Game Thread Lady Vols vs Auburn

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
Reactions: 3 people
GLV's. Last time, we started put strong but faded and got smashed. This time, they need to start strong and not let off the pedal. With the way they are playing, this game will be a good opportunity to get some starters a little rest while reserves get some quality minutes before they hit that brutal stretch.

Reactions: 2 people
Expecting a lot better performance in this game. I doubt we'll see Jaime shoot as badly as she did at Ky. I think we need to score 80 again and think we will.

LVs should never ever let Ms St, Aub, Ga, Al, TAM and OM beat them again. Right this wrong like with Texas. I hope they destroy these teams and put things back in proper order.

Reactions: 3 people
LVs should never ever let Ms St, Aub, Ga, Al, TAM and OM beat them again. Right this wrong like with Texas. I hope they destroy these teams and put things back in proper order.

Out of those Ms St has started something special and the thing they missed last year was shooters! Now they have that and their ball movements mirrors how ours is this year but with all upperclassmen in the perimeter so it’s a bit more decisive. A&M has a special one in Carter but as a whole they struggle at times offensively.

I read an article where Lockwood was wondering what other teams thought about their team and the team’s success. I wonder the same thing... and I also wonder when they picked them to finish 5th if that was in hopes of a down year? Because right now they look like a top 3 team but can’t count out mizzou. That Mz team and A&M team are both gritty and that game should be a doozy with Carter and Cunningham (if she is healthy).

Am and Missouri are tough yes but because he logs them so many minutes they burned out against sc mizzo is good too but beatable ms state has become really good they do have shooters but no one has the length we have and I want to see if McCowan can makes post moves with someone her size as she mostly only get lay ups and put backs

Auburn had only 6 TOs vs Florida and Fla had nothing left in final period outscored in previously close game 4 - 30.

lost to Auburn last year by 18 I believe.

Reactions: 1 person
GLV's. Last time, we started put strong but faded and got smashed. This time, they need to start strong and not let off the pedal. With the way they are playing, this game will be a good opportunity to get some starters a little rest while reserves get some quality minutes before they hit that brutal stretch.

With this group I expect the Ladies to start strong. I feel that part of the issue at Kentucky was due to a long layoff. Thought we were not at our best, we still won. That is what good teams do. I can’t see Nared having two off games in a row. I think we win by at least 20 points.

They will win the next two pretty easily and everyone will get good minutes so they will be rested but still be able to practice some things that will prepare them for that 10 day stretch from 1/11-1/21. The way Auburn plays can sometimes make a game very helter skelter so they should really be pleased if they reach Holly's magic number of 12 turnovers. Like others have said that would be the main thing I would worry about is the turnovers. As the opponents get better they are going to need to be more consistent with that. Right now they have more games where they have more turnovers than assists than not. I think this seasons schedule is actually pretty brilliant for this team overall though.

It's balanced yet challenging and they got to build a little confidence before having to drudge through January. By February the team will know all of their strengths and weakness and Holly & Co. will be able to prepare them for the conference and the NCAA tourney will loads of good game tape vs worthy opponents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Auburn lost their two best players to graduation, and I don't think they have the offensive firepower or defensive size to bother Tennessee. The LVs should win big again. I wouldn't he surprised to see Auburn's PG put up a high scoring game, but she will have little help from the rest of her teammates.

Tennessee 72 Auburn 55 is my guess.

I dont see an ESPN schedule for Tennessee and Auburn???

DUH its tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!:)

Last edited:
Auburn lost their two best players to graduation, and I don't think they have the offensive firepower or defensive size to bother Tennessee. The LVs should win big again. I wouldn't he surprised to see Auburn's PG put up a high scoring game, but she will have little help from the rest of her teammates.

Tennessee 72 Auburn 55 is my guess.

that sounds about right

that sounds about right

To me, this game starts the SEC run. KY was a pre-seasom game. Time to get back to serious....

It's a home game against a team whose men just whipped our men's team.

Plenty of motivation to be our best.

I'm thinking 80-55 sounds about right.
Or 102-88 in a shootout.

Either way, I want the players to leave KY behind them and get back to being The New Old kids on the block.

Auburn games tend to be a low scoring affair. It would take a huge mental collapse for Tennessee to give up 80+ points. Frankly, Auburn doesn't have enough firepower to do that against an elite team.

Their only chance is to rattle Tennessee's guard and force turnovers like last year, but they don't have enough scorers to make them pay for turnovers.

Auburn games tend to be a low scoring affair. It would take a huge mental collapse for Tennessee to give up 80+ points. Frankly, Auburn doesn't have enough firepower to do that against an elite team.

Their only chance is to rattle Tennessee's guard and force turnovers like last year, but they don't have enough scorers to make them pay for turnovers.

I was just about to say... LOL if Auburn scores 88 points this board will have a melt down. Agreed that Auburn will make you turn it over (that's their thing) but they can't do much once they get the ball. They are like a few years ago when South Carolina averaged an ungodly number of free throw attempts per game but couldn't shoot free throws. Insanity. Auburn could force 30+ turnovers and Tennessee would still win by 15+ even if the LV only shoot 40% on the night.

Although Tennessee has a problem with turnovers, most are dead ball turnovers. In the Kentucky game, Tennessee scored 12 pts off of 12 Kentucky turnovers, while Kentucky scored 8 pts off of 21 Tennessee turnovers.

To me, this game starts the SEC run. KY was a pre-seasom game. Time to get back to serious....

It's a home game against a team whose men just whipped our men's team.

Plenty of motivation to be our best.

I'm thinking 80-55 sounds about right.
Or 102-88 in a shootout.

Either way, I want the players to leave KY behind them and get back to being The New Old kids on the block.

To me I HOPE our team doesn’t think this game starts the SEC run because they would have reverted to last year and not taking each and every opponent seriously. They need to know they are 1-0 and earned that win, but now it’s time to win their first SEC game at home (because losing in the Summitt is just a no-no, much less losing at all). While the team got laxed in the last game I think the ten day lay off/break and being on an SEC opponents floor in the famous Rupp Arena was part of it as well. I gotta give credit to KY they made a run and started playing better but we did we what we do and got to the free throw line and got the ball into Russell. I also expect Rennia to start being a double digit scorer again and remain consistent on the boards. My wonder is will we see more or less of the bench? I think in a game like this having a tall PG who can see over the defense benefits but Annie can be a one man press break. She just need some to not get to far into the lane and pull the ball back out in the middle of the floor. No long one handed lob passes.

Our ball handler must want the ball. Throwing the ball, under pressure, to a team-mate who does not want the hot potato usually means a turnover!

Under pressure, be more like Bridgette Gordon in wanting the ball. Attack the rim!

Am and Missouri are tough yes but because he logs them so many minutes they burned out against sc mizzo is good too but beatable ms state has become really good they do have shooters but no one has the length we have and I want to see if McCowan can makes post moves with someone her size as she mostly only get lay ups and put backs

I think that we may be one of the most athletic teams in the country. Youth may be our possible sore spot, recent events do not show a glaring issue. The freshmen occasionally make freshmen mistakes and some of that should be expected.

Missouri, Miss. State and USC are a tough out, however, we proved ourselves against a very athletic Texas team. If our players stay focused and play up to their capabilities we have an even shot against any of the top ten program. This team can really be something special.

VN Store

Back