What's Changed? Two Observations

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
#1 We are not playing as mean and tough as we were earlier in the year. That meanness was refreshing and it's gone.

#2 It appears that we are forcing it into Russell rather than letting the offensive system naturally produce good looks. It's just drive and cram, drive and cram. The movement and flow is gone. Seems like the offense is now stand and pass around the permieter trying to cram it into Russell. Then at the end of the shot clock try an ill-fated 1 on 2 drive to the basket. I get that Russell is shooting like 75% but when we lose a third of the entry passes to her by forcing things then you have to factor that into the efficiency. If you want to reduce turnovers you have to take the shots that the defense gives you.

On a side note, what the heck is wrong with Jamie Nared's shot? She can't be much above 30% in SEC play.

Reactions: 7 people
not bad observations...hope they can get their heads right...think that's where the problem lies...hopefully the coaching staff will work it out in practice to bring that spirit back...that's why they get the big bucks...if not, it could get a lot worse...and,

PS. to me it seems Jaime tries to put to much on herself and she gets out of control...just needs to play more within herself and the team...

GO LADY VOLS!

Northing has changed! The truth is Holly is not a SEC level coach, period. She has admitted as much in the past. Last year Holly said several times she did not know why the team was playing poorly. She is the COACH, she is paid good money to know what the problems are and how to get the players to play at a high level.

To be honest, she came in after Pat and was put in an almost unwinnable situation; however, her teams are not playing to the talent level of the players, plain and simple. This has been going on for YEARS NOW! Holly has had her chance and now it is time to make a change. Tennessee will never sniff a championship with Holly in charge. How much more proof do the Holly pumpers need?!

Sad!

Reactions: 13 people
:):):)Your #2 observations are right on target...we have gone to a "standing offense" with no movement of players. Why wait until time is running out? We need to go back to a team play instead of completely on Russell.
Why does CHW not play Courtney...she comes in makes a 3-pointer or two and then is benched after 3 to 4 minutes of play. Why? I would like to see CHW fired and replaced with Tomika Katchings or Kara Lawson.

#1 We are not playing as mean and tough as we were earlier in the year. That meanness was refreshing and it's gone.

#2 It appears that we are forcing it into Russell rather than letting the offensive system naturally produce good looks. It's just drive and cram, drive and cram. The movement and flow is gone. Seems like the offense is now stand and pass around the permieter trying to cram it into Russell. Then at the end of the shot clock try an ill-fated 1 on 2 drive to the basket. I get that Russell is shooting like 75% but when we lose a third of the entry passes to her by forcing things then you have to factor that into the efficiency. If you want to reduce turnovers you have to take the shots that the defense gives you.

On a side note, what the heck is wrong with Jamie Nared's shot? She can't be much above 30% in SEC play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Northing has changed! The truth is Holly is not a SEC level coach, period. She has admitted as much in the past. Last year Holly said several times she did not know why the team was playing poorly. She is the COACH, she is paid good money to know what the problems are and how to get the players to play at a high level.

To be honest, she came in after Pat and was put in an almost unwinnable situation; however, her teams are not playing to the talent level of the players, plain and simple. This has been going on for YEARS NOW! Holly has had her chance and now it is time to make a change. Tennessee will never sniff a championship with Holly in charge. How much more proof do the Holly pumpers need?!

Sad!
No more proof is necessary, as we have seen from day one. There comes a time when we have to quit blaming the girls, as they have to be coached. Ever coach in the NCAA is better and has their time better prepared come conference play. Andy Landers (not one of my favorites) did say on ESPN that we have to admit that we have a problem. We have to stop letting the opposing team drive to the basket at will, and that is on the coaching staff. You heard Miss State coach tell his girls in the shoot around "DRIVE IT TO THE BASKET", AND THEY DID JUST THAT. If no one on the staff can figure that out then they all need to be replaced. Folks forget about your feelings for Warlick, and think about your feelings for the Lady Volunteers, they deserve better. There are few teams that have more talent than we do. What really is upsetting is for her to be on national TV and state that she has no answer, that is absurd and for that alone she needs to be dismissed. If you support her, then you are telling everyone that you are settling for a average season. We have as much talent as anyone in the country, so folks need to stop blaming the girls.

Reactions: 5 people
To hear your coach say she has no idea is freaking scary. Recruits watching games will be like I can't learn anything there. Time to move on. Opposing coaches are like heck yeah I'm gonna look like coach of the year tonight. She is basically a coach that depends on talent to bail her out.

Reactions: 5 people
To hear your coach say she has no idea is freaking scary. Recruits watching games will be like I can't learn anything there. Time to move on. Opposing coaches are like heck yeah I'm gonna look like coach of the year tonight. She is basically a coach that depends on talent to bail her out.

She’s been saying that for years and it hasn’t hurt recruiting. I think you’re wishing it would so she can be canned.

Reactions: 4 people
#2 It appears that we are forcing it into Russell rather than letting the offensive system naturally produce good looks. It's just drive and cram, drive and cram. The movement and flow is gone. Seems like the offense is now stand and pass around the permieter trying to cram it into Russell. . . .

If you watch any good team in the SEC (or anywhere else for that matter) there is usually one thing they have in common - the offense is alway moving. The ball is moving and players are constantly trying to gain position advantage over the defense.
We run a pretty stagnant offence - and it shows!

I see a couple of the top players suddenly not shooting the ball very well and that is mainly because they suddenly believe they are go to players and are putting up any kind of shot regardless of how they are being guarded or who is open. Some I would call heaves at the basket not really shots.
The freshmen are in thinking mode and probably the coaches are putting them there. They aren't playing free and loose as they were at the beginning seems coaching has hurt their games especially Annie and Rennia.
We've definitely lost some aggression on defense and offense. We were making things happen one was feeding the other now were back to our defense being a layup drill for the opposing team.
I hope we can get it back we get some good looks at the basket but more times than not we pass from that good position and it is usually a turnover.

Reactions: 3 people
I also think we did not play terrible defense not great but we did hold them 13 points under their season average. They held us 31 points under ours so they played a lot better defense than we did.
Offensive rebounds were key for them as we got something like 10 first stops which they then scored on a second chance with an offensive rebound.
Right now the two main problems are offensive rebounds and turnovers. We win A&M if we don't give up 14 second chance points. We win Notre Dame game if they don't get 18 additional shots due to 28 turnovers. How can a team get 18 more shots than you do in a game when the free throws are virtually equal. The answer is 28 turnovers.
Miss St 14 more shots even though we only had 13 turnovers. They kept getting the rebound off the first miss and scoring.
I wish Holly knew how to address the offensive rebounding problem and the turnovers. We need as many shot attempts as the opponent in games and it is not happening.

Sad!

Great post!:clapping:

Holly Warlick remains the coach of The Lady Vols despite her continued failures. She's a stubborn woman with people that are probably enabling her to stick with it. That's what us non Holly fans are up against. That and Holly's connection with the late legendary coach Pat Summit.

I sincerely think that Holly would have to lose a lot more games and not make it to a Final Four in order for her to get canned. But it'll probably take till 2028 for that to happen. :crazy:

GOLadyVols!:unsure:

Last edited:
I also think we did not play terrible defense not great but we did hold them 13 points under their season average. They held us 31 points under ours so they played a lot better defense than we did.
Offensive rebounds were key for them as we got something like 10 first stops which they then scored on a second chance with an offensive rebound.
Right now the two main problems are offensive rebounds and turnovers. We win A&M if we don't give up 14 second chance points. We win Notre Dame game if they don't get 18 additional shots due to 28 turnovers. How can a team get 18 more shots than you do in a game when the free throws are virtually equal. The answer is 28 turnovers.
Miss St 14 more shots even though we only had 13 turnovers. They kept getting the rebound off the first miss and scoring.
I wish Holly knew how to address the offensive rebounding problem and the turnovers. We need as many shot attempts as the opponent in games and it is not happening.

Roflmao @ "I wish Holly knew how to address the offensive rebounding problem and turnovers." :eek:lol:

Wish away. Go for it!

Lets see what happens.:)

Their confidence has been shaken. Winning was fun; losing isn't. Their body language has changed-- no swag and not enough toughness. The coaches said they sulked all day Friday after the ND loss and had a bad practice. They didn't bounce back like they did after the aTm loss. You could see a lot of slumped shoulders and hangdog looks on Sunday. They didn't look like a team that was ready to fight and determined to win.

Hopefully, they can take it to Ole Miss and get their confidence back. They're going to need it to beat LSU OTR.

Reactions: 2 people
I know Holly can fix this. Maybe Gordon becomes the enforcer. Watch the end of a UConn game and you will be seeing #8-#10 looking to put a body on the opposition when a shot goes up. These kids know that when a three point shot goes up, not only the paint becomes boxing out territory, but also the area outside the paint. (Long rebounds.) Holly can do this. Fundamentals. A good place to start.

What changed is a few things:
The level of competition for one.
No more Alabama St like in the OOC schedule.
The freshmen haven't played this type of schedule against this level of competition before. Did I hear someone say they "hit the wall" ?
Expectations. I'll say it again. Expecting a team with 3 freshman playing significant time to play like a NC contender is not realistic.
I'll leave the coaching question to your own opinion.

Reactions: 4 people
apparently someone thinks the Lady Vols are still a pretty good team...#10 is still not to shabby...:)

GO VOLS!

What changed is a few things:
The level of competition for one.
No more Alabama St like in the OOC schedule.
The freshmen haven't played this type of schedule against this level of competition before. Did I hear someone say they "hit the wall" ?
Expectations. I'll say it again. Expecting a team with 3 freshman playing significant time to play like a NC contender is not realistic.
I'll leave the coaching question to your own opinion.

I think we end up 24 and 5 in the regular season and 12 and 4 in the league and I think that is a great season with two freshman starting and your first sub is a freshman.

MY response was to a specific opportunity discussed about rebounding and boxing out. This can be taught the TN way by any of the assistants and monitored by CHW. Players need to be held accountable for this fundamental task.

#3 They played four really good basketball teams back to back to back to back.

#4 They are super young and need these tough experiences to ultimately grow.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back