Where is our defense and rebounding?

leejoek

We'll like to embrace the concept that that defense and rebounding win championship.

We need to stop letting the opponent dribble drive all the way to the cup. Some trapping and double teaming would be helpful.

Also we can't win big games if the opponents secure tons of offensive rebounds. At all time, while guarding a person without the ball, we need to pay more attention to the person with the ball. Do block out for the rebounds at the slightest hint of a ball in the air!

Last edited:
MSST is tricky though. If they collapse on the driving guard, they'll lob it to McCowan for an uncontested layup.

The fact they are up 18 with McCowan relagated to rebounding and post defense is pretty impressive. They are better than I thought they were. Their guards have been outstanding.

Reactions: 2 people
MSST is tricky though. If they collapse on the driving guard, they'll lob it to McCowan for an uncontested layup.

The fact they are up 18 with McCowan relagated to rebounding and post defense is pretty impressive. They are better than I thought they were. Their guards have been outstanding.

They, as a team, is better than we are!

Apparently so. I didn't think so going into the game, but MSST is a way better team. They won by almsot 20 without playing particularly well.

I still think in March it is a closer game. I saw these freshman grow a little more today... they cut down turnovers and made some small but key plays to not make the ill advised pass. When the game was out of reach I wanted to see them not hang their heads and do the right thing for the most part they did. I don’t care who hits the shot where I would tell RUSSELL to stay home. MSU didn’t get any of those lob passes to MCCowan that they had against every other team. So TN did somethings well AND a lot of things not so well.

Reactions: 1 person
I still think in March it is a closer game. I saw these freshman grow a little more today... they cut down turnovers and made some small but key plays to not make the ill advised pass. When the game was out of reach I wanted to see them not hang their heads and do the right thing for the most part they did. I don’t care who hits the shot where I would tell RUSSELL to stay home. MSU didn’t get any of those lob passes to MCCowan that they had against every other team. So TN did somethings well AND a lot of things not so well.

The freshman did improve today. But I don't know where Nared's head is.

Tennessee has the height to take that lob pass away. Davis, Nared and Russell did a great job taking that play away. The difference is MSST went to Plan B, C or D instead of forcing a well defended play.

Tennessee could do the same w/ Russell if they understood movement and spacing on offense.

Tennessee could do the same w/ Russell if they understood movement and spacing on offense.

Sorry to say, but Tennessee's guards don't play smart enough to do that. They also don't have a coach that can teach it to them.

Inside out!!!!!!

Sorry to say, but Tennessee's guards don't play smart enough to do that. They also don't have a coach that can teach it to them.

Inside out!!!!!!

They just seem to really hate the half court stuff. Unfortunately that is where Russell is best. Who would you say is the unquestioned leader of the squad on the floor?

They just seem to really hate the half court stuff. Unfortunately that is where Russell is best. Who would you say is the unquestioned leader of the squad on the floor?

Probably Evina, which yes...is a damning assessment of Nared and Russell.

:rock::rock::rock:You are absolutely correct in the statement..."opponents dribble drive all the way to the cup"...that is because we play "man to man"
defense and the opponents drive all the way to the basketball and leaves them open.
Ever note the opponent goes right by a LV and our LV continues to guard her person and watches the opponent go by and score.

We'll like to embrace the concept that that defense and rebounding win championship.

We need to stop letting the opponent dribble drive all the way to the cup. Some trapping and double teaming would be helpful.

Also we can't win big games if the opponents secure tons of offensive rebounds. At all time, while guarding a person without the ball, we need to pay more attention to the person with the ball. Do block out for the rebounds at the slightest hint of a ball in the air!

Not sure the team has a true leader on the floor-- and that's taking a toll. EW will probably grow into the role, but right now, she's tentative. Nared is in the biggest slump of her career and her confidence has taken a hit. She tries to put the team on her back and can't. As her frustration grows, her judgment falters. Russell's focus wavers. The FR look for leadership and it's not there. The best LV teams have had strong, vocal leadership-- but not this year.

Not sure the team has a true leader on the floor-- and that's taking a toll. EW will probably grow into the role, but right now, she's tentative. Nared is in the biggest slump of her career and her confidence has taken a hit. She tries to put the team on her back and can't. As her frustration grows, her judgment falters. Russell's focus wavers. The FR look for leadership and it's not there. The best LV teams have had strong, vocal leadership-- but not this year.

They haven't had strong vocal leadership since Cierra Burdick and Isabelle Harrison graduated.

How many charges have we taken this year? Why can't we get in front of someone? Can someone answer this?

DD and Te'a and what might have been. IDK how the chemistry would have shaken out, but we'd have been starting SRs and JRs, instead of relying on FR to step up before they're ready.

It will be interesting to see how Te'a plays for SC. My guess is that she'll be a serviceable addition to their team and not nearly the homewrecker people here make her out to be.

It will be interesting to see how Te'a plays for SC. My guess is that she'll be a serviceable addition to their team and not nearly the homewrecker people here make her out to be.

I think she'll help them out. She'll probably be cleared to play in the next few weeks, so I expect to see her and A'ja Wilson fired up and ready for revenge in TBA. Hope we have our mojo back by then.

Offensively Russell has a good game, however, against aggressive strong post she has issues. If you noticed Russell today she did a lot of watching while her teammates fought for the rebound. Several times McCowan was in the paint and Russell was somewhere but it was not in the paint. Lately the paint is almost a welcome area for the other team.

This is happening way too much. This is a coaching issue which needs to be corrected. I still believe youth is an issue and the fact that our seniors are not vocal leaders. I agree with a earlier poster, Westbrook shows more leadership skills than Nared or Russell. Nared started off like she was going to be the vocal leader but recently she has cooled on that issue. That could have been the result of her slump.

Last edited:
Offensively Russell has a good game, however, against aggressive strong post she has issues. If you noticed Russell today she did a lot of watching while her teammates fought for the rebound. Several times McCowan was in the paint and Russell was somewhere but it was not in the paint. Lately the paint is almost a welcome area for the other team.

This is happening way too much. This is a coaching issue which needs to be corrected. I still believe youth is an issue and the fact that our seniors are not vocal leaders.

There were a couple of times where she elected to stay off the court under the baseline while McCowan grabbed 2-3 offensive rebounds and scores. Inexcusable.

She better be "serviceable" for USC-e because she will not get another chance to play for a college basketball team.

VN Store

Back