Russell's Double-Double Leads #6 UT To 86-70 Win Over #9 USC

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
"Both teams were ready from the tip, with four players on each roster getting on the board in the first quarter. After going through a scoring drought for more than three minutes, UT finished the quarter on a 14-4 run that was sparked by five consecutive free throws from Nared. The 6-foot-2 senior forward led the way offensively with seven points and Meme Jackson added a pair of 3-pointers as Tennessee took a 21-14 lead into the second period."

Russell's Double-Double Leads #6 UT To 86-70 Win Over #9 USC - University of Tennessee Athletics

nice game Lady Vols :good!:

Reactions: 10 people
Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russell will surely be missed next year. I still believe with them we can win it all. With all the talk about playing time between Anastasia Hayes, Evina Westbrook and Meme Jackson. wait till next year when we get two more top guards. Zarielle Green, and Jazmine Massengill

full up on guards...now, just need 7 footers...for Lady Vols and the other Vol basketball team...:)

GO LADY VOLS AND THE OTHER VOL BASKETBALL TEAM!

Reactions: 1 person
Russell needs to demand the ball more in every half. She had a great first half but was really passive in the last two quarters. Thanks to freshmen Westbrooks for stepping up and making the plays to win the game. Russell needs 15 shots per game the percentages say she will make 8 to 10 when she gets that many.

Reactions: 2 people
Russell needs to demand the ball more in every half. She had a great first half but was really passive in the last two quarters. Thanks to freshmen Westbrooks for stepping up and making the plays to win the game. Russell needs 15 shots per game the percentages say she will make 8 to 10 when she gets that many.

I agree that she needs to demand the ball more but I don't know if it is that she is too passive or that she is tired.

When she is winded she (and this is my opinion) has a tendency to play a little lazy. I would much rather her ask for a breather but Idk if that is an option especially with Harris and KK rarely seeing action.

I think if we can find time to play Green a little more with her Russell can then rest a little because she wouldn't have to always post on the block and try to bang down there. She can allow Green to "eat" on the block a little while she plays at the high post.

Totally agree with you.

I agree that she needs to demand the ball more but I don't know if it is that she is too passive or that she is tired.

When she is winded she (and this is my opinion) has a tendency to play a little lazy. I would much rather her ask for a breather but Idk if that is an option especially with Harris and KK rarely seeing action.

I think if we can find time to play Green a little more with her Russell can then rest a little because she wouldn't have to always post on the block and try to bang down there. She can allow Green to "eat" on the block a little while she plays at the high post.

Three minutes a quarter would be beneficial to her. No reason Green can't play three minutes in an effective way she has done so all season. I think our rotation could be better seems Holly makes no substitutions in the first quarter some players are less effective even after five minutes of play a two minute blow would probably do many of the player some good.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree that Russell should demand more, however, if our offense is running fast and aggresively with good guard play, Russell may be relegated to a supporting role, and I'm okay with that.
Side note, when I was at the game earlier in the month, I was amazed at Nared's size. There's no way she's 6'2". I'd say 6 feet at most with a fairly petite frame. But on the court she does seem quite tall.

I agree that Russell should demand more, however, if our offense is running fast and aggresively with good guard play, Russell may be relegated to a supporting role, and I'm okay with that.
Side note, when I was at the game earlier in the month, I was amazed at Nared's size. There's no way she's 6'2". I'd say 6 feet at most with a fairly petite frame. But on the court she does seem quite tall.

And I love how she is not afraid to bang inside and mix it up.

Three minutes a quarter would be beneficial to her. No reason Green can't play three minutes in an effective way she has done so all season. I think our rotation could be better seems Holly makes no substitutions in the first quarter some players are less effective even after five minutes of play a two minute blow would probably do many of the player some good.

I agree that Green can give an effective 12-15 mins a game for us for either Davis or Russell.
Many have said Mercedes seems to fall off in the second half because of fatigue. I don't think that's true, however. I find it hard to believe that a fifth year senior is not in enough shape to play 40 mins a game, no matter her size. Sylvia Fowles, Candace parker, even Stephanie Dolson can (I know these are strange comparisons, I'm just mentioning players of similar size), and have, played hard for 40 mins. I think Russell just doesn't want to dominate the offense sometimes, and I think that's the right move if our guards can penetrate, shoot well, etc.

"Both teams were ready from the tip, with four players on each roster getting on the board in the first quarter. After going through a scoring drought for more than three minutes, UT finished the quarter on a 14-4 run that was sparked by five consecutive free throws from Nared. The 6-foot-2 senior forward led the way offensively with seven points and Meme Jackson added a pair of 3-pointers as Tennessee took a 21-14 lead into the second period."

Russell's Double-Double Leads #6 UT To 86-70 Win Over #9 USC - University of Tennessee Athletics

nice game Lady Vols :good!:

Side note, did anyone watch Jolette Law on the sidelines during the game. She was very animated when we scored, particularly when Mercedes, Annie, and Kourtney were doing well in the first half. Seems like she really wanted to beat us.

Side note, did anyone watch Jolette Law on the sidelines during the game. She was very animated when we scored, particularly when Mercedes, Annie, and Kourtney were doing well in the first half. Seems like she really wanted to beat us.

I noticed, especially when Dunbar let those bombs fly!

I’m sure she had the scouting for this game and I’d bet not letting Kourtney have open 3’s was part of it.

VN Store

Back