Karen Aston's comments

Undercovervol

Quote: "Well, first of all, anytime you get beat, you have to look in the mirror sometimes and think about what you could've done better. But, sometimes, you have to give credit to the other team, and I thought Tennessee looked like a hungry team today, a team that wanted to win this game really bad on their home court. We'd won the last four games, and we ran into a team that was very anxious to get a win today. Credit to them, and congratulations for their effort today. I thought our team was a little uncharacteristic today."
I thought this was very telling of the game last night, and a great compliment from a good coach. When was the last time our team as a whole looked as "hungry" as we did last night? Some are bashing the quality of play last night, but at the end of the day, we pulled out the win against a team with a lot of talent and hard nosed coaching. Westbrook and Hayes were attacking, Nared was fearless, and Mercedes was a strong anchor in the post (she was the best front court player on the floor). Green came up with some huge plays, and we stopped their back court, at least in the first half. Davis had some key rebounds and finishes around the basket. She needs to be more aggressive, though, and not settle for the three point shot so much.
Obviously, we have to work on the turnovers. Some were jitters, some were ill advised, and some were just trying to make a good pass. At the end of the day, I'll take aggressiveness over passivity any day. We also have to be more consistent with the three point shot. Jaime usually hits some of the shots she missed last night. Hopefully she'll be in the running for SEC player of the year, though I guess Wilson will almost definitely win it in her senior year.
Overall, very happy with the win, and I hope we're undefeated when we meet USC. We can beat them as well.

Reactions: 9 people
First game I've gone to this year, they really gave the best effort I've seen since Holly took over. Some quick shot mistakes, but effort and heart were there to beat a really good and physical Texas team. This team could go far imo.

Reactions: 1 person
First game I've gone to this year, they really gave the best effort I've seen since Holly took over. Some quick shot mistakes, but effort and heart were there to beat a really good and physical Texas team. This team could go far imo.

They actually looked kind of like a RB coached team.

I was not really impressed with what she said in the huddle. No tactical points, just some unmotivation coach speak.

Maybe they cut the more tactical message out of the clip.

How can you even make a judgement from a few sound bites?

Did you even read my last sentence?

Fyi, I'm reserving judgment on her as a coach based on insufficient information. I don't know enough about her. Is that clear enough?

My only point is that my message to my theoretical team in that situation would have been different.

I was not really impressed with what she said in the huddle. No tactical points, just some unmotivation coach speak.

Maybe they cut the more tactical message out of the clip.

The "wired" portion shown is always the "fluff" comments from the huddle. They cut the tactical and strategy portions out. It's the case for all games and media outlets across the board, not just Tenn.

Reactions: 4 people
you do realize people the tv will not show plays the coach talk about or running plays its not allowed most of it all will be motivation

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for confirming what gets cut out. I'm fairly sure I've heard some strategy aired ("they're doing X, so we need to do Y, etc") but it may have been the pro games I've watched.

It is allowed...hence the trainers holding up towels blocking the cameras in games. It just doesnt make for good television to see towels held up and mics muted by hands. A coach knows they are wired and will buffle audio on plays they will be running. You can bet one of the assistants game job is to remind them every time out they are live and micked

Last edited:

VN Store

Back