Mercedes Russell needs more shots

NoBackBoard

Before the season began, Russell said she wanted to average a double-double and improve her free throw shooting.

Last year, Russell averaged 16 points, 9.7 rebounds and shot 67% from the free-throw line.

She has upped her scoring this season to 17 points per game, though her free-throw shooting is down slightly to 65% and her rebounding is down to 8.6 per game.

Ironically, the biggest hurdle to Russell increasing her rebounding may be freshman teammate Rennia Davis, who is averaging 8.2 boards. Nared leads the team with 9.3 rebounds per game.

Make no mistake: if the Lady Vols are going to reach their first Final Four in 10 years, Russell needs to dominate.

Her biggest weapon is her shooting percentage, which is 67% and ranks 4th in the nation. However, Russell only averages 11 shots per game.

Jaime Nared leads the team with 14 attempts per outing but shoots 42%.

In the win against Texas, Russell was 7-13 from the floor while Nared was 6-20.

I would like Russell to average at least 15 shots per game.

My question is how can the team effectively get Russell more shots, while not harming the current good mojo which has the Lady Vols undefeated and ranked 7th nationally?

I agree, get her involved with pick and roll more, let her shoot the face up shot, let the guards drive and dish

Before the season began, Russell said she wanted to average a double-double and improve her free throw shooting.

Last year, Russell averaged 16 points, 9.7 rebounds and shot 67% from the free-throw line.

She has upped her scoring this season to 17 points per game, though her free-throw shooting is down slightly to 65% and her rebounding is down to 8.6 per game.

Ironically, the biggest hurdle to Russell increasing her rebounding may be freshman teammate Rennia Davis, who is averaging 8.2 boards. Nared leads the team with 9.3 rebounds per game.

Make no mistake: if the Lady Vols are going to reach their first Final Four in 10 years, Russell needs to dominate.

Her biggest weapon is her shooting percentage, which is 67% and ranks 4th in the nation. However, Russell only averages 11 shots per game.

Jaime Nared leads the team with 14 attempts per outing but shoots 42%.

In the win against Texas, Russell was 7-13 from the floor while Nared was 6-20.

I would like Russell to average at least 15 shots per game.

My question is how can the team effectively get Russell more shots, while not harming the current good mojo which has the Lady Vols undefeated and ranked 7th nationally?

Getting her two more shots per quarter shouldn’t cause too much of a disruption to the flow of the game....

They’ll have to slow the game down to get her more shots. When they’re running, they’re shooting as she’s crossing half court.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not sure why we're arbitrarily saying we need to get Russell 2 more shots per game when our team chemistry, passing, and results are better than they've been in several years, particularly if it's to allow Russell to set a personal goal of a double-double when our focus needs to be on team goals.

Reactions: 1 person
You have remember as well that wen she gets the ball a lot of times she is double teamed and pass it out. Count how many times that happens

I'm not sure why we're arbitrarily saying we need to get Russell 2 more shots per game when our team chemistry, passing, and results are better than they've been in several years, particularly if it's to allow Russell to set a personal goal of a double-double when our focus needs to be on team goals.

Uhmmm, she has double digit scoring so that doesn’t affect that... I think the poster is saying because she can essentially increase her scoring average from 17 pts to 22 pts ,if the averages play out, if she were to get 15 shots. If it’s broke don’t fix it but FOR YEARS people have complained about Russel not being aggressive enough, take more shots, etc. I’m good with the way things are but I easily think she could have 30 pt games like McCowan or Wilson but because the balance is so good it hasn’t needed to happen yet. However, shooting 67% I love getting the ball into her as well and I wouldn’t mind if she shot the ball 3-4 more times a game as long as it’s within the flow of the offense. Another thing, Russell often has two players putting a body on her which is allowing Nared and Davis to come in and get the rebound so while she isn’t grabbing the board the attention paid to her is helping her teammates get those rebounds.

Reactions: 3 people
When your pushing the ball like we are she is going to be left out on several possessions. We have done a great job of getting her the ball this season. When we get in half court games because the other team is slowing the ball then that would be the game she should get more looks.

So, last season, a major complaint was that the team forced the ball into MR, even she was double teamed. This season, the LVs have much better offensive flow, are scoring more points, and MR is still averaging a double-double.

What exactly is the problem that needs to be solved here?

Reactions: 10 people
They’ll have to slow the game down to get her more shots. When they’re running, they’re shooting as she’s crossing half court.

I think if you rewatch the TX game, you will see that MR was faster than their posts. NO, she can't run with the guards...The fact is guards from other teams can't even run with our guards.

don't mess with the mojo...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

Leggo my mojo

You have remember as well that wen she gets the ball a lot of times she is double teamed and pass it out. Count how many times that happens

Yes,,and she forces it up instead of looking for a kickout some times as well....But I will take that flaw with the rest of her game...!

So, last season, a major complaint was that the team forced the ball into MR, even she was double teamed. This season, the LVs have much better offensive flow, are scoring more points, and MR is still averaging a double-double.

There is no problem mt,,, when you are winning!
As the poster said, don't mess with the mojo.

Last year we had players who were about numbers and look what it got us.

This year we have a synchronicity and a continuity on both offense and defense. No drama. Why start some?

This is the type of team that is dependent on chemistry. NOT numbers!

J. Shepard of Notre Dame Fighting Irish is killing Depaul Blue Demons with 39 points today, but Mercedes Russell will never allow that.

Russell is NOT averaging a double-double. Russell averaging 11 shots per game has not resulted in a loss...yet. We do need her to shoot more. I don’t think the solution is to FORCE the ball inside while other players stand around like a game of water polo. I was just watching MSST today and McCowan gets easy touches via drive and dish. I’m just trying to think of ways for Russell to get more touches because she’s the best shooter on the team. And tbh we aren’t taking full advantage of it...yet.

Last edited:
Have we played a team yet where merecedes hasn't gotten up and down the court faster than their 5? Do we play one that does this year? She is hardly the loafer many make her out to be and has been solid on defense all year. No one over 6ft4 can keep up with our guards and forwards. She is doubled by every team which limits her rebounding on offense too. She will be more of a focus when someone can slow us down, that hasn't happened yet.when she plays over 30 minutes i believe she has had a double double in every game.

Exactly. Unbelievable.

Reactions: 7 people
so, last season, a major complaint was that the team forced the ball into mr, even she was double teamed. This season, the lvs have much better offensive flow, are scoring more points, and mr is still averaging a double-double.

+1000000000000000000000000000000

Reactions: 7 people

Yes, forcing the ball into MR was the major reason why we lost so many games last season. We have the athletes who can exploit the opponents' weakness.

Yes, forcing the ball into MR was the major reason why we lost so many games last season. We have the athletes who can exploit the opponents' weakness.

The major reason we lost last year was because of poor guard play and minimal effort. Getting your highest percentage shooter the ball is never a bad thing, nor does it lead you to losing games.

The only difference between this year and in previous years is our guard play is so much better, now we have guards that we are confident that can get the ball inside. I would like to see this team dominate the paint points every game, that's easy money.

Getting the ball into Mercedes, also means getting the ball inside which should be the goal of any guard, we want the highest percentage shot, the best shot, inside out bball is 99% of most bball coaches' philsophy.

Sometimes, Mercedes is open and she's not getting the ball and I think she should be featured in our offense, she is the best center in the game. She needs to be engaged on both sides of the ball, she should touch the ball 80% of most offensive trips, since she is getting double and triple team, those are open looks for our guards and wings to attack the basket.

We are so much better than last year but that still is an area of improvement.

These guards are capable of getting Mercedes more touches and make sure the lady vols dominate the paint Point battle each game.

Live by the 3. Die by the 3.

We want the best shot.

I back Pat and roll with Holly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The only difference between this year and in previous years is our guard play is so much better, now we have guards that we are confident that can get the ball inside. I would like to see this team dominate the paint points every game, that's easy money.

Getting the ball into Mercedes, also means getting the ball inside which should be the goal of any guard, we want the highest percentage shot, the best shot, inside out bball is 99% of most bball coaches' philsophy.

Sometimes, Mercedes is open and she's not getting the ball and I think she should be featured in our offense, she is the best center in the game. She needs to be engaged on both sides of the ball, she should touch the ball 80% of most offensive trips, since she is getting double and triple team, those are open looks for our guards and wings to attack the basket.

We are so much better than last year but that still is an area of improvement.

These guards are capable of getting Mercedes more touches and make sure the lady vols dominate the paint Point battle each game.

Live by the 3. Die by the 3.

We want the best shot.

I back Pat and roll with Holly.

That back Pat and roll with Holly is kinda negitive. I back our team and our leader. I am pretty sure Pat, and our current players, would agree.

Last edited:
Wuteva. Please take yo drama and aim it at someone else. Your reaching.

6 touches for Mercedes is not going to get it done.

I back Pat, and roll with Holly.

Wuteva. Please take yo drama and aim it at someone else. Your reaching.

6 touches for Mercedes is not going to get it done.

I back Pat, and roll with Holly.

She took TEN shots!!! Ten used to be a larger number than six???

VN Store

Back