Holly Has A Great Freshman Class

teacherdean

I know this is Carson Newman, but this freshman class is outstanding. Nard looked like more of a leader. This team looks a lot better than it did at the beginning of last season.

Reactions: 2 people
Amen to that! The one area that stood out to me was the switching defense. Too many easy layups given up. GO LADY VOLS!

I know this is Carson Newman, but this freshman class is outstanding. Nard looked like more of a leader. This team looks a lot better than it did at the beginning of last season.

Preach it, teacherdean, they were the most fun to watch in years! And to think...freshmen and first game! Be still my heart.🔶🔶🔶🔶🔶🔶

Reactions: 3 people
It was a wonderful night... going to be a special year. So, so glad I made the trip to TBA to watch these freshmen in their debuts as Lady Vols! As Smallvol said... be still my heart!!!! 🧡🍊💙🏀

Looks like the freshmen are the real deal... Rennia Davis had a game-high 27 points and 13 rebounds, and the four freshmen combined for 76 points and 30 rebounds. Nared had 22 points.

remember when Kortney and Nia went off with some big numbers in the early games then was never heard from again? Caution before you put Davis in the hall of fame.

Reactions: 3 people
Love me some Rennia Davis, she is special, Anastasia Hayes and Evina Westbrook is going to wow a lot of people, Kasiyahna Kushkituah played well tonight. Enjoy the trip to TBA. The next 4 years look to be in good hands. Go Lady Vol's.

Reactions: 4 people
The mood around here changes like the wind

So true! Some observations:

Do not but KD out front on defense. She will get blown by every time

Do we even run an offense or are we going to wing it like Ohio state?

Defense and rebounding will get better but it better be quick

Love the freshman and how Nared seems happy now

Tell meme to play defense, rebound and not shoot unless a layup

Reactions: 1 person

Without a doubt there are areas that need to be improved. That is where coaching comes in. I am not ready to say final four but there is a lot of promise. Fresh out of the box, this Freshman class looked pretty good.

The last thing MeMe needs to shoot is a lay up!! Can barely hit 1 to save her life. Lol

The last thing MeMe needs to shoot is a lay up!! Can barely hit 1 to save her life. Lol

She didn't show much of a reason tonight to be on the court instead of one of the freshmen. I don't think she made a single jump shot.

No way to hide her because of switches where she gets a faster player on the switch. She definitely needs to work on defense. Also, with a combined 1 for 13 for 3pt shooting night for the team,,,The good: she was the 1 who hit the only 3. The bad, it was her only shot of the game.

I recognized two offensive sets run by the LV's.

The third quarter was the first time seeing all of the FabFour on the floor at once. Jaime was the fifth player...And moments into it, Meme subbed in for Annie.... These recruits are the real deal. All four of them looked good out there....

And I will tell you straight up...Rennia and Evina are equal tradeups for DD and Coop. Rennia is just as much a scorer and her defense is stifling, and, Evina doesn't turn the ball over like Coop did.

Meme had 7 boards and her TO-Assist ratio was 4 assists to 1 turnover. Meme hasn't been called upon to be a scorer, but she has to take a shot every now and then, so the defense can't leave her and double-team someone else.

Meme will find her scoring rhythm. She worked very hard this off-season. She'll get there.

++++++++++++

I watched this game intently. Barely even spoke to anyone around me. I got a good look at this team. . . Factor in the two BIGS on the bench sitting this one out,,,and you have easily the best team in CHW's HC tenure....This is NOT yesterday's Lady Vols, it is tomorrow's Lady Vols.

Reactions: 5 people
I still saw a lazy Defense. When the opposing team can drive for a layup in the half court set. Same ole coaching.

remember when Kortney and Nia went off with some big numbers in the early games then was never heard from again? Caution before you put Davis in the hall of fame.

Were....js

True on early games, but I saw the freshmen make moves/body control I never saw in the Kortney and Nia years.

Reactions: 4 people
The coach is still the same.

True enough, the coach is still the same...But the staff and the players are not the same. Both the staff and the players are tailor made for CHW's coaching style...I too am still waiting to see where this season will go...However, I do feel very confident that if the personnel-traumas and dramas are kept to a minimum, CHW will be able to have the type of year that we expect out of a UT-team and coach.

Last edited:
True enough, the coach is still the same...But the staff and the players are not the same. Both the staff and the players are taylor made for CHW's coaching style...I too am still waiting to see where this season will go...However, I do feel very confident that if the personnel-traumas and dramas are kept to a minimum, CHW will be able to have the type of year that we expect out of a UT-team and coach.

tailor . . j/s, (so Lady Smallvol doesn't always have to be the heavy)

That said, I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment!

Jim

And there is the sour note in the middle of a beautiful song. Just enjoy the win. Dang.
It has always been guard play that has beaten UT. Even under Summitt. We traditionally don't play a zone which stops guards penetration. We have two very talented guards with speed. The keeping their man in front of them will come with experience. Meme needs to focus on locking down her player and not worry about flash on offense or playing pg. We will have 2 more bigs to keep the post fresh. I believe our defense will be much improved by SEC season and barring injuries we will be a dangerous tournament team.

It has always been guard play that has beaten UT. Even under Summitt. We traditionally don't play a zone which stops guards penetration. We have two very talented guards with speed. The keeping their man in front of them will come with experience. Meme needs to focus on locking down her player and not worry about flash on offense or playing pg. We will have 2 more bigs to keep the post fresh. I believe our defense will be much improved by SEC season and barring injuries we will be a dangerous tournament team.

The thing that stood out in Westbrook's defense was her OTB (Off the Ball) defense. This is something I push very hard with my teams and players...If one of my players waits to start defending until after her assignment gets an easy, unguarded pass reception, it's "pine time" for that player... A defender's job is not to defend them when they get the ball, it is to prevent them from getting the ball in the first place. Frustrate them.

OTB you can get away with much more aggression because the Zebras are focused on the action at the location of the ball in play.

Before making proclamations on how great the freshmen are, we better wait and see how they play against much better teams.

They still have a lot to learn.

True enough, the coach is still the same...But the staff and the players are not the same. Both the staff and the players are taylor made for CHW's coaching style...I too am still waiting to see where this season will go...However, I do feel very confident that if the personnel-traumas and dramas are kept to a minimum, CHW will be able to have the type of year that we expect out of a UT-team and coach.

"Tailor made" for chw's coaching style. Does that mean do not play much defense and way outdated on offense. The only thing that can overcome that is 5 experienced players that are so good you can't mess them up. Sorry to be a downer so early but this has been going on for too long now.

VN Store

Back