The four-game stretch ahead

lvocd

JAN 11 AT TEXAS A&M
JAN 14 AT SOUTH CAROLINA
JAN 18 AT NOTRE DAME
JAN 21 at home vs MISSISSIPPI STATE

:yikes:

I know this has been discussed in various threads but, OMG, this has to be one of the most brutal stretches a Lady Vol team has faced in many years.

If you were forced to place a bet on these games, and the bet is that if you’re wrong about any of them you lose your home, how many of these games would you be willing to bet your house that Tennessee will win?

Do you think they’re ready for this kind of relentless pressure? Would you bet your house on ANY of the games? :) If so, what makes you so confident?

Me? I love this team and its toughness, but I wouldn’t be willing to bet my house on them winning ANY of these games.

Do I think it’s impossible that they could win all four? Heck no! Do I think it’s likely they win all four? Nope.

Texas A&M is always well coached, and they’ve got some super-tough players and excellent scorers. Beating them in College Station could be challenging.

South Carolina is angry right now, so their next few opponents are likely to get their best punches. Their rabid fans in their sold-out arena will also throw their best punch, too. So, no, I wouldn’t feel right betting my house that Tennessee will beat them on the road.

I feel like even though Notre Dame has been decimated by injuries, McGraw is an excellent coach -- top 3 IMO -- and so I could never see myself betting my house that they lose to Tennessee at home. That said, this last season-ending injury may just have been one too many for even the brilliant McGraw to overcome, and they could come up short.

I am a huge fan of Vic Shaeffer and what he’s done at Mississippi State, and the fact that they beat the best team in the country last year in the NCAA Tournament is all I need to know to keep me from betting my house THIS year that Tennessee will beat them.

But hey, like I said, it’s not impossible to think that Tennessee could beat all four. But it’s also possible they could lose all four. More likely? Win 2, lose 2. I’d be okay with that.

Reactions: 1 person
I wouldn't bet my house if they were playing Troy again.

LOL Me neither. And I seriously doubt anyone else would, either.

I just put it that way to bring out strong arguments one way or another. :p

Would be happy with 2-2, Hoping for 3-1. I expect 2-2. No way I would bet we win any of them.

If we go 4-0, then we are Final Four bound!!

I hope Holly, staff, and players ignore Sunday, next Thursday and Sunday. Their only concern and mine is Texas AM no need to even notice the next one until first one is done. However, i wouldn't bet my house i could text my own name properly! We will win Thursday.

Reactions: 2 people
I can see going 4-0 they have been battle tested against texas who was no 2 at the time. they went to the west coast and won there especially at Stanford. the only thing I see here is maybe a let down of nd because the rest are sec games

I want the LVs to play well but let's think about how this stretch fits with the LVs likely goals.

1. getting prepared for an NCAA tournament run-- this tough stretch should do that. From this standpoint, continuing to improve and being competitive is more important than winning per se but I would think anything less than a 2-2 split would be seen as setback.

2. Winning the SEC title- they need to win 2 out of 3 conference games or else their title hopes would take a big hit with 2 early losses. The ND game is not as significant from that standpoint.

3. Getting a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament- anything less than winning 3 of the 4 would probably hurt their cause. Losing at home would probably be viewed as a bigger negative than a road loss by the seeding committee.

But I have my Holiday Inn back-up plan in place and I am all in with the house bet- FOUR AND OH MY OH MY!!!

This is a brutal stretch of 4 games as has been stated. I believe the LVs can win 3 of the 4 games if Nared, Westbrook and Russell play their "A" games. I believe they can win all 4 games if Nared, Westbrook, Russell, Hayes and Green play their "A" games. It will not hurt if Jackson and Davis play well in either case.

The bigs on our bench will need to take some of the offensive punishment off Russell by not wasting their fouls to give with little hand slaps on opponents drives thru to the basket. Also Russell will need to shoot more 10 to 12 feet out from basket against SC and M State. Our forwards should strive to get her rebounds and help with put backs. TN has what it takes to dominate but only with limited turn overs.

Not that ranking matter but I think a 2-2 record keep us on the top 8 but if we go 3-1 I think we should be top 5 and on track to being a number 1 seed.

Not that ranking matter but I think a 2-2 record keep us on the top 8 but if we go 3-1 I think we should be top 5 and on track to being a number 1 seed.

No shame in losing on the road to SC and ND. Even if they lose to State as well, they should still be a top 8 team.

We have the capability to win all four games. South Carolina and Notre Dame will be hungry for wins.
I believe we go 3-1

It's a tournament run. #17, followed by #9, then #2, and back down to #4

It is actually a perfect timing for such an endeavor like this.

We are 15-0. Tested, We've won in blowouts. Won in fights. Won ugly., In every environment, this team has won. We have gone through this growth with scars, but no blemishes....Now, think back to how hard we had to work to get back into the top 25 when we were on the outside looking in. It seemed we had to prove ourselves worthy again and again.....The same will be true to break the top 5. We have to go through everybody in our path to pass them.

We're 15 and 0...
Are we the second coming of a "Meeks" level team?...

We're about to find out.!:hi:

I don't see why not.

Our players are just as good if not better than the competition they'll be facing

MeMe, Jaime & Mercedes will make sure the team wins. They've been through so much misery the past two seasons I'm thinking that they are ready to step it up and prove that TENNESSEE is back.

I'm not given an inch to tamu, gamecocks, the irish nor them dogs.

Fear not y'all.

GOLadyVols!:)

Reactions: 3 people
I don't see why not.

Our players are just as good if not better than the competition they'll be facing

MeMe, Jaime & Mercedes will make sure the team wins. They've been through so much misery the past two seasons I'm thinking that they are ready to step it up and prove that TENNESSEE is back.

I'm not given an inch to tamu, gamecocks, the irish nor them dogs.

Fear not y'all.

GOLadyVols!:)

I'd like to see us go through this four game span unblemished. ... We're going to lose the game or two or three if we are on that Meek level ... I just don't want it to be now.

I'd love to know what armchair thinks of this team. They always had a good perspective (people were unfairly critical towards them).

Armchair has done nothing but bash the team since their last NC. S/he has nothing to say now. Just wait until they have their first loss, and s/he'll reappear.

Reactions: 8 people
We have the wise old owl Mercedes Russell she can play at least even with any 5 in the country. Jaime Nared can play with any 3 or 4 in the country. Cheridene Green is as good as any 6 lady in the country. I'll take Rennia Davis with anyone 3 . Now to the guards, Anastasia Hayes, Evina Westbrook and Meme Jackson are as good as any set of guards in the country. We have some more on the bench that can help if needed. These young lady's have more will to win as any team in the country, and don't want to lose either. I see no reason why we won't win the next four games.

Reactions: 3 people
I believe they are a tested team right now. Whether they will be able to exert their will on these top 5 teams is another thing. I think they will but it will take focus, good defense, low turnovers, and a decent shooting percentage. If they put all that together, they have a great chance to run the table.

The away games will be tough but I think ND can be had. They are short handed and I think we can run them out of the gym. South Carolina is coming off a defeat and that will shake their feeling of invincibility. Yes, it is at their place but the pressure will be on them coming off a loss and with the top ranked team coming to town soon. I think we can beat them easier than we can beat ND at their place.

Texas A&M will be a test for sure but I think we have the better athletes who are playing as a team and we will take them down tonight if we are not looking ahead.

That leaves Miss St. We beat them handily at their place last year. That loss will be on their mind. Did we have a fluke game and they have the worst game of their year against us or did we just have the superior team? There might be a seed of doubt in their minds that they can beat us especially at our place. Miss St. has to have the outside game clicking (kind of the way Vandy played lights out from the perimeter) if they are going to compete. Pressure normally makes it tougher on the long range shooters. I think Mercedes will do well against the Miss St bigs as this will be the marquee big girl matchup in the conference this year. I look for Mercedes to establish herself as the premier big in the SEC.

Even if they do well, there are still a lot of games on the back end of the gauntlet that are plenty important. Got Missouri to contend with and who know whether they will be allowed to play aggressively like they did against USC. Got another shot at USC. Have not beat Alabama is a while (as I look for that paper bag to put over my head). LSU will be tough down at their place. Still plenty of important games to play which is why I think the biggest concern is how they handle the next seven games. I think if they learn and grow, we will be in good shape for both tournaments. If they get their confidence shaken, the row to hoe will get a lot tougher. Here's hoping we perform well, learn from the mistakes, and grow stronger as a team.

It's a tournament run. #17, followed by #9, then #2, and back down to #4

It is actually a perfect timing for such an endeavor like this.

We are 15-0. Tested, We've won in blowouts. Won in fights. Won ugly., In every environment, this team has won. We have gone through this growth with scars, but no blemishes....Now, think back to how hard we had to work to get back into the top 25 when we were on the outside looking in. It seemed we had to prove ourselves worthy again and again.....The same will be true to break the top 5. We have to go through everybody in our path to pass them.

We're 15 and 0...
Are we the second coming of a "Meeks" level team?...

We're about to find out.!:hi:

I have no idea how anyone could schedule 4 tough games close to each other.

I have no idea how anyone could schedule 4 tough games close to each other.

Most schedules are made years in advance. Like for instance we may schedule 2 games here to games away one game here one game away for a six-game run with a certain College. At the time we're scheduling there are only as good as they were at that moment.

VN Store

Back