Lady Vol Softball inks #2 class

Anyone know who overtook Tennessee for the top spot? Last December Brentt Eads published an article for FloSoftball that had us at 1st.

Reactions: 1 person
5a04842ae4fbc.png

Signing Day Spotlight: Ally Shipman - FloSoftball

Reactions: 2 people
Also, we are ranked # 1 for the 2019 recruiting class. They've got 9 players committed, iirc.

Last edited:
Wow: I knew we'd lost one of our '18 commits but couldn't think who it was. Turns out to be Caymol, who is supposed to be an outstanding pitcher--another six-footer. I'm speculating, but I wonder if playing time was the reason for her switch. We've got three youngish pitchers already--one junior, one soph and a freshman, plus another well-regarded pitcher in the group we just signed, so Caymol may have figured to get playing time earlier at Clemson. Her loss dropped us out of the top spot. We also lost a good shortstop out of California--but we had two shortstop commits from the same SoCal league and that wasn't likely to work out.

Wow: I knew we'd lost one of our '18 commits but couldn't think who it was. Turns out to be Caymol, who is supposed to be an outstanding pitcher--another six-footer. I'm speculating, but I wonder if playing time was the reason for her switch. We've got three youngish pitchers already--one junior, one soph and a freshman, plus another well-regarded pitcher in the group we just signed, so Caymol may have figured to get playing time earlier at Clemson. Her loss dropped us out of the top spot. We also lost a good shortstop out of California--but we had two shortstop commits from the same SoCal league and that wasn't likely to work out.

She won't get playing time at Clemson earlier that at UT. At UT she would have seen the field as a freshman in 2019. Clemson won't even have a team until 2020.

Two things to consider:
1. She said Clemson was her dream school her whole life, but didn't have softball. Clemson hired Rittman just in the past week or so - great hire. Proven winner. A lot of players and families were waiting to see who Clemson hired. Stanford is kicking themselves for running him off and they have been probably one of the worst P5 teams since, especially after all the talk turned out to be basically nothing. Two more big showcases left this month, then winter camp season starts and I think you'll see quite a few top 100 players in the 2019, 2020 classes verbal to Clemson, and many of those will be players already verballed to major programs. The Rittman hire was what a lot of people were waiting for.
2. Their first season will be 2020 and she will be one of the players the team builds around. That would make anyone feel good. Guessing 2019 will be a red shirt year for her. Chance to acclimate to school, hit the weight room.

She won't get playing time at Clemson earlier that at UT. At UT she would have seen the field as a freshman in 2019. Clemson won't even have a team until 2020.

Two things to consider:
1. She said Clemson was her dream school her whole life, but didn't have softball. Clemson hired Rittman just in the past week or so - great hire. Proven winner. A lot of players and families were waiting to see who Clemson hired. Stanford is kicking themselves for running him off and they have been probably one of the worst P5 teams since, especially after all the talk turned out to be basically nothing. Two more big showcases left this month, then winter camp season starts and I think you'll see quite a few top 100 players in the 2019, 2020 classes verbal to Clemson, and many of those will be players already verballed to major programs. The Rittman hire was what a lot of people were waiting for.
2. Their first season will be 2020 and she will be one of the players the team builds around. That would make anyone feel good. Guessing 2019 will be a red shirt year for her. Chance to acclimate to school, hit the weight room.

thanks. It's rather odd that her "dream school" would be one that hasn't even had softball program. Why would a lot of top players and families wait to see who Clemson hired when they are /bunches/ of top programs already? Maybe it is true--but it doesn't make much sense. Stanford is probably not kicking themselves for running off Rittman, about whom I admittedly know nothing, but rather for picking the wrong coach to replace him. There's a difference.

thanks. It's rather odd that her "dream school" would be one that hasn't even had softball program. Why would a lot of top players and families wait to see who Clemson hired when they are /bunches/ of top programs already? Maybe it is true--but it doesn't make much sense. Stanford is probably not kicking themselves for running off Rittman, about whom I admittedly know nothing, but rather for picking the wrong coach to replace him. There's a difference.

Maga

Brooke Vines was heading to play for Rittman until he got canned....The guy is good....Bama and UT won't be able to go into South Carolina for recruits now without a battle with Rittman....Stanford will be back on track with the new coach they hired from Minnesota this past off season

I think it's the 2018 class the OP was referring to

Yes, I edited the post. I mistakenly referred to the 2018 class as 2017 because they just signed. Thanks, Larj.

My point was that next year's recruiting class is as good or better than this one (recently signed).

Good news!

Last edited:
Brooke Vines was heading to play for Rittman until he got canned....The guy is good....Bama and UT won't be able to go into South Carolina for recruits now without a battle with Rittman....Stanford will be back on track with the new coach they hired from Minnesota this past off season

Is South Carolina a recruiting hot bed? I would be more concerned that our California recruiting would be affected.

Her grandfather played football there. I think the family was raised Tiger fans.

People were waiting to see if Clemson hired some up and coming unproven assistant from somewhere or who maybe coached at a small school (like Duke did), or a proven P5 coach. It makes perfect sense especially if you are a parent of a kid looking at their options right now, and a travel ball coach advising them. In the softball world, Clemson hired the football equivalent of Bob Stoops or Les Miles or something like that - everyone in the game knows who they are, what they have done and doesn't need to Google their name.

Not to throw down on Duke's hire (Marissa Young), but in the softball world she's unproven. Plus the admission standards are already tough enough at Duke, plus she has to convince them to come play for a new coach at a new program. IMO, Duke missed out on Rittman as someone who can win with tough admission standards (Stanford). It's not easy to win at schools like that.

At the end of the day, Clemson's program is going to battle for recruits from the GA/TN//AL/FL/SC area that has become very fertile recruiting ground in the past 5+ years or so for the SEC. I give Rittman two years before he qualifies for the NCAA tourney, and 4 years before he wins a Super Regional.

Her grandfather played football there. I think the family was raised Tiger fans.

People were waiting to see if Clemson hired some up and coming unproven assistant from somewhere or who maybe coached at a small school (like Duke did), or a proven P5 coach. It makes perfect sense especially if you are a parent of a kid looking at their options right now, and a travel ball coach advising them. In the softball world, Clemson hired the football equivalent of Bob Stoops or Les Miles or something like that - everyone in the game knows who they are, what they have done and doesn't need to Google their name.

Not to throw down on Duke's hire (Marissa Young), but in the softball world she's unproven. Plus the admission standards are already tough enough at Duke, plus she has to convince them to come play for a new coach at a new program. IMO, Duke missed out on Rittman as someone who can win with tough admission standards (Stanford). It's not easy to win at schools like that.

At the end of the day, Clemson's program is going to battle for recruits from the GA/TN//AL/FL/SC area that has become very fertile recruiting ground in the past 5+ years or so for the SEC. I give Rittman two years before he qualifies for the NCAA tourney, and 4 years before he wins a Super Regional.

...but academic excellence has become very much a recruiting asset for Stanford, Duke, Vandy and even top state schools like UVA. Tough academic schools over the years have given a few admission chits to their coaches annually--granted admission to a few athletes, whom the coaches really want, if they are good/solid students but otherwise wouldn't have gained admission under normal circumstances. I don't know if Stanford or Duke do that now--but I strongly suspect that they do. And good students (athletes) certainly know the value of the education at those schools. This is why the Stanford women win the women's all-sports title most years. (Or maybe it is because they offer so many sports. Stanford has--get this--19 women's sports, which I think is 9 or 10 more than we do, including sailing, fencing, lacrosse, water polo and more!

Is South Carolina a recruiting hot bed? I would be more concerned that our California recruiting would be affected.

The state produces some good pitching prospects from the past few years....Leslie Jury-Bama, Carley Hoover( Who committed to Rittman at Stanford) plays for LSU, Matty Moss are a few off the top of my head....California will not be touched too much talent for everyone in that state a la Florida for high school football

UT goes after very few players in South Carolina. Has signed a total of 1 player since inception

It will make recruiting Georgia harder

The 2019 recruiting class is ranked #1 with 9 members in that class all have been ranked

Last edited:

VN Store

Back