Lady Vols Basketball - Turnovers

Spook1

Ancient Vol
:rock:For the second game in a row the Lady Vols had 20 turnovers. We had that crap all last year with DeShields. CHW has done nothing to correct turnovers. Sure we won both games, but if we continue turnovers with a good team the LV will be blasted with a huge loss. That might happen with the Texas game. Hayes did not have many turnovers...it was the whole team with 2 or more by multiple players. Pat Summit absolutely would not tolerate that crap.

Last edited:
:rock:For the second game in a row the Lady Vols had 20 turnovers. We had that crap all last year with DeShields. CHW has done nothing to correct turnovers. Sure we won both games, but if we continue turnovers with a good team the LV will be blasted with a huge loss. That might happen with the Texas game. Hayes did not have many turnovers...it was the whole team with 2 or more by multiple players. Pat Summit absolutely would not tolerate that crap.

It can take an entire season for freshmen to get acclimated to the speed of the college game. Give them a pass until next season.

Reactions: 1 person

She has to tolerate it and then address it in practice. Which players and coaches all allude to. We have 3 guards on this team and 2 of the are freshmen that we need to win so benching for emphasis on ball security is not going to happen. At least this team doesn't pout and will play their butts off on the other end after a turnover instead of just shaking their head and looking at teammates in search of someone to blame. Rarely are we turning the ball over because of out of control plays. Many turnovers are coming on bad reads of where a player is going and that will get better the more comfortable they get with each other.

Reactions: 5 people
Agreed too many turnovers but how do you know what Holly is telling the team especially with two freshman point guards? Do you tell them to turn down their agreesiveness? The turnovers are sometimes from being too unselfish when if they would just shoot the ball it wouldn’t be a turnover...but we would also be taking more bad shots... regardless this team found a way to win and it will get better !!!

I have also been concerned about the turnovers. Some are due to freshmen mistakes, but most are due to not valuing possessions. I’ve witnessed a lot of lazy/slow passes that are stolen, as well as passes to Russell when she’s surrounded by defenders.

Ultimately, turnovers are a sign of an undisciplined team. It was my hope that Coach Gordon would bring the discipline our teams have lacked in the past few years.

I’m hoping the ladies can “turn” it around by March.

I have also been concerned about the turnovers. Some are due to freshmen mistakes, but most are due to not valuing possessions. I’ve witnessed a lot of lazy/slow passes that are stolen, as well as passes to Russell when she’s surrounded by defenders.

Ultimately, turnovers are a sign of an undisciplined team. It was my hope that Coach Gordon would bring the discipline our teams have lacked in the past few years.

I’m hoping the ladies can “turn” it around by March.

Mmmm I dunno about that... some of the passes were trying to force it in to Russell instead of passing and moving the ball to get a better passing angle... I counted 2-3 offensive fouls... Jaime said she was lobbying up the ball for Rennia to go get and Rennia misread the play and turned her back to rebound the shot... that comes with time from playing together. Another time a wing flared out for the shot when the passer passed the ball for a backfoor cut. These turnovers occur because of misreading notbthe defense but what the teammates tendencies are... anyways this team is full of conpetitors and win or lose I think they will get better as the season goes along!

Reactions: 2 people

She has to tolerate it and then address it in practice. Which players and coaches all allude to. We have 3 guards on this team and 2 of the are freshmen that we need to win so benching for emphasis on ball security is not going to happen. At least this team doesn't pout and will play their butts off on the other end after a turnover instead of just shaking their head and looking at teammates in search of someone to blame. Rarely are we turning the ball over because of out of control plays. Many turnovers are coming on bad reads of where a player is going and that will get better the more comfortable they get with each other.

I agree that lack of numbers creates a challenge for coaches to sub generously to hold players more accountable. We can see that luxury for Rick Barnes on the men's team.

However, IMO the coaching staff can rotate Jackson, Hayes, and Westbrook more creatively and strategically to strive for more accountability among those players. It's only to the team's advantage to make this more of a priority. Sure, freshmen will outgrow some of the mistakes, but some don't. Can the coaching staff reach a little deeper to help these players find themselves a little earlier?

It doesn't stop there though. Of course, players need to be held accountable for rushed shots, sloppy screens, not boxing out, defensive breakdowns and uncontested shots, etc. In an earlier game I saw, I was convinced that we were running a defense called surrender-and-inbound-the-ball! Watching uncontested layups is disemboweling. From what I saw of 2 of the 3 posts on the bench in the first couple of contests, they could be utilized to help Russell, whether it be spelling her for a break or helping hold her accountable for her uneven effort.

Also, if the coaches can't trust the bench to help contribute and make this team better, use "encouragement strategies" in practices that remind the players of their mistakes. There are other ways of holding them accountable.

nutting like a boat load of Freshmen :)

I do think it will improve with more playing time

"tolerate" what an interesting concept. As well stated above the players need to get use to each other tendencies. A bad shot 1 on 4 is not a "turnover" on a score sheet but it is poor judgment. MeMe. lost her responsibility on the base line and the player wide open scored "turnover" and she acknowledged visually my mistake. A super thread the needle pass from the LV passing guard was not handled and lost out of bounds - a full court pass blind bouncing pass after a steal that Jamie couldn't quite run down. A charge versus a blocking foul is a turnover.

Unforced turnovers - a pass not caught, a walking violation, even when a player brought the ball in bounds as she stepped on the floor are errors to focus on eliminating.

We heard the opposing coach last evening state that what she could not 'tolerate" was lack of effort. Holly did not have that concern with her players.

Reactions: 3 people
Was spook referencing the Central Ark game> the LVs actually had 16 TOs. Nine of them were by our three freshman. And Davis's three TOs, if I recall correctly, were more a case of losing the ball out of bounds going for a rebound.

Again, TOs need to be contextualized. This team plays fast and gets a lot of possessions. 16 TO in a run and gun fast paced game are quite different than 16 TO in slow down, grind it out game. Given the lead, the players took a few risks on long fast paced passes that did not quite connect (though a few others did).

And two or three of their TOs came after the LVs had stolen the ball (i.e. a TO for the sugar bears) but did not execute the fastbreak well--in one case, Westbrook led Nared to far on the pass and it went out of bounds.

Those are not "bad" TOs; of course, it would be better to make the pass and get the points but when a team presses the pace of the game, some miscues will happen; as the players become more accustomed to each other (and know to always be looking for a Westbrook pass), the number of missed passes should decline.

Out of those 16, I would conjecture that only 2 or 3 would have raised the ire of the late great Coach Summitt.

Funny, one post has praised this team for no longer being afraid to take chances and this one lambast them for doing exactly that.

After watching the game last night looks like most of the turnovers are unforced. Seems to me the freshmen are at this time trying to be passers when they should be shooters. I saw at least three times Davis this, a couple with Westbrook and Hayes. Even Me Me had a couple where she should have shot the ball instead. When you within five ten feet of the basket much better to shoot than to pass unless you got a clear lane to a player. Hopefully this is the ultimate area where we can improve in the next few games.

Westbrook make passes that teammates are not ready for. Sometimes they try to pass the ball over the top and misjudge the distance. They also need to realize that passes to Russell have to be higher. Sometimes they do not pay attention while dribbling and get the ball stolen. These are somethings they need to work on in practice. Except for the passes by Westbrook, bad passes have been a trademark of the Lady Vols for the last four years.

The turnovers against Central arkansas a lot of them were with the 3rd and fourth quarter with our best players on the bench def needs to be cleaned up but we look much better than last year around this time

We can definitely accept a few turnovers if were shooting around 50 percent and getting to the line over 20 times per game. Hayes is getting to the line 9 times a game by herself.

I think it's important to note that the majority of our turnovers are deadball turnovers meaning it allows us to get back and set our defense and prevents our opponents from getting transition baskets.

Hayes needs to continue to be aggressive. Her passes are the right kind of effort we need, and her penetration also is the right idea. We should accept some turnovers and charges that come with aggresive play.

Speaking of turnovers look at the first part of the recap clip by the female commentator... I definitely don’t think they meant to add this but HURRY before they fix it... it’s funny! She was NOT playing around 😂 Broadcasting Bloopers 101...

Little tidbit of info... the young lady was a UT LV b-ball manager!

Alabama State vs. Tennessee - Game Summary - December 3, 2017 - ESPN

Last edited:
Well crap that must’ve fixed it by the time I saw this. LOL

They DID😞 the young lady called “cut” and asked to do a retake and start over while rolling her eyes at herself lol... it was classic and she was not feeling it haha

They DID😞 the young lady called “cut” and asked to do a retake and start over while rolling her eyes at herself lol... it was classic and she was not feeling it haha

Haha too funny!!! 🤣

VN Store

Back