Game Thread Lady Vols vs Texas

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
Reactions: 2 people
We must limit the turnovers and rebound well. Also, give KK some minutes to keep Russell fresh.

I am about to watch a recorded TX'GA game.
Scout em out a bit.
Getting close to "perfect storm" time.

Gonna whip TX by 15 :3cheers:

I am about to watch a recorded TX'GA game.
Scout em out a bit.
Getting close to "perfect storm" time.

Gonna whip TX by 15 :3cheers:

Most of the country would be in shock if The Lady Vols beat Texas by 15. For that to happen Nared and Russell will have to have a monster game. Russell seems to show up in big games. I do think that in Davis we have the best freshman between the two teams. I believe Davis is capable of having a good game on the boards and scoring. Westbrook, Jackson and Hayes will also need to make major contributions. The bench will need to have a good game, especially on defense. The bigs must be aggressive on the boards. We also must cut our turnovers.

I believe we have the talent to hold our own. I really believe that Tennessee has a better chance against Texas this year than they did last year. We seem to be making better shot selections. Playing at TBA before our fans should also help us as well.

Last edited:
I don't think a 10 - 20 point win is questionable or a sure thing but do believe this team is capable of winning convincingly if they continue to play as a team.

Reactions: 1 person
Report back on your scouting findings.

Very briefly:

Matchups:

Russell (Dunbar)v #40 White
Nared (Green) v #31 Caron-Goudreau
Westbrook(Jackson) v #23 Atkins
Davis (Jackson) v #10 Higgs
Jackson(Hayes) v #11 McCarty

If we use KK or Harris it has to be for zone, TX Footspeed will kill them.

TX- Susceptible to dribble drives and penetrate and dishes

TX runs the exact game troy does, just better at it and more efficient. (We have already proven we can win a game of this type)

Matchup the best defender for Atkins, not based on speed or skill, but how they handle lefties

TX gave up many very easy looks to GA, GA just missed them...Simple putbacks, short jumpers. etc...Once GA saw the tail-lights go by, they forgot they had an accelerator and gave up.

If we dictate the matchups instead of countering them, we can run away with this one.

Both UT and TX gets out to good starts.. Neither team has been dealt a crushing opening blow yet, so it will be important for us to respond if that happens.

Finally: Just pretend they're Troy and bury them!

Last edited:
Here's hoping the Lady Vols take down the Lady Longhorns on Sunday! Go Lady Vols!👍

There will be five basketball players named Hayes at Sunday's game. Yes, FIVE!
This includes Annie Hayes, her three younger sisters, plus Madison Hayes (unrelated), a guard from Ooltewah, TN. I pity the poor stadium and broadcast announcers three years from now. LOL

This includes Annie Hayes, her three younger sisters, plus Madison Hayes (unrelated), a guard from Ooltewah, TN. I pity the poor stadium and broadcast announcers three years from now. LOL

Madison Hayes (unrelated), a guard from Ooltewah, TN. played with the Hamilton Heights, Christian Academy team this summer in AAU Basketball. They were ranked No. 1 in the country in AAU.
Ooltewah, TN is part of Chattanooga TN.

We'll see how the freshmen play in what should be a very close game. We also have to hope that Nared will play under control and not get frustrated if her shots are not falling. I feel confident we can win and definitely think this comes down to the last couple minutes.

I don't expect our rotation to be over 8 players and look for Holly to ask 30 plus minutes out of Nared and Russell. I also expect to see Davis over thirty if she is not in foul trouble her offensive and defensive rebounding are to valuable not to be on the floor.

Here are some stats: Tennessee 50 percent from the field, Texas 50 percent from the field, Tennessee 34 percent from the three, Texas 39 percent from the three.
Tennessee 50 rebounds per game, Texas 47 rebounds per game.
Tennessee 69 percent free throw, Texas 65.
Tennessee 18.6 assists and 16 turnovers per game. Texas 21 assists and 15 turnovers.

Tennessee 89.44 ppg, Texas 93 ppg.

This game probably comes down to whose guards play the best defense. How will we match up. Probably a lot of Hayes on McCarty and Westbrooks and Jackson on Atkins.

This game looks dead even hopefully we play a great game.

Most think this will be a close and hard fought game. I think it has the potential to be a defining game for the rest of the season. It would not surprise me to see a score of 113-84 or something similar but with the pressure of national attention, the score will probably be 20-30 points less.

Tennessee has a huge advantage in the frontcourt with a Holmes-less Texas team. Texas may have the stronger backcourt, but they have no answer for Russell inside. Last year, Lang could shut down most traditional post players 1-on-1, and I don't think White or the twins are as effective.

As long as Tennessee's guards don't get overwhelmed by Texas' experience and depth in the backcourt, I see no reason why Tennessee can't win this game.

Treasure Hunt #10 rated 2020 played with Madison Hayes AAU together. Madison not as highly rated but both about 6’ and both have many offers including offers from UT. Both are Tennessee girls !

I know some on this site don’t care if the recruits are from Tennessee but just saying!!! Families would be close and surely the Lady Vols carries some influence?

Reactions: 3 people
Can't wait for this game. Mercedes is well rested and hopefully ready to put her stamp on the game.

The freshmen must face this challenge with confidence, composure and calculation.

Here's to home court advantage.

Go Lady Vols!

the X factor is how the game will be called. With Texas's depth trading fouls will definitely be an advantage for them.

Can't wait for this game. Mercedes is well rested and hopefully ready to put her stamp on the game.

The freshmen must face this challenge with confidence, composure and calculation.

Here's to home court advantage.

Go Lady Vols!

I think you are spot. This game will be the most challenging test for our Freshman guards. Being at home should help in that they won't have to cope with TX pressure and a hostile crowd. One other factor is how effectively that Jamie and Meme can help with the pressure.

But, this is game where Westbrook and hayes could look more like freshman. And if that happens, it would be a necessary step in their development curve.

anyone know who the former LVs on campus for halftime recognition might be?

Abby Conklin, Mique Holdsclaw, Shelly Collier-Saxton... the article said Kyra Elzy, Nya Butts, and Kelly Harper can’t come because of coaching duties! Which sorta sucks! Elzy and Butts are at U of Miami for a game and Kelly Harper (Jolley) and her lady bears are playing oral Roberts...

VN Store

Back