Westbrook grabs SEC Freshman accolades

I couldn't be happier with our new players this year. They are even BETTER than advertised, and that's a rarity.

LOVE THESE LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 4 people
i remember another freshman who often had this type of stat-line, a few years back.

What I like most of all about this young lady is her vision of the court and distribution/passing of the ball.Fact is she is the best passer that I have observed in women's basketball and I have been an avid fan since 1977.Once this team gets completely used to playing together and her passes ,the sky is the limit offensively for this team.Am glad that she is now becoming more aggressive in looking for her own shot because she is also really good at scoring the ball .

Reactions: 2 people
This will not be her last! This our first true point guard and Annie this year is a good addition plus Jasmine next year!!!! We need a point guard every year.... Can't have too many point guards. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
It's nice to get awards. It's even nicer to be winning. I expect she appreciates the former but is totally into the latter.

Even after this year we have her another 3 years also with Rennia Davis, Anastasia Hayes, and Kasiyahna Kushkituah. We sure will miss Jaime Nared, Mercedes Russell, and Kortney Dunbar next year. The future looks bright for the Lady Vol's. With the addition of Zarielle Green, Jazmine Massengill, Rae Burrell, and Amira Collins. Lady Vol's keep on rolling.

Last edited:
What I like most of all about this young lady is her vision of the court and distribution/passing of the ball.Fact is she is the best passer that I have observed in women's basketball and I have been an avid fan since 1977.Once this team gets completely used to playing together and her passes ,the sky is the limit offensively for this team.Am glad that she is now becoming more aggressive in looking for her own shot because she is also really good at scoring the ball .

Yep, I also love her vision and I’m thrilled she’s been looking to score more. If she becomes a consistent scoring threat, in addition to her established passing and defense, the sky is the limit. Our freshmen are special because they all bring different skill sets.

Even after this year we have her another 3 years also with Rennia Davis, Anastasia Hayes, and Kasiyahna Kushkituah. We sure will miss Jaime Nared, Mercedes Russell, and Kortney Dunbar next year. The future looks bright for the Lady Vol's. With the addition of Zarielle Green, Jazmine Massengill, Rae Burrell, and Amira Collins. Lady Vol's keep on rolling.

I do love the talent influx but not enough can be said for senior leadership. I think the team will miss Jamie, Kortney and Mercedes more than most currently think. Our freshmen have yet to hit that wall that most do at one point or another and is where that senior experience makes the difference between a win and a loss. Yes, next years incoming freshmen are talented and that is a good thing but most of the talent on the team will be freshmen and sophomores. While it bodes well for the future, there may be a leadership void that will have to be compensated for in some way. While the eternal optimist, I am also a realist and remember the last time we had such a young team.

I do love the talent influx but not enough can be said for senior leadership. I think the team will miss Jamie, Kortney and Mercedes more than most currently think. Our freshmen have yet to hit that wall that most do at one point or another and is where that senior experience makes the difference between a win and a loss. Yes, next years incoming freshmen are talented and that is a good thing but most of the talent on the team will be freshmen and sophomores. While it bodes well for the future, there may be a leadership void that will have to be compensated for in some way. While the eternal optimist, I am also a realist and remember the last time we had such a young team.

Just depends on how Cheridene and Meme step up with being leaders along with the sophomores (I think Evina will fill this role very well)... I also think Annie has the potential to step up and show the guards what/how to do it.

That’s not to say that Jaime and Mercedes’ points, rebounds, and leadership won’t be missed. But they are allowing these freshmen to grow and I while I think their will be an adjustment I think that they will be better equipped for the challenge because of the freedom both the coaches and their teammates have allowed these ladies.

i remember another freshman who often had this type of stat-line, a few years back.

which one coach ?

I do think the Lady Vols will miss the Senior leadership that will be gone next year,but hopefully some on the team are learning what it takes to be leaders both on and off the court

it will be interesting as to who steps up and who doesn't,hard to tell with a load of Freshmen

which one coach ?

I do think the Lady Vols will miss the Senior leadership that will be gone next year,but hopefully some on the team are learning what it takes to be leaders both on and off the court

it will be interesting as to who steps up and who doesn't,hard to tell with a load of Freshmen

Holdsclaw had statlines like this.

Meme has to be , and is being, groomed to take over the senior leadership. she sees this and it is one of the reasons her game has changed so dramatically. She needs the opportunity to work on her one on one skills in the offseason with a skills coach.

The good thing is that the Freshmen class coming in may be as good as this one is. I think we have already seen who was ready to step in and step up from day one.

Holdsclaw had statlines like this.

Meme has to be , and is being, groomed to take over the senior leadership. she sees this and it is one of the reasons her game has changed so dramatically. She needs the opportunity to work on her one on one skills in the offseason with a skills coach.

The good thing is that the Freshmen class coming in may be as good as this one is. I think we have already seen who was ready to step in and step up from day one.

I hope you are right, but I don't see a Rennia Davis, Anastasia Hayes or Evina Westbrook in the 2018 class.

I hope you are right, but I don't see a Rennia Davis, Anastasia Hayes or Evina Westbrook in the 2018 class.

Collins and Green will be good for us! Haven’t seen enough of Massengil or Burrell. I believe the biggest impact player from that class will be Collins.

Collins and Green will be good for us! Haven’t seen enough of Massengil or Burrell. I believe the biggest impact player from that class will be Collins.

I've watch Massengil a lot, very good player just not sure she has SEC speed for a PG.
Also watch Kamilla Cardosa she is much faster right now then Mercedes Russell

PER. ESPN She runs this team.
1 Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (11-1)
Chattanooga, TN --

Last Week: 1 Sophomore Kamilla Cardosa had 12 points and 10 rebounds and Hamilton Heights beat North Central (Indianapolis) 62-34 in the Zellous Jam in Indianapolis. Next up is DME Academy (Dayton Beach, Florida) at the Title IX Classic in Washington, D.C.

Last edited:
I've watch Massengil a lot, very good player just not sure she has SEC speed for a PG.
Also watch Kamilla Cardosa she is much faster right now then Mercedes Russell

PER. ESPN She runs this team.
1 Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (11-1)
Chattanooga, TN --

Last Week: 1 Sophomore Kamilla Cardosa had 12 points and 10 rebounds and Hamilton Heights beat North Central (Indianapolis) 62-34 in the Zellous Jam in Indianapolis. Next up is DME Academy (Dayton Beach, Florida) at the Title IX Classic in Washington, D.C.

Massengill is their point by default. She is more a two guard or wing. Her game is more designed to penetrating and shooting 8’—12’ game. However , her handling and dribbling is equal to most point guards.. I don’t see her at point at UT as long as Westbrook and Annie are able to play! Could she play point? Absolutely...It would be interesting to watch a team pressure us with those three guards in the game. Throw in Green and Davis..... I am laughing now😈
Do HH want to get the ball to Kamilla.... she is 6’6” and like anyone that size.... a nightmare to guard! She kept the ball high at all times like you are supposed to.... Mercedes has not done this basic skill EVER !!! Kamilla has improved her basketball skills a lot from freshman to her Sophomore year and she is important to their team now but not the leader this year......
Balogun is the leader this year.... she is their (Jamie Nared) for this year... They will be hard pressed to replace her . JMO

The future will depend on the development of Treasure Hunt. She does not know how good she is!! Both her and Kamilla are just sophomores with the rest of this year and two more years to improve their game..... Both in the top ten of their class!!

Reactions: 4 people
Evina is easily the best all-around lead guard Tennessee has had in a very long time. Only Hornbuckle comes to mind in terms of ability to pass, score, and defend at a very high level, and I think Evina surpasses Alexis in the first two and has the potential to be her equal on the third. She is a potential program changer for Tennessee if she continues to play like she's been, especially once she establishes herself as more of a scorer.

Tennessee will go a long way with her at the helm.

Reactions: 5 people
Evina is easily the best all-around lead guard Tennessee has had in a very long time. Only Hornbuckle comes to mind in terms of ability to pass, score, and defend at a very high level, and I think Evina surpasses Alexis in the first two and has the potential to be her equal on the third. She is a potential program changer for Tennessee if she continues to play like she's been, especially once she establishes herself as more of a scorer.

Tennessee will go a long way with her at the helm.

I so much agree, this freshman class is something special.

She's a baller. I love her game. I love her swag. Sue Bird type guard. Skylar Diggins type guard.

She's making me forget about the worst point guard in Lady Vols history.

Glad she is a Lady Vol.

I back Pat and roll with Holly!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back