How good is A’ja Wilson?

Undercovervol

I’ve watched her for a while now, and I’m still undecided on how much she will excell in the WNBA and where she stands in relation to some of the all time greats. I do appreciate and respect her game, however.
It may be an unfair comparison, because I think the team surrounding Parker was better than Wilson’s in their senior years, but if you compare Parker as a senior to Wilson as a senior, I believe Parker to clearly be the better and simply more dominant player in all aspects of the game. A’ja likes to think of herself as a guard/Center, like Parker, but she does not have the skill set or versatility that Parker has/had. Even Alyssa Thomas could be compared to Wilson.
She seems to be the favorite for player of the year. I can’t really think of anyone better, though KLS at UCONN really impressed me with her all around offensive game. She is a great player. Who are rivals for A’ja for player of the year? Does she deserve player of the year?
And how good do you think A’ja Wilson is?

Reactions: 1 person
I’ve watched her for a while now, and I’m still undecided on how much she will excell in the WNBA and where she stands in relation to some of the all time greats. I do appreciate and respect her game, however.
It may be an unfair comparison, because I think the team surrounding Parker was better than Wilson’s in their senior years, but if you compare Parker as a senior to Wilson as a senior, I believe Parker to clearly be the better and simply more dominant player in all aspects of the game. A’ja likes to think of herself as a guard/Center, like Parker, but she does not have the skill set or versatility that Parker has/had. Even Alyssa Thomas could be compared to Wilson.
She seems to be the favorite for player of the year. I can’t really think of anyone better, though KLS at UCONN really impressed me with her all around offensive game. She is a great player. Who are rivals for A’ja for player of the year? Does she deserve player of the year?
And how good do you think A’ja Wilson is?

A'ja who?

Reactions: 3 people
Parker Is one the top 3 players in the world. A'ja is not in her class, but will probably be the first player taken in the WNBA draft.

Aja is very good. She's the best player in the country and has developed very well during her time at SC.

However, she is not a transcendent player. Like Diggins she was a local star who stayed home and has made the program better than ever. I consider Diggins and Wilson transformative players. Parker, DT, Maya, Holdsclaw, Catchings, Stewart, Griner are transcendent players.

She's good enough to be NPOY and first pick in the WNBA draft. In another 6 months or so, we'll be able to see her play against Parker, Stewart, Maya Moore, Griner.

Reactions: 3 people
How good is Wilson? Well generally if you come in to college a #1 recruit the goal is to leave a #1 draft pick with some hardware and a ring or two. She has done that and at a school that hadn't won anything before she got there. I don't know what a guard/center is but as a forward she is up there with some of the best.

I think what has hurt her (in terms of not being considered transcendent) was not showing much versatility until this year. As a HS recruit the rating services were all about her being able to handle the ball and hit 3s and I don't think she even hit 1 until this year. I'm not saying she didn't have the ability the whole time but it wasn't something welcomed by the team she was on. They wanted her in the paint and considering when she first got there SCar really didn't have any great shooters they needed her in the paint getting high percentage shots.

Its hard for me to imagine anyone other than Wilson winning it but big time scorers usually also get votes so I would expect Durr (although only a Junior) and Mitchell to also be in the running. The harder you are to stop and the more versatile you are the better your chance of winning and so far she has had idk what 3, 4, 5 or so 30 point games?

Reactions: 2 people
I think she'll be a serviceable WNBA player. Better pro potential than Plum. It wouldn't surprise me to see her have similar success as Nneka Ogwumike. She can play a similar role. A front court rotation of her, Izzy Harrison, and Deirica Hamby has a lot of upside.

VN Store

Back