Cancun Challenge 11/23-11/25

teacherdean

The ladies should have more challenges playing in this tournament vs. what they will have played.

Marquette 1-1 ranked 16th
OK State. 4-0
South Dakota 3-1

Any of these teams are a step up from the teams we have played. Oklahoma State plays very good ball. They have played a schedule similar to what we have.

South Dakota played a good Iowa State team, losing 81-76. They are one of those teams that can rain 3’s like rain drops. They beat Wichita State 62-48.

Marquette is ranked #16, they did lose to New Mexico 88-87.

Three games in a row should give us some indication of where we are and the strength of our short bench.

Reactions: 1 person
Marquette will be the toughest game, and I'm glad it's the first one.

We are going to be DEAD tired by Friday. Kortney & Kamera better be able to provide some backup minutes.

Reactions: 2 people
Marquette will be the toughest game, and I'm glad it's the first one.

We are going to be DEAD tired by Friday. Kortney & Kamera better be able to provide some backup minutes.

We gotta find some minutes this Witchia State Game for them, but don’t look like that will happen as Kasi hasn’t even got in the game yet

You earn minutes in practice, maybe they didn't play because they didn't practice well. Who knows? Do not reward bad habits, Holly.

This will be a nice challenge for the Freshman, curious to see how they respond, yeah, I'm glad the Marquette game is the first day.

They are back up. They are reserves. Reserves usually plays when the starters are unable to go. Every player must accept their role, they will get minutes, its a long season.

Let's goo Lady Vols.

Last edited:
You earn minutes in practice, maybe they didn't play because they didn't practice well. Who knows? Do not reward bad habits, Holly.

This will be a nice challenge for the Freshman, curious to see how they respond, yeah, I'm glad the Marquette game is the first day.

They are back up. They are reserves. Reserves usually plays when the starters are unable to go. Every player must accept their role, they will get minutes, its a long season.

Let's goo Lady Vols.

Not every poor practice player is a poor game player. Allen Iverson has gone on record to say he despise practice and he's a Hall of Famer.

And you say don't reward bad habits, the pass couple of years Mercedes has been allowed to not box out, not rebound in her area, not contest shots, not get back on defense and yet she remains in the game.

You wont know what a person can provide for you if you don't give them the opportunity to do so.

Many of us have poor working habits and we are still employed. Our bosses don't send us home when we aren't performing our best, they give us the chance to do better.

Reactions: 2 people
I never said every practice players is a gamer. What I'm trying to say is none of us (well maybe a few) knows the reason as to why she didn't play more players, maybe she wanted a group to play together longer to have more game film. Who knows? So don't get all worked up about practice, it could have been a number of things and it usually simple... aye this is the message board. Aye, when Iverson played for John Thompson or the pros? hmmmm wuteva? lol

Wow. The perfect player she will never be and I will take her above any other five in the WCBB game right now!

Can we focus on some of things the team is doing well to begin the season? We know she not a beast. We know. We know. We know.

I think, Mercedes in time will go down as one of the best centers if she stays healthy. Sky is the limit. She still has so many areas to improve in.

Go Mercedes. Keep working. Not all player become "elite" players in college, but she does have elite potential.

Cancun challenge should be a nice test for the young team. I am excited.

Last edited:
I never said every practice players is a gamer. What I'm trying to say is none of us (well maybe a few) knows the reason as to why she didn't play more players, maybe she wanted a group to play together longer to have more game film. Who knows? So don't get all worked up about practice, it could have been a number of things and it usually simple... aye this is the message board. Aye, when Iverson played for John Thompson or the pros? hmmmm wuteva? lol

Wow. The perfect player she will never be and I will take her above any other five in the WCBB game right now!

Can we focus on some of things the team is doing well to begin the season? We know she not a beast. We know. We know. We know.

I think, Mercedes in time will go down as one of the best centers if she stays healthy. Sky is the limit. She still has so many areas to improve in.

Go Mercedes. Keep working. Not all player become "elite" players in college, but she does have elite potential.

At this point, unless Russell has an epiphany, she will not go down as one of the greatest posts in the women’s college game. There are just too many things she either does not know how to do or she is allowed not to do. The times when she hustles you see her potential. I believe once she receives good coaching, which includes demands for excellence, at the pro level that she will be significantly better or her stay in the pros will be short.

You would take Mercedes over Wilson ?

Actually, Wilson is considered a forward but I would take Russell over let's say Coates.

At this point, unless Russell has an epiphany, she will not go down as one of the greatest posts in the women’s college game. There are just too many things she either does not know how to do or she is allowed not to do. The times when she hustles you see her potential. I believe once she receives good coaching, which includes demands for excellence, at the pro level that she will be significantly better or her stay in the pros will be short.

Would you take Sylvia Fowles now or the Sylvia Fowles in college? Okayyyy..

Cancun challenge... three games back to back to back... 2-1 would be nice, 3-0 would be very nice.

I think were a seven point favorite over Marquette and about 10 over the other two. Oklahoma State beat Wichita State by 24 so if we go in missing layups and free throws that will be a tough one to win.
I think all three games will be tough freshmen on the road is always a challenge.

Time for them to focus on the task at hand. I think they were not focused on Monday with this big trip looming but that is out of the way now.

Would you take Sylvia Fowles now or the Sylvia Fowles in college? Okayyyy..

Cancun challenge... three games back to back to back... 2-1 would be nice, 3-0 would be very nice.[/QUOTE

I would take the Fowles of today, who wouldn’t, she plays the post position in the same manner as the men. She has learned to dominate on a consistent basis and she is a scorer. However, when Fowles was in college I never saw her take time off while other members of the team were trying to rebound. She had no problem blocking out. She was not scared to commit a foul. Russell has the ability to be a lot more dominant than she is, because when she decides to own the paint, she is almost unstoppable.

Last edited:
When we play USC, who will be guarding Russell ?

I could see Dawn switching up the defenses with Man or Zone. We are not usually a zone team but I could see us switching up what we normally do. When we are in a man defense Jennings will probably guard Russell as well as Aja taking turns on her.

VN Store

Back