CHW Presser

Decker Moss

Now I realize she said “I don’t know “ about ten times, but I am glad to see she was mad. She didn’t make excuses for them and I especially liked that she called out Jamie and Mercedes for their lack of leadership.

Reactions: 3 people
:thud::thud::thud:Folks it is time to admit that CHW needs to be replaced. When she made the "stupid" statement "over and over" that she did not know what to do, its time to replace her with someone that does. There was a time the LV lead the college ranks in attendance for basketball women...no more and it will get worse. I do not blame the LV players either. It's not "leadership", its "coachmanship". It's time to paint the "Rock", "Fire Warlick now". Turnovers has been the problem, 28 last night with several games of approximately 20, yet CHW has done nothing. Turnovers produced 22 points for Notre Dame last night.

Now I realize she said “I don’t know “ about ten times, but I am glad to see she was mad. She didn’t make excuses for them and I especially liked that she called out Jamie and Mercedes for their lack of leadership.

Last edited:

Time to call out the main leadership issue with the Lady Vols. Holly won't win championships. Is that what fans want? If not, then carry on with CHW.

Cry for the great and talented young women on the Lady Vol Team. They are ordered to force the ball inside even when impossible. At this point it appears lack of proper recruitment will make the situation worse next year. Lack of recruitment is causing most of the problem this year as shown by the constant turnovers of the ball having to
go inside to one tired center.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't get the constant angst. This team is filled with freshmen shouldering large responsibilities. The team is ranked in the top 10 and a legit elite 8 team at the very least. Teams prepare for a game and have their style of play. It worked great in Q1 and not so much the rest of the game.

Did Holly try subbing? Did she try different combos on the court? She can't call a timeout every offensive possession and call a play to be run. The team needs to know how to play based on practice, and execute it on the court.

I'm NOT saying Holly is a "great" coach. But her recruiting has been out of sight and with DD and T'ea gone, it seems the team chemistry is much improved. I don't disagree that ND made defensive adjustments - draping themselves around Russell to keep her off balance, and Tenn (Westbrook and Nared) didn't have the greatest shooting nights.

The disaster really occurred in the 4th quarter - we were outscored by 24. Maybe the team panicked as ND surged, but one big problem was our TO's. 28 of them. How does the coach control that?

Like most, it does piss me off when Holly goes into her "I just don't know mode". To put it in perspective, however, last night uconn played one of the lesser teams in their dreadful conference. After jumping out to a big lead in Q1, uconn won the remaining 3 quarters by only 3 points. Not sure what happened, but my point is even the #1 team in the nation can struggle, and they are led by upperclassmen (2 starters are seniors, 2 juniors, 1 sophomore, and their main bench player is a junior)

We start 2 seniors, 1 junior, 2 freshmen, and our 2 main reserves are a freshman and JUCO transfer. And we are STILL a top 10 team. We had a great win against USC (granted without Wilson but still). We will know more after our game this weekend with Miss State. I'm not ready to panic and like the trajectory of this team and our program. I think we win that game. I bet our kids learned a lot in this latest loss...

To the poster who said "Holly won't win championships"... um... how many head coaches win multiple NCAA's? Pat, Geno, Tara, Kim, USC and La Tech back in the day. Other than that, it's been single NC's for Purdue, Texas Tech, Tex AM, Maryland, USC, ODU, Texas - am I missing anyone? Come on guys - we are on the right trajectory. Is there any guarantee a "new head coach" could recruit as well as Holly has been? Our last 2 classes have been stellar... Let's give it some time... Pat was one in a million. NO ONE can replace her...

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
yep, I'm a Holly supporter, but...short and sweet...this game is on Holly and staff...when you lead by 23 and blow it...it just is...that is all...:salute:

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
I don't get the constant angst. This team is filled with freshmen shouldering large responsibilities. The team is ranked in the top 10 and a legit elite 8 team at the very least. Teams prepare for a game and have their style of play. It worked great in Q1 and not so much the rest of the game.

Did Holly try subbing? Did she try different combos on the court? She can't call a timeout every offensive possession and call a play to be run. The team needs to know how to play based on practice, and execute it on the court.

I'm NOT saying Holly is a "great" coach. But her recruiting has been out of sight and with DD and T'ea gone, it seems the team chemistry is much improved. I don't disagree that ND made defensive adjustments - draping themselves around Russell to keep her off balance, and Tenn (Westbrook and Nared) didn't have the greatest shooting nights.

The disaster really occurred in the 4th quarter - we were outscored by 24. Maybe the team panicked as ND surged, but one big problem was our TO's. 28 of them. How does the coach control that?

Like most, it does piss me off when Holly goes into her "I just don't know mode". To put it in perspective, however, last night uconn played one of the lesser teams in their dreadful conference. After jumping out to a big lead in Q1, uconn won the remaining 3 quarters by only 3 points. Not sure what happened, but my point is even the #1 team in the nation can struggle, and they are led by upperclassmen (2 starters are seniors, 2 juniors, 1 sophomore, and their main bench player is a junior)

We start 2 seniors, 1 junior, 2 freshmen, and our 2 main reserves are a freshman and JUCO transfer. And we are STILL a top 10 team. We had a great win against USC (granted without Wilson but still). We will know more after our game this weekend with Miss State. I'm not ready to panic and like the trajectory of this team and our program. I think we win that game. I bet our kids learned a lot in this latest loss...

To the poster who said "Holly won't win championships"... um... how many head coaches win multiple NCAA's? Pat, Geno, Tara, Kim, USC and La Tech back in the day. Other than that, it's been single NC's for Purdue, Texas Tech, Tex AM, Maryland, USC, ODU, Texas - am I missing anyone? Come on guys - we are on the right trajectory. Is there any guarantee a "new head coach" could recruit as well as Holly has been? Our last 2 classes have been stellar... Let's give it some time... Pat was one in a million. NO ONE can replace her...

The most logical post I’ve seen so far!

Reactions: 6 people

Agree with the other poster that this is a logical post , for the most part. My gripes are she watched ND time after time go in for almost uncontested layups. If you can't guard another team with a man D then go to a zone. Also, against A & M it is coaching malpractice to not put on a full court press for at least the 4th quarter. A & M was exhausted and we never pressed them even though they were going with 5 players.

Reactions: 4 people
Tennessee ran ND outa the arena in the first half. Second half Nd was allowed to slow the game down and double teamed Russell with two bigs. CHW's should have countered by playing Green down low along side Mercedes. To many turnovers and mistakes led to a collapse and yet another team makes history thanks to UT sports. :rolleyes:

Sorry to disagree, but we're not on the right trajectory.

CHW's perception of offense boils down to 3-4 concepts:

1. Push the ball.
2. Attack the basket & draw fouls.
3. Get the ball into the middle.
4. Rebound & put up garbage shots.

As Landers said before the SC game, it may not be great basketball but it'll be a good track meet.

That wins ball games against less-talented, slower teams, but it results in a lot of turnovers. Warlick constantly preaches to push the ball. Against good defenses and collapsing zones, the offense remains stagnant. And this is one of the best passing teams we've seen in a long time and one of the most unselfish.

TV commentators are being charitable because they like Warlick, as do most LV fans. But it's obvious that they see the glaring weakness that go uncorrected, along with the glaringly- poor in-game tendencies that seem endemic in Warlick's DNA. I'm sure that many of the off-camera conversations among former coaches and athletes amounts to :eek:hmy: and :censored: As in "What the Fred Rogers did we just see?"

It's not good when the word news media uses to describe your coach after the game is "befuddled."

She's not the first coach to have trouble either grasping offensive strategy or the need to instill a fundamental half-court offense that executes well rather than a free-flowing, one-on-one style that keeps showing up on the court. Jacking up shots without rebounders (when you have a big lead) isn't smart basketball. Forcing the ball to triple-teamed teammates isn't, either. And driving straight into stationary opponents and flinging up wild, off-balance shots is terrible offense.

People keep talking about the "Nega-Vols" who don't show up until losses. Hmmm. Those critics might consider that a lot of us have been fans for around 40 years and have supported the LV all that time. It was great to see the team being undefeated and rising in the rankings and great to see some fresh, enthusiastic faces. But the weaknesses were still there, and it was just a matter of time before they caught up.

If Warlick's teams looked prepared to handle the pressure and executed well, most of us wouldn't care how insipid she sounds in press releases. The players on both the men's and women's teams sound far more articulate and knowledgeable about the game than she does. But there is absolutely no excuse for a head coach getting paid big bucks to run one of the most storied programs in WCBB to continue saying "I don't know" when asked about things that go wrong and how to fix them. Neither is there any excuse for a coach to blame the seniors for "lack of leadership" when the coach isn't providing any leadership.

The players aren't there to lead the team. You, the head coach are. If you have vocal team leaders, great. If not...do your job. Call time outs. Bench players. Rip them a new one. Cajole. Encourage. Soothe bruised egos. Settle personal disputes between players. Dismiss problem players if necessary. Better yet, recruit players who are willing to follow the game plan.

And, above all else, take the blame when things go wrong. And then tell how you're going to correct the situation with a definite plan. That's the only way you're ever going to command the respect of your team and give them the confidence that you know what you're doing and that they should trust you.

Otherwise, please step aside and gracefully retire or go to a smaller program and get the experience you need. It takes a big woman to admit when the job is a bit more than expected, and an even bigger woman to step aside for the good of the program you love so much. No one will blame you, and many will admire you for that. If a coaching epiphany hasn't happened in five years (in addition to thirty-plus years at the highest level of WCBB), it's probably not to going to happen anytime soon.

Obviously Warlick is either a stellar recruiter of the LV program sells itself. Maybe that's her forte. But game management and preparation isn't, although to her credit, she's shown some improvement. Just not enough to get the program back to elite status.

The LV program now is where ND program was for years, except the LV have had far superior talent compared to the years when McGraw's teams were perennially ranked around #7-10.

If she can instill a halfway-decent half-court offense into this group, she deserves fan support. Otherwise, it's time for a change that is long-overdue.

Unless fans want to continue getting excited about top recruiting classes coming in only to be disappointed at the regression of athletes' performances from year to year.

Last edited:
It was a tough loss mainly because we couldn't throw or catch a pass. When they started bunching up the post we should have pulled Russell out of the post spread the court and drove the ball on them see if they could guard us one on one. We tried shooting perimeter shots and did a terrible job. The turnovers in the end were the main reason we lost. They got 18 shots more than we did because we were careless and made bad decisions with the ball. We were 7 of 15 from the free throw line this plus only getting up 51 shots was definitely a losing proposition.

Agree with the other poster that this is a logical post , for the most part. My gripes are she watched ND time after time go in for almost uncontested layups. If you can't guard another team with a man D then go to a zone. Also, against A & M it is coaching malpractice to not put on a full court press for at least the 4th quarter. A & M was exhausted and we never pressed them even though they were going with 5 players.

If you have watched games all year as I have, everyone drives for layups. We have not stopped them from game one. Anyone wondering how we stop them, well she has answered that question in every press conference. She is being honest when she says I DON'T know or I don't have an answer. While she is the coach this is as good as it is going to get. She can beat good teams with average coaches, she can't beat average teams with good coaches. I am not, nor have ever been from the first game of her career, a supporter of her as a coach, THE LADY VOL PROGRAM deserves better, and so do the fans.

Reactions: 2 people
Some fans who were enthusiastic supporters who would drive long distances to see the women play for years have gotten complacent (to prevent ulcers and preserve sanity).

They used to get mad over the deficiencies. Now they just have accepted that this is the new normal. Going to games isn't anything special, and even viewing the former "big games" is just "meh." Nothing to get too excited about whether winning or losing...just another day.

I'm sure everyone has gotten excited over some of the highly-talented recruits and their abilities. But when is the last time you've even heard anyone say, "I can't wait to see how Holly will take these players and mold them into a championship team?"

When the hope is that the players will excel despite the head coach rather than because of the head coach, that's a problem.

Mad? She looked and sounded clueless.
I was embarrassed for her.

I've never heard a coach say, "I don't know," when asked to identify the problems more than Holly. Well, hire someone that does.

Cry for the great and talented young women on the Lady Vol Team. They are ordered to force the ball inside even when impossible. At this point it appears lack of proper recruitment will make the situation worse next year. Lack of recruitment is causing most of the problem this year as shown by the constant turnovers of the ball having to
go inside to one tired center.
lack of proper recruitment Lack of recruitment? please explain.

Last edited:

I've never heard a coach say, "I don't know," when asked to identify the problems more than Holly. Well, hire someone that does.
In my opinion she says "I don't know" all the time because for one...she really doesn't know....which is alarming and inexcusable in its own right...but also she thinks it somehow makes her endearing to express her blunt honesty.

"I don't know" in reality is probably the worst thing she can say in these tragic games.

How many seasons do we have to waste with her on the bench? If she was given UCONN's roster she would have already lost at least 3 games...if not more.

She's gonna win alot of games simply on talent. Vol nation random posters could coach a team with this talent to a lot of wins without knowing anything except basic basketball fundamentals...and by calling a random timeout every once in a while.

Holly is a janitor who drives a beat up junker to work everyday...being given the keys to a Ferrari. She's gonna pass a few cars on the freeway simply by pressing the gas peddle...but will inevitably wreck the car into an underpass at some point. Haven't we seen enough? Really. When is enough enough?

Holly is a great recruiter.
She needs to surround herself with better assistant coaches. Pat as great as she was always has a great staff around her.

The good news is this Young team was good enough to be up 22 on ND. The concerning news is we could not hold the lead.

Holly is a great recruiter.
She needs to surround herself with better assistant coaches. Pat as great as she was always has a great staff around her.

The good news is this Young team was good enough to be up 22 on ND. The concerning news is we could not hold the lead.

We all understand it`s young team, But when you are not holding your players accountable for bad unforced turnovers there is a problem. As a Coach you can`t just jump up and down on the sideline when they commit a bad turnover . A good coach like Pat was and other coaches around the country would have address that player right there on the sideline face to face. I know they are freshmen but 139 thru 18 games is unacceptable. Westbrook 71 Hayes 68

That's what Holly said last season on numerous occasions in game pressers. Holly said 'I don't know' the season before last, too. When ask what went wrong, Holly will say 'I don't know'.

There's no fear in Holly about losing a job that was passed onto her by the legendary coach Pat Summitt.

The last 3 games I recorded because I wasn't at home. It turned out to be a godsend. I deleted two of the losses because no way I'm going watch Holly stand on the sidelines hands on hips looking up at the scoreboard while the Lady Vols are having a meltdown on the court. It's worked out for me. From now on I'm recording the games, if they lose I won't watch and just delete.

Holly has accomplished the unthinkable. I'm in fear of watching the Lady Vols lose. :crazy:

Holly please count your blessings then put in your resignation a.s.a.p..

Thanks sincerely,

A Lady Vol fan.

GOLadyvols!

Reactions: 4 people
Fulmer, plan for and line top coaches for replacing Holly. Pull the trigger when you have a truly awesome coach ready. We'll be waiting.

VN Store

Back