Vanderbilt Post Game Presser

LadyVol1908

I think it’ll be great to start posting the presser after the games when we can. It provides a little insight into what the players and Holly were thinking throughout the games! It’s just a suggestion but like GMule’s routine game day threads, maybe we should start a routine presser thread as well, just a thought. Love you VolNation fam!

Players Presser: Mercedes, Green, Nared
Lady Vol players post-game vs. Vanderbilt. - YouTube

Holly’s Presser: Holly Warlick post-game vs. Vanderbilt. - YouTube

Reactions: 7 people
I think it’ll be great to start posting the presser after the games when we can. It provides a little insight into what the players and Holly were thinking throughout the games! It’s just a suggestion but like GMule’s routine game day threads, maybe we should start a routine presser thread as well, just a thought. Love you VolNation fam!

Players Presser: Mercedes, Green, Nared
Lady Vol players post-game vs. Vanderbilt. - YouTube

Holly’s Presser: Holly Warlick post-game vs. Vanderbilt. - YouTube

Yesss. Awesome idea! Thank you so much

Yes good idea!

Great to see Cheridene in the presser.

I like that the top 3 performers are given a chance to talk about the game after each game.

Vanderbilt Head Coach Stephanie White
On matching someone up with Mercedes Russell:

"She's a nightmare, yes. She's really hard to matchup with, not just because of her size, but her poise, her strength. I was able to cover Russell when we were doing TV, when she was a freshman and when she was a sophomore. (That was) when she didn't want that contact, when she was a little bit passive wanting the ball. Her development, particularly over the last two years, has been phenomenal. She's a pro. There's no doubt about it. She's hungry for the ball. She puts this team on her shoulders in a way that you don't see a lot of bigs do. She's so poised and mobile. I'm not sure there is anybody in the country that can match up with her. She's really a rock and a glue for them."

Reactions: 7 people

"She's a nightmare, yes. She's really hard to matchup with, not just because of her size, but her poise, her strength. I was able to cover Russell when we were doing TV, when she was a freshman and when she was a sophomore. (That was) when she didn't want that contact, when she was a little bit passive wanting the ball. Her development, particularly over the last two years, has been phenomenal. She's a pro. There's no doubt about it. She's hungry for the ball. She puts this team on her shoulders in a way that you don't see a lot of bigs do. She's so poised and mobile. I'm not sure there is anybody in the country that can match up with her. She's really a rock and a glue for them."
Wait... That can't be possible according to some on here who think Dean as her position coach is one of the worst coaches around. Hmm wonder who is correct? The Dean bashers? Don't think so. :)

Reactions: 5 people
Wait... That can't be possible according to some on here who think Dean as her position coach is one of the worst coaches around. Hmm wonder who is correct? The Dean bashers? Don't think so. :)

When was the last time someone bashed Dean here?

When was the last time someone bashed Dean here?

Remember that whole... who has Dean developed and posters were saying look at how Izzy developed and Glory Johnson? They also tried to say Dean didn’t really help with CP3s development but she was just that good anyways? Those are the posters I think he/she is talking about.

It was when Glory Johnson credited her development to Dean in an article. It was awhile back.

Regardless Russell has developed both physically and she is now more demanding for the ball. I wish she demanded the ball MORE but I just don’t think she has that mean streak quite yet! As much as she gets beat up on I don’t know how she doesn’t get a tech I guess she has been used to it since high school...because they are forever hitting her in the back.

Someone answer me this... I thought you could arm bar in the post but as soon as you lose contact you can’t do it again on the same possession? I thought you had to maintain the contact in the post.

Reactions: 3 people
A 6' 6 " post has a good game against the worst team in the league and you want her on the wall of fame? Lets see what she does vs Wilson, or Kalana Brown of Baylor and against Stevens of UConn.

Reactions: 1 person
Remember that whole... who has Dean developed and posters were saying look at how Izzy developed and Glory Johnson? They also tried to say Dean didn’t really help with CP3s development but she was just that good anyways? Those are the posters I think he/she is talking about.

It was when Glory Johnson credited her development to Dean in an article. It was awhile back.

Regardless Russell has developed both physically and she is now more demanding for the ball. I wish she demanded the ball MORE but I just don’t think she has that mean streak quite yet! As much as she gets beat up on I don’t know how she doesn’t get a tech I guess she has been used to it since high school...because they are forever hitting her in the back.

Someone answer me this... I thought you could arm bar in the post but as soon as you lose contact you can’t do it again on the same possession? I thought you had to maintain the contact in the post.

I remember but it has been ages it seems since anyone said anything negative about Dan so I was just asking why bring him up lol.

To answer your question you use to be able to, I am unsure if you still can I think they no longer allow the arm bar but rather an open hand and you can keep it there but once you lose contact you can't touch again

A 6' 6 " post has a good game against the worst team in the league and you want her on the wall of fame? Lets see what she does vs Wilson, or Kalana Brown of Baylor and against Stevens of UConn.

Sometimes I feel like you are talking to yourself because you’re post are disconnected sometimes... so huh?

Last season MR had 22 pts, 12 rbs, 4 blks vs. Kalani Brown, and 16 pts, 10 rbs vs. Wilson/Coates.

Reactions: 2 people
MR pretty much out dueled most of the centers she played last year and played athletic Brianna Turner to a draw Cedes 13 -4 to Turner 10-7.

brown was sitting most of the first half from foul trouble and still Baylor beat Russell's UT team by 22 pts.

And Coates & Wilson also sat a huge portion of the game last year when UT lucked out a win. So, Russell did have some "better" numbers than their usual.

brown was sitting most of the first half from foul trouble and still Baylor beat Russell's UT team by 22 pts.

And Coates & Wilson also sat a huge portion of the game last year when UT lucked out a win. So, Russell did have some "better" numbers than their usual.

Yes she has improved her game over the years. I give credit to her for the work she put in. Deans input? Who knows. I’ve never been a big fan of his but just imo.

Said all along that even with all of her faults, Russell is the difference maker for Tennessee. She's almost impossible to match up against one on one.

Said all along that even with all of her faults, Russell is the difference maker for Tennessee. She's almost impossible to match up against one on one.

She IS the difference maker - and people do not realize her skill and the things she does. To me - she makes it look easy and people don’t realize the hits she takes! Whew! Last year when the LVs played at Vandy, I sat right behind the LV bench (The benches are under the goals - weird!) and I had a very up close view. I thought if that Marquess Webb elbowed Cedes in tne ribs one more time my head would explode! Part of it, I know, but it still pissed me off! LOL

Gule, you better back off The Cedes! 😤
She does a lot more than you’re giving her credit for and I promise - we will miss her presence in the paint when she’s gone. 😔

On another note - loved both pressers! Love the confidence I see in Holly and the confidence she has in this team! I love the great vibe among the team that is so, so obvious. Chemistry really does matter... it’s like night and day from last year.

Go Lady Vols!!! 🧡

She IS the difference maker - and people do not realize her skill and the things she does. To me - she makes it look easy and people don’t realize the hits she takes! Whew! Last year when the LVs played at Vandy, I sat right behind the LV bench (The benches are under the goals - weird!) and I had a very up close view. I thought if that Marquess Webb elbowed Cedes in tne ribs one more time my head would explode! Part of it, I know, but it still pissed me off! LOL

Gule, you better back off The Cedes! 😤
She does a lot more than you’re giving her credit for and I promise - we will miss her presence in the paint when she’s gone. 😔

On another note - loved both pressers! Love the confidence I see in Holly and the confidence she has in this team! I love the great vibe among the team that is so, so obvious. Chemistry really does matter... it’s like night and day from last year.

Go Lady Vols!!! 🧡

It's not that people don't see it, I think with her passive demeanor at times, people feel she can do more.

I have been one of Mercedes toughest critics and it's not because I didn't think she can play, I think she is a game changer. I feel she at her size could've done more for us than Griner did for Baylor (let's face it Griner still is limited to really just a dunk).

Her ability as we've saw in the Auburn (all the block shots leading to fast breaks) and Vandy (the one that lead to Annie getting the And 1) to control the paint and limit players trying to challenge her works to our advantage and that's all many want to see from her consistently (or at least that's what I'd like to see).

If she plays like that night in and night out and limits the laziness (and these are my thoughts) when she is tired I think it elevates us as a team and puts us in the contender picture for sure.

It is also why I am advocating for a lot more time for Green to play alongside Russell because I believe she will allow Russell to rest a tad bit on the floor offensively and defensively when they are playing together.

Green seems to have a motor that doesn't quit and is very active around the glass which allows Mercedes to rebound when it's there but most importantly contest shots because she knows if it is missed Green, Jaime or Davis is going to get the defensive rebound

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It's not that people don't see it, I think with her passive demeanor at times, people feel she can do more.

I have been one of Mercedes toughest critics and it's not because I didn't think she can play, I think she is a game changer. I feel she at her size could've done more for us than Griner did for Baylor (let's face it Griner still is limited to really just a dunk).

Her ability as we've saw in the Auburn (all the block shots leading to fast breaks) and Vandy (the one that lead to Annie getting the And 1) to control the paint and limit players trying to challenge her works to our advantage and that's all many want to see from her consistently (or at least that's what I'd like to see).

If she plays like that night in and night out and limits the laziness (and these are my thoughts) when she is tired I think it elevates us as a team and puts us in the contender picture for sure.

It is also why I am advocating for a lot more time for Green to play alongside Russell because I believe she will also Russell to rest a tad bit on the floor offensively and defensively when they are playing together.

Green seems to have a motor that doesn't quit and is very active around the glass which allows Mercedes to rebound when it's there but most importantly contest shots because she knows if it is missed Green, Jaime or Davis is going to get the defensive rebound

Love Mercedes and Cheridene in together and also love that she can come in and let Cedes get rest and come back in fresh and go to work. I think it has really been a plus and as the season progresses, I believe we will see the most dominant and aggressive Cedes yet!

Cedes does things with such finesse - I remember one game recently where I saw her literally just precisely thread her long, tall body through a web of defenders and go up and get the shot. How about that mid-range shot she took in the Vandy game? Whew! Also...love, love, love her hook! (Sorry - fangurling!) ☺️

I loved the praise Cedes gave Cheridene in the presser! And on Cheridene - you know my thoughts on her - sheer POWER - whew! Love it! Sometimes when she goes up with that putback I think the glass might break! 😳

I know you respect Cedes... I got where you were coming from. You’re a fan and coach, I’m a fan and mama. 😉

Go Lady Vols! 🧡

Love Mercedes and Cheridene in together and also love that she can come in and let Cedes get rest and come back in fresh and go to work. I think it has really been a plus and as the season progresses, I believe we will see the most dominant and aggressive Cedes yet!

Cedes does things with such finesse - I remember one game recently where I saw her literally just precisely thread her long, tall body through a web of defenders and go up and get the shot. How about that mid-range shot she took in the Vandy game? Whew! Also...love, love, love her hook! (Sorry - fangurling!) ☺️

I loved the praise Cedes gave Cheridene in the presser! And on Cheridene - you know my thoughts on her - sheer POWER - whew! Love it! Sometimes when she goes up with that putback I think the glass might break! 😳

I know you respect Cedes... I got where you were coming from. You’re a fan and coach, I’m a fan and mama. 😉

Go Lady Vols! 🧡

Awesome! Yes I am really impressed with her improvements (Mercedes) and truly feel if she continues to play like she has been this season we will definitely see a Final Four and have a chance at #9!

I also think she has improved her draft stock and will be a Top 3 pick in the draft for sure (Pokey Chatman loves her and I believes selects her at #2)

Looking forward to her showing the world that she is the Top Center in the college game when she faces Hillsman, and McCowen in this 4 game stretch and the potential to see other top post in the tournament.

VN Store

Back