The Difference Between A’ja Wilson and Russell

teacherdean

A friend and I were discussing the difference between Wilson and Russell. Wilson is quicker, faster, exhibits more leadership skills, has better vision and can anticipate the moves of opposing players, willing to take a team on her back, more aggressive, more physical, tougher, rarely takes time off while on the court and rarely out of position. I think this is some of the reasons Russell is listed as the third post that will be taken in the 2018 WNBA draft behind Wilson and McCowan.

Except for the speed issue, I believe that Russell has untapped abilities. I believe that speed training can improve her speed. Russell has more athleticism than McCowan but not the toughness, however, I would draft Russell over McCowan. In the post Russell is quicker than McCowan and has much better post moves. Russell can at times be aggressive, however, she is inconsistent. She lacks the vision and anticipation of Wilson. I also believe that if Russell was more aggressive and physical, she would be awsome. She seems to play better against better completion but sometimes loses her focus when playing against lesser competition. Because she lacks anticipation, she can be had when dealing with speedy players. A lot of Russell’s issues, although Holly and Dean fans hate to hear this, is coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
She is but I think she can leave early because of her age, I believe it’s 4 years removed from High School or turning 22 by the end of your first WNBA season

OK thanks. Should be interesting to see what she decides to do....I’d love if she turned pro.

Still to this day frustrated we pulled our offer to McCowen. We were her school of choice. Can you imagine if we had Russell and McCowen down low?

Reactions: 3 people
She is but I think she can leave early because of her age, I believe it’s 4 years removed from High School or turning 22 by the end of your first WNBA season

Yes McCowan can leave for the WNBA 2018 Draft because of her age.

Still to this day frustrated we pulled our offer to McCowen. We were her school of choice. Can you imagine if we had Russell and McCowen down low?

agreed why take offer off table for her.to be honest i'd rather have her for her physical play.

Reactions: 1 person
wait till they play head to head. Then we can see who is top dog!

As I mentioned Russell plays well against better competition. I would love to see Russell beat Wilson down, however, she still lacks a lot of the qualities that Wilson exhibits on a consistent basis. I believe that Russell has a lot of abilities because every now and then, she displays them.

You recruiting followers please chime in...I do not remember us pulling an offer from McCowin...i thought she dropped us.

Last edited:
I doubt that at this late date Russell is going to develop any significantly new skills in a Tenn uniform. She just needs to come out and use her current abilities with determination and consistency every game.

Russell continues to improve her game. I believe she will be more aggressive against higher quality teams. Right now, I think it's important that she give up the ball sometimes in order for players like Jackson to improve offensive abilities. I think it's more important that Russell not battle foul trouble and stay in the game, so she may not be able to be as aggressive on defense. Wilson has to be aggressive in order for her team to win. Russell has players like Nared and Davis around her.

You recruiting followers please chime in...I do not remember us pulling an offer from McCowin...i thought she dropped us.

I think it was grades related or something to that effect which lead to a lot of teams backing off and she originally verballed to Cincinnati somehow coach Schefer stepped in and got her accepted to Miss State

I think a lot of teams backed off for academics reasons

Also, many of you vastly underestimate Mercedes' effect on the court when she's in. Our level of play goes down drastically when she comes out. She has a great knowledge of the game and can tell the guards all of their roles in set plays. Her shooting percentage is also very good. I think Mercedes and Nared are tied for best all around player on the team. I'm also kind of scared to think about us when they graduate. Her offensive abilities make her a good prospect for the WNBA.

They are two completely different position players. Tell Aji she is a 5 and she will take her Wilma Flintstone pearls, cry, and leave. What is the agenda of this post? Russell is playing great this season.

Also, many of you vastly underestimate Mercedes' effect on the court when she's in. Our level of play goes down drastically when she comes out. She has a great knowledge of the game and can tell the guards all of their roles in set plays. Her shooting percentage is also very good. I think Mercedes and Nared are tied for best all around player on the team. I'm also kind of scared to think about us when they graduate. Her offensive abilities make her a good prospect for the WNBA.

The same thing about coaching can be said about Russell. If our coaches could develop players maybe she would have been a star for us. As it is, she is playing because of her status coming out of HS not because of her abilities as a senior leader at UT.

They are two completely different position players. Tell Aji she is a 5 and she will take her Wilma Flintstone pearls, cry, and leave. What is the agenda of this post? Russell is playing great this season.

You mean like when she played the five last year after Coates was injured?

Wilson is tough as nails and does what she needs for her team.

The same thing about coaching can be said about Russell. If our coaches could develop players maybe she would have been a star for us. As it is, she is playing because of her status coming out of HS not because of her abilities as a senior leader at UT.

This post is disconnected from reality. She is averaging 18 and 9 on 26 minutes per game. Now, we have mostly been playing lower level comp but that is not her fault.

The real tests are coming soon.

I believe McCowan's school of choice was A&M at one point. I don't remember offering her but I do remember interest from both parties being strong.

If I recall correctly, much like Tori McCoy, McCowan's academics needed to be upped a level. Lady Vol's basketball program has standards academically that are a bit higher than many other P5 teams outside of the Duke and Stanford type schools.

Reactions: 2 people
Wilson and Jennings are a tougher matchup for teams then Wilson and Coates. Just ask Duke how tough it was to guard them today. Jennings can score away from the basket as well as carve out space in the lane like no other. As far as who's the better players then Wilson and Russell I don't really think you can compare them. Wilson is a Forward while Russell is a Center. McCowan would be a better comparison as well as Kalani Brown for who's the better Center.

I think the biggest difference for me between Russell and Wilson is Russell is a true 5, and Wilson is just a versatile post player. The only thing they both have in common their height. This discussion would be the same as comparing Fowles and Parker because they are both tall. Two completely different players.

I think the biggest difference for me between Russell and Wilson is Russell is a true 5, and Wilson is just a versatile post player. The only thing they both have in common their height. This discussion would be the same as comparing Fowles and Parker because they are both tall. Two completely different players.

Russell is a true 5, so she can concentrate on being the best "5". I believe this to be an advantage too

Reactions: 2 people

There is no agenda, by the way A’ja can play the 5. Why does there have to be an agenda? Because someone post a post does not mean they are trying to undermine Russell or trying to be argumentative. Russell has played a lot better the last five games than she played last year. She seems to be hustling a lot more and the last five games she seems to be more aggressive.

VN Store

Back