Could History Repeat Itself?

mlindsay

I know it is too soon, and I am not jumping to conclusions but wouldn't it be wonderful if history was on our side?

Our last Final Fours and Championships (over the past 30 seasons) have come with the years ending in 7 or 8.

87 (Final Four and Champion)
88 (Final Four)
97 (Final Four and Champion)
98 (Final Four and Champion)
07 (Final Four and Champion)
08 (Final Four and Champion)

Could 2018 mean a return to the Final Four and bring our 9th title?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I know it is too soon, and I am not jumping to conclusion but wouldn't it be wonderful if history was on our side?

Our last Final Fours and Championships (over the past 30 seasons) have come with the years ending in 7 or 8.

88 (Final Four)

I sure like it....

Reactions: 2 people
Lady Vols had some kind of get together with the ladies from 87/97/07. Watched some of the Texas game. They don't look so out of control when running the court as they have in years past. Defense looking pretty good. Be great to make the Finals.

Reactions: 1 person
I know it is too soon, and I am not jumping to conclusions but wouldn't it be wonderful if history was on our side?

88 (Final Four)

Do you realize that Holly is the coach? She is the one who was clueless last season after games. "I, I, I, just don't know! I don 't have any answers. I thought we practiced well."

She played DeShields out of position. etc. etc.

As long as she is the head coach, we will underachieve.
Might make the Sweet 16, with our talent, but coaching will cause us to lose in tourney.....

Reactions: 3 people
Do you realize that Holly is the coach? She is the one who was clueless last season after games. "I, I, I, just don't know! I don 't have any answers. I thought we practiced well."

Might make the Sweet 16, with our talent, but coaching will cause us to lose in tourney.....

Man just stick to the football forum PLEASE!

Reactions: 9 people

I disagree, this team under Holly will go a long way.

Reactions: 7 people

From the looks of things Diamond played when, where, and how she wanted to play last season.

Holly seems to be able to "coach" now without being questioned or second guessed!

I'm not going to badmouth Diamond. She graduated from UT, and gave her blood, sweat, and tears for three years. It didn't work out as many of us, and probably she, had hoped for, but it's all water under the bridge. She has moved on to a professional career.

The team is happy where they are now, as is the coaching staff. That isn't a dig at Diamond. It's just the fact. Diamond is also happy where she is now.

Reactions: 9 people

If we lose in the NCAA finals, I'm sure you will say she "underachieved". :ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm:

I'd love nothing more!

But for that to happen, our team is going to have to start learning how to continue the high scoring through well-designed offensive schemes instead of relying too much on trading off which player takes it to the opponent one-on-one.

The Lady Vols have had tremendous success scoring so far with a "kinda-sorta-just wing it"-looking offense, but as the year goes on and all the surprises our new players have flummoxed opponents with so far are scouted and planned for, the scoring may decrease.

IMO, there has GOT to be less standing and then gunning and more "design" to our offense if we want to reach the Final Four.

Tennessee surprised Texas with the attitude and hustle our newbies can bring, but it's safe to say that future strong opponents will point to that game and say, "You don't want to be like Texas, do you? HUSTLE!"

From the looks of things Diamond played when, where, and how she wanted to play last season.

Holly seems to be able to "coach" now without being questioned or second guessed!

CHW showed a lot of class when she shouldered the blame and said "I don't know what happened" instead of saying "There's a prima donna on the team who doesn't listen, won't follow the game plan, and is disruptive to team play."

Reactions: 6 people
I'm not going to badmouth Diamond. She graduated from UT, and gave her blood, sweat, and tears for three years. It didn't work out as many of us, and probably she, had hoped for, but it's all water under the bridge. She has moved on to a professional career.

The team is happy where they are now, as is the coaching staff. That isn't a dig at Diamond. It's just the fact. Diamond is also happy where she is now.

Amen!

I don't understand why folks continue to badmouth Diamond, a Tennessee graduate, either. It's not a good look on our fanship. :ermm:

88 (Final Four)

Final Four? Possibly. Title? No way to know that. Much less predict it. Athletic teams with individual talent and ability always seem to outperform early in the season. Playing a bit of pick up, after a fashion, but also just playing looser overall. Lord knows Tennessee has talent to spare right now, especially in the backcourt and the wings. As seasons wear on, though, teams that lose early in the year but learn to play together as a unit, learn how to trust each other with on defense and offense, those teams make up ground and sometimes move ahead. Those less capable teams may not have been as flashy early in, but their practice and preparation make them more consistent later on.

That's not to say Tennessee can't grow as well. It's more to say that I would not place much stock in this early streak, in terms of late season predictions. That's a lot of talent on the court for Tennessee. They're going to win some games in spite of themselves early, and going to have to learn to be more disciplined and more ruthless to win the ones at the end.

Congrats on 1000 posts. I think it is great that everyone is happy. The world (and this forum) is a much better place because of it.

I'm waiting on those 3's that Davis is launching to start falling. If they do, and she gets comfortable and confident.....woah Daddy!

Amen!

I don't understand why folks continue to badmouth Diamond, a Tennessee graduate, either. It's not a good look on our fanship. :ermm:
You might sub Holly into that question for Diamond. Holly has 3 sec titles in 5 seasons. Diamond made a commitment to us and then backed out. She appeared to never consistantly play with commitment either, maybe that is the reason she left such a sour taste in our minds.

Last edited:

Post of the year! Thank you!

If the lady vols cut down on turnovers, and continue to improve, I see a final for possibility. If Holly continues to trust them to play through their mistakes like she has so far, I see a final four possibility. I think Evina is the key to a final four run.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on those 3's that Davis is launching to start falling. If they do, and she gets comfortable and confident.....woah Daddy!

That will be a big X factor. She has nice looking jump shot so I expect that the shots will start to fall at some point this season.

The reality is that this team will likely need more 3 pt shooting to get to the final four.

hm, maybe, but I like Davis going to the basket. She should model her game off of Jamie's, who I think is our best player.

VN Store

Back