Soccer: UT 3, Arkansas 2

armchair

The Vol soccer team ended the regular season with a crucial win over Arkansas, on the road, rallying twice to win the match 3-2. After losing our previous two matches, the Vols needed a victory to assure themselves a bye in the first-round of the SEC tournament, which starts Sunday. Beyond that, we needed a win to improve our NCAA RPI ranking and to simply avoid losing three straight to end the season, which would have been a total bummer after playing so well for most of the season. Thankfully, UT got the win and with it the 5th seed in the tournament. We finished the SEC with a 6-3-1 record. That's a good record in a tough conference--but it could have been better, given that we let Auburn tie us late after it looked like we had the win in that match, and we could have beaten South Carolina as well--or at least gotten a tie out of that match. In any case, we will now play Vanderbilt in the quarterfinals of the tournament on Tuesday night. We lost to Vandy, at Vandy, a week ago by a score of 2-1, but we made some dumb mistakes in that game and we are certainly capable of beating the Commodores. They are a solid team, but so are we.

In this game, we fell behind in the first five minutes of the game. Paige Franks--who has been bright at the left back position for us--tried to kick the ball across the field but her pass was off and hit an Arkansas player. A razorback midfielder picked up the ball and found a teammate who got in behind Franks on the left side of our defense. She crossed the ball into the box, where we had two or three defenders. One of them, Wrenne French, seemed to be caught a bit unawares by the ball. Instead of clearing it, she could only get her foot on it and deflect it; the ball went to another arkansas player, who put it in the back of our net.

After that we dominated possession in the first half and showed a lot of patience with the ball, a quality that we did not have against florida. We didn't create many chances--only one, in fact--but that was enough to tie the game. Bunny Shaw controlled a throw-in in the Arkansas third, laced the ball into the arkansas box, about 10 yards in front of net. An arky defender could not control the ball, and Rylie O'Keefe took advantage. She skipped past the arkansas defender and nicely thumped the ball over a sliding hog keeper and into the net. The half ended 1-1.

We were a bit shaky in the first 15 minutes of the second half. We gave up some corner chances--and then we gave up another goal when our keeper, Shae Yanez made what I think was the same mistake, on the same type of play, that proved to be the game loser for us in the Vandy game. As in the Vandy game, Arkansas had a free kick on our half of the field and sent the ball into our 18-yard box. As in the Vandy game, Yanez game out of goal to either grab the ball or put herself in a position to grab it--or something. As in the Vandy game, the ball was too far out from goal for her to get to it--and there were players between her and the ball. And she, again, found herself in no-man's land. As in the Vandy game, the ball was headed toward our goal---and with Yanez out of position, the ball bounced into our unprotected net.

In this case, the ball was poorly headed by a Vol, M.A. Vignola, and ended up as an own-goal. But had Yanez stayed in net, she could have made an easy safe. She has got to start reading the ball better and stop running out to get balls that come down 12 yards or more from our goal--too far out to retrieve. Knowing when to leave goal to grab a ball and when not to is a key part of being a keeper, and Yanez has to make better decisions.

More generally, we've made too many defensive mistakes in late-season games--and as a result have struggled. You can't give your opponents free goals--it makes it very hard to win. M. Neal got called for a penalty in the box against Missouri and they converted the penalty kick to take the lead. M. Gouner did the same thing against Vandy after missing a chance to clear the ball away, and that resulted in a Vandy goal--and then the mistakes by Yanez. We have had to chase our last four games, falling behind in every one of them because of bonehead defensive miscues. You can't do that and expect to beat good teams. The difference between us and, say, conference winner South Carolina--the best defensive team in the conference--is that they don't make mistakes and give the opponent free goals.

But the Vols kept their composure last night--and ended up swiping the game. In the mid-part of the second half, Pensky moved Erin Gilroy from her right-forward position to the midfield--and that proved a smart move. Gilroy got a ball, moved toward goal and belted the ball upper-right-hand corner of the Arkansas net from about 20 yards out. It was an impressive strike. And then late in the game we got the game-winner. At roughly the 81 minute mark, we had a throw-in deep in the Arkansas zone. D. Marcano made a strong toss from the sideline that went all the way to the near post. There, Bunny Shaw was waiting for it--and she leapt above two Arkansas defenders to head the ball past the arky keeper, giving us a 3-2 lead. That proved to be the game winner. It was nice to see Shaw get back in the scoring column.

I think this win assures us of getting an NCAA bid, which we desperately need after failing to make the big tournament for a few years. Where we will be seeded and where we will play will depend on how we do in the SEC tournament and what our end-of-season RPI is. Going into the Vandy and Florida games, we were in a position to get a very high NCAA seed--one analyst had us as a 2 seed. But we fell in the RPI after the two losses. Opportunity awaits in the tournament--and it would be nice to see us turn the tables on Vandy in the rematch. It's a good chance for us, but we will have to play better defensively to win it. On a sidenote, our starting centerback McKenzie Gouner got hurt late in the Vandy match and as missed the last two games. Not sure what the injury is but hope to see her back on the field. Josie Jennings has done a nice job filling in at centerback, but overall, to be candid, I don't think our back four is quite good enough to beat really good teams. I hope they prove me wrong.

One last thing: After last night's victory, AD John Currie tweeted congratulations to Coach Pensky and the soccer team on the win and getting a first-round bye in the SEC tourney. Unfortunately, a bunch of idiotic UT football fans--men--set upon Currie's tweet like flies on a jelly sandwich. They hijacked the tweet and assailed Currie with a barrage to retweets calling for Butch Jones to be fired. So a nice message to the soccer team was ruined by a bunch of goobers. Not cool at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Good win--and I agree on the tweeters that took Currie's tweets and ran ridiculously with it. The AD has an obligation to all sports--sure, football is the revenue generator and therefore gets the most attention, but to take positive tweets for one sport and make it a negative is just plain dumb.

Good luck against the 'Dores.

Again AC, well done and many thanks. I saw a few things differently that bothered me and I do want to mention them briefly. We seemed to let them press up on us a good bit and didn't handle it well. Frequent bad passes and failure to move forward left our defense in bad position multiple times. On offense, we made a ton of bad passes that were alternately wide, short, long, or into the legs of multiple defenders. At times I thought we got sloppy.

Having said that, I watched a good bit of the Duke/Virginia game right before our game came on and boy, those girls can play the "beautiful game." What impressed me most was the passing by Duke and to a less degree Virginia, which was almost always accurate, well weighted and leading the runner in to great position. I was very impressed. Our girls have a lot of room to improve.

After all that, we won! It wasn't easy but we got it done and that was critical. Here's hoping we make some noise in the SEC tournament. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Strange: I go to quite to a few UVA games, and was at their game against Duke last night. Duke is strong in all phases of the game--they've got an outstanding forward in Dorsey, who is very speedy and just good, and their other forward is excellent as well; they've got two dynamite midfielders--one of whom was the national player of the year, I read, a couple of years ago and the other is a Canadian holding mid who just manages the game for the team in the way that Cousins does for us--but she's got a little more pace than Cousins, who is excellent in every way except for her speed. Duke has no weaknesses, and of course both it and UVA are extremely well coached. Duke's coach, Robbie Church, seems to lean on an assistant who is Dutch, played in the renowned Dutch Youth Academy system when young--and who has a ton of coaching experience and experience for a fairly young guy. He has had two brief stints as an assistant with teams in the NWSL--and I was surprised to learn was an assistant at Alabama for one year (2014). I imagine he's a cut above the assistants at a lot of colleges--and I say that knowing that there are a lot of excellent assistants out there. But you could tell Church leans on him a lot. The UVA coach, Steve Swanson, has coached with with the U.S. Women's National Team. He's an excellent coach. UVA is very fundamental, like Duke; very sound defensively. Both of those teams are much sounder in the back than we are. That's not to say we are bad--we're solid--but defensively we are not at the level of top ACC teams--or of South Carolina, which is an outstanding defensive team. UVA doesn't have the scoring talent they've had in recent years--they struggle to put the ball in the net. I think a UVA-UT game would be interesting.

Regarding our possession, the Vols are lots better in possession than we were in Pensky's first few years--but then we were BAD for a few years. There is no question there is much room for improvement. Our passing and ball movement is not as good or as polished as a team like Duke. Maya Neal, to name one example, is an excellent athlete and does a lot of good things, but she is not a polished player and not a particular good passer at all. She misses easy passes and does not weight a lot of her passes properly--some too soft and slow to reach the recipient, some too hard and difficult to control. I thought she played /very well/ last night--but her game is still pretty raw in some respects. Jennings, Gouner: their ball skills and passing could definitely be better as well. Our possession play against florida--always a good possession team--was weak, partly because we were always trying to rush play and thus made passes that weren't there to be made. We'd make two/three passes and lose the ball--constantly. Not enough patient.

We were MUCH more patient last night in the first half--it was a very good half of possession for us, even if we didn't create many scoring chances. When you have the ball, the other team can't score. Of course Arkansas is not as good as florida. Your opponent makes a difference. I think we actually lost a very good recruit because of our poor possession play last year--a forward who plays for Wisconsin and scored the winning goal for them a couple of nights ago against Penn State. She is an excellent scorer and was committed to Tennessee. I'm not positive, but I was conversing on this board last year with the father of a UT player or recruit, and he was not happy about our possession play. He dropped off the board--and not long after this player who was coming to UT had switched to the Badgers. So it is important to play attractive soccer.

Overall, we're certainly a lot better team that we've been in recent years because Pensky has brought in a lot of genuinely talented kids--Gilroy, Cousins, Vignola, Franks, Bialczak, Flynn, others (Shaw): These are players with skill sets equal to the recruits at the top programs. We have depth now that we didn't begin to have in the past. But, yea, we still are a notch below the Duke's and Penn State's of the college soccer. I would still not bet on us against florida. But we have a pretty good soccer team. We just have to take our fundamentals up a notch. In the Vandy game, for example, Marcano was making a late run on goal--but she had her head down and seemed determined to get a shot off herself--and she missed a completely open Shaw who, had she gotten the ball, surely would have tied the game. You can't miss plays like that and expect to win tough games.

I'm looking forward to our rematch with Vandy. It should be a good game between two good, evenly matched teams. They were more physical than I expected when we played them a week ago. But we gave that game away with two bad mistakes that gave them goals--one by Yanez. We are certainly capable of beating Vandy, if we play well.

If we do, we'll get a rematch against South Carolina. I actually think we match up better with South Carolina than florida--we certainly played better against South Carolina than we did against florida, I thought, but they are a tough team. South Carolina beat florida last night in classic South Carolina fashion--they didn't give up a goal, and then scored their only goal very late in the game--past the 80 minute mark, I believe--to win 1-0. The gamecocks have probably won 10 games over the last two years by scoring late to win 1-0. I didn't think they'd be as good this year, having lost at least three good starters from last year, and I don't think they are as good offensively, even though McCaskill is excellent and they can score--but nobody can put the ball in the net against them. They are tough to score on. But I'd like to see us get another crack at them.

Reactions: 2 people
2017 SEC Soccer Awards

1stTeam
Bunny Shaw
Katie Cousins
Maya Neal

2ndTeam
Anna Bialczak

All-Fresh
Erin Gilroy

Attachments

• IMG_20171029_195219.jpg