense... rebound... get physical.

What's even worse is Holly and the players saying LSU (and Miss St and ND) outworked them and wanted it more. Do the LVs not want it enough? That's almost impossible to believe at a program like Tennessee-- but motivation and effort were questioned year, too. Getting that right starts at the top and goes all the way down.

Question about Annies man defense. Annie is quick, so why is it so hard for her to keep the player in front of her in the man defense. I know with Middleton the response is she was not quick enough.

Concerning Russell, if they collapse on her on offense, instruct the other players to take the best shot they can and demand that Russell make an effort to rebound. If she shows no interest in banging down low, put in London or KK.

Last edited:
she's a freshman, new to this level of competition. She'll get better on Defense. Don't fret!

Question about Annies man defense. Annie is quick, so why is it so hard for her to keep the player in front of her in the man defense. I know with Middleton the response is she was not quick enough.

Concerning Russell, if they collapse on her on offense, instruct the other players to take the best shot they can and demand that Russell make an effort to rebound. If she shows no interest in banging down low, put in London or KK.

TAMU is a tough matchup because they have a center who is big enough, tall enough, and strong enough to guard Russell 1-on-1. I thought they'd be a tough matchup for Tennessee. With the 2 bigs cancelling each other out, it will come down to the guard matchup. I still think Danni Williams is the key. Shut her down, and Tennessee wins.

she's a freshman, new to this level of competition. She'll get better on Defense. Don't fret!

Does Holly believe in trapping on double teaming on the one-on-on defense? We just can't let the opponents dribble all the way to the cup. To discourage the opponents from driving, do give Anastasia Hayes, Jaime Nared, or Mercedes Russell the needed help.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back