Game Thread Lady Vols vs East Tennessee State

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
Reactions: 8 people
governmentmule Thanks for all the info, I can't remember being so excited for this year to begin.

Reactions: 3 people
Me either!

If you aren’t excited after last night I don’t know if you have blood running through your veins. I am a little cautious about being over excited, because we will be starting a freshman at point and there will be some growing pains with our freshman class. Russell is still not as aggressive as she needs to be. Several times I noticed her watching as others were trying to rebound the ball. Carson-Newman should have never controlled the boards. She can’t play in fear of fouling. She has to be our goal protector. She could be the best post in the SEC and possibly women’s college basketball. She has shown that she has the athleticism. She just needs to be consistent and aggressive on both ends of the court.

If you aren’t excited after last night I don’t know if you have blood running through your veins. I am a little cautious about being over excited, because we will be starting a freshman at point and there will be some growing pains with our freshman class. Russell is still not as aggressive as she needs to be. Several times I noticed her watching as others were trying to rebound the ball. Carson-Newman should have never controlled the boards. She can’t play in fear of fouling. She has to be our goal protector. She could be the best post in the SEC and possibly women’s college basketball. She has shown that she has the athleticism. She just needs to be consistent and aggressive on both ends of the court.

Everyone is excited for a new season to begin but do you really think, deep down inside, that it is going to be different this year? If you do, why? You talk about starting a freshman at point, and there is nothing wrong with that, if she is the best you have. Do you feel confident that CHW will mentor her to be the best she can be? You then talk about a senior who could be the best player in the country at her position. Why would you think that, after all this time and she hasn't come close to reaching her potential. I love the LV's but dang, the results are going to be the same old disappointment I'm afraid. I know I should just keep it to myself because everyone wants to believe that this year is going to be different. We were fortunate to bring in a great new class, thanks to Coach Law, who is now at SCe. It won't be different though because the leader is still the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think that with the cancers on this team that have departed is going to make Holly look better. I am not a big HW fan but the whole team looked relaxed last night and seemed to be having fun playing. MR has got to get her butt in gear and be meaner. She said she had a whole new outlook on life but I did not see near enough of it last night. She should dominate the inside. I think KK and Green will push her more than most of us expected and she will set more. I still do not see MeMe playing a whole lot more than in the past but she will start early in the year I believe. The freshmen showed energy for the first 3 quarters and kind of did like expected run a little out of gas in the 4th. They are going to be special but team defense should pick up as the season goes along. If HW will just put them in a roll the ball out there they will win most of the time regardless of who the coach is. JMHO

Everyone is excited for a new season to begin but do you really think, deep down inside, that it is going to be different this year? If you do, why?

well it is a new year :) a crap load of new players,a new coach,another Tn tuff one

here is to hoping they stay healthy,that has been a major problem over the years,hmmm who is the S&C coach ?

that and I will all ways root for the Lady Vols :clapping:

good enough for you ?

Reactions: 4 people
well it is a new year :) a crap load of new players,a new coach,another Tn tuff one

here is to hoping they stay healthy,that has been a major problem over the years,hmmm who is the S&C coach ?

that and I will all ways root for the Lady Vols :clapping:

good enough for you ?

I sincerely hope that your optimism is still the same about halfway through the season. I will always root for the LVs also.

Reactions: 1 person
I think that with the cancers on this team that have departed is going to make Holly look better. I am not a big HW fan but the whole team looked relaxed last night and seemed to be having fun playing. MR has got to get her butt in gear and be meaner. She said she had a whole new outlook on life but I did not see near enough of it last night. She should dominate the inside. I think KK and Green will push her more than most of us expected and she will set more. I still do not see MeMe playing a whole lot more than in the past but she will start early in the year I believe. The freshmen showed energy for the first 3 quarters and kind of did like expected run a little out of gas in the 4th. They are going to be special but team defense should pick up as the season goes along. If HW will just put them in a roll the ball out there they will win most of the time regardless of who the coach is. JMHO

I think we did that last year...The results of letting a team run itself is evident in it's performances and accomplishments. You get erratic play and break the wrong records. A team needs direction and vision. It has to start with the Coach...That's why they make the big bucks...They take elite players and make elite teams.

I was agreeing with LadyVol777

thanks GM...so, are these girls coachable...Holly?...you so lucky...:)

PS. there's so much talent on the team that even GM could coach them...heck, even I could assist...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

Everyone is excited and optimistic this time of year even the most critical of Holly.After 30 years of following the Lady Vols most closely and after the last two years in particular ,I will reserve some of my optimism until about Feb 1 just to see how things evolve.

I think we did that last year...The results of letting a team run itself is evident in it's performances and accomplishments. You get erratic play and break the wrong records. A team needs direction and vision. It has to start with the Coach...That's why they make the big bucks...They take elite players and make elite teams.

I did not see a team running itself last year myself. I saw a team with that could be told anything and then the attitude of some caused them to do the opposite of what they were told. That team for the last couple of years would not have taken direction from anyone. Big bucks had nothing to do with that team. As I said I am not a big HW fan but this team will be as good or better than those the last 2 years if MR will help or get out of the way. JMHO as always.:thud:

My wife and I have tickets in section 106, row 15 for Sunday's game. Would it be helpful to have binoculars(if allowed) or is this close enough without them.

Excited to see the ladies play and hope 'London' and Harris are able to see action.

We do know the seniors we not going to try to be as dominate right they wanted the freshman to get shots and get comfortable.

I like how we move with out the ball , My reason why we will be better . We are way more competitive , We move the ball , we move without the ball. Once they learn to run the offense more they will be fine.

My wife and I have tickets in section 106, row 15 for Sunday's game. Would it be helpful to have binoculars(if allowed) or is this close enough without them.

Excited to see the ladies play and hope 'London' and Harris are able to see action.

No binoculars needed, there are very few bad seats in the arena.

As I said I am not a big HW fan but this team will be as good or better than those the last 2 years if MR will help or get out of the way. JMHO as always.:thud:

As promising as the freshmen looked in the exhibition, i'm firmly in the camp that Tennessee will be as good as Mercedes allows them to be. If they need her to "get out of the way" because she is not being a difference maker for the better, they will not be a very good team.

Reactions: 4 people
As promising as the freshmen looked in the exhibition, i'm firmly in the camp that Tennessee will be as good as Mercedes allows them to be. If they need her to "get out of the way" because she is not being a difference maker for the better, they will not be a very good team.

I agree but I also think that Green and KK will put the pressure on her. I just hope Holly is willing to do what Coach Summitt (and other great coaches) would do and that is bench the player that isn't given what they are capable of given.

In years Past (the Past two seasons) there hasn't been anyone to replace her and Mercedes knew that. Now I feel confident in what KK and Green can do at the 5 spot if Russell isn't bringing it, Let her watch! We need her to be an advantage not a liability.

She has the ability to be a game changer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I agree but I also think that Green and KK will put the pressure on her. I just hope Holly is willing to do what Coach Summitt (and other great coaches) would do and bench the player that aren't given what are capable of given.

In years Past (the Past two seasons) there hasn't been someone to replace her and Mercedes knew that. Now I feel confident in what KK and Green can do at the 5 spot if Russell isn't bringing it, Let her watch! We need her to be an advantage not a liability.

In the past two seasons she has nearly averaged a double double...think about what you are suggesting..."Pound the ball into the paint, feed MR"... we did that last year and what was the result?

We didn't force the ball into MR this past week and the results was 121 points.

There will be certain times it will be to our advantage to feature MR and there will be times when we feature other players as a game plan.

But for now, I am perfectly fine with the results of this past effort.

Reactions: 5 people
I agree but I also think that Green and KK will put the pressure on her. I just hope Holly is willing to do what Coach Summitt (and other great coaches) would do and bench the player that aren't given what are capable of given.

In years Past (the Past two seasons) there hasn't been someone to replace her and Mercedes knew that. Now I feel confident in what KK and Green can do at the 5 spot if Russell isn't bringing it, Let her watch! We need her to be an advantage not a liability.

Even if KK or Green are on the bench ready to spell Mercedes, there will be a drop off...much as was the case last year against Nunn. They may be effective against a 6'0 center from Carson Newman, but it will be a different story when its A'ja Wilson or Teiara McCowan on the block with them.

Tennessee needs Russell to have at least an All-SEC caliber year. Green or KK will not be able to create the same mismatches on the court that Russell can.

Don’t see need for binoculars unless you really want to get “up close and personal”. We are in row 14 and even TO, an inveterate “binoculeer”, doesn’t take them😄. But, like everything, matter of personal preference. If you take them, no case. That is what they told us at the football stadium and same rules are supposed to apply at TBA.

GLV!

I sincerely hope that your optimism is still the same about halfway through the season. I will always root for the LVs also.

it will be a up and down year most likely and my optimism is all ways high :clapping:

and yes I was just giving you a hard time :)

She will be a difference maker and nobody wants or needs her to “get out of the way.” She is our Big Time Big. I can’t wait to see her Sunday. 🧡

VN Store

Back