Thoughts after observing the team

Undercovervol

Please don't ask who I am, etc.

--Mercedes and Jaime: Senior leaders on the team. Most poised players offensively and defensively. Offense will most likely flow through them. Jaime, in particular, is vocal and demands defensive excellence. She seems more confidant, as well, to take shots (she has a good shot overall) and might be our best all around defender.
--Kourtney: has an okay shot, but struggles defensively and with toughness in general. The big three freshmen will likely play before her.
--London: The x-factor on the team. Extremely tough player, fierce rebounder, post up, can even put the ball on the floor and finish. She may struggle with foul trouble, but will likely see big minutes. Type of player that could help us with aggressiveness against the zone.
--Hayes: Very poised player, pretty shot, willing to lead the offense, good passer, can get to the rim and finish, quick player. Doesn't seem like a freshman.
--Westbrook: More intense than Hayes, pretty shot, bigger size, quick player. Buys into defensive intensity. Seems like Holly is experimenting with Hayes and Westbrook at point/two guard. Still learning, but will likely emerge as the vocal leader of her class.
--Davis: The most potential of all the freshman. Extremely athletic, excellent passer, great size at the wing position, high basketball IQ, willing to learn and ask questions. Regularly hits the backboard when making layups and can dunk, most likely. Great leaper. Can also pull up and create her own shot, and its a pretty shot, may be our most dangerous shooter at the three spot. Hate to make this comparison, but reminds of Holdsclaw's game. Not very vocal and may need to develop more intensity, also, still learning. But nevertheless, willing to pull up and hit at every spot on the floor.
--Kasi: A step behind the other freshmen, but not a work in progress. Tough offensive threat that looks for a seal and to score. Needs more conditioning, quickness, and toughness on defense, and overall, needs more intensity.
--Meme: Quick player, willing to shoot the three and make it, and drive, seems more confidant on offense, but can get lost on offense. Not sure how much she has improved. Hayes and Meme are very quick. Will play because of quickness and improved-looking shot.
--Cam: Learning, struggles with toughness and finishing offensively.

Starting five may be: Russell, London, Nared, Westbrook, Hayes. But Meme could start because London is still learning. But Jaime should play at the three, not four, because she's much more suited to be at the wing.
I don't think this team is any worse than last year, and could be an improvement. There seems to be more of an emphasis on team scoring, team dynamics, efficiency, etc. Hayes is a big upgrade at the point, and Westbrook could bring a more consistent intensity than Diamond, though she isn't at her level, yet, offensively.
One big question is how will this team defend. I think the freshmen could be good defenders, but I'm not sure.
The other big question is who the third go to scorer will be. Mercedes will score, Jaime will have to score...It could be Westbrook or Hayes. Maybe even London. She could have big nights against certain teams.
Go lady vols

Reactions: 15 people
Who are you?!! ;)

Seriously nice post. Enjoy reading everything about our team. I don't have "huge" expectations for us - but I do think we will end the season in the top 15. We have potential, but a lot of parts to mesh. I'm hopeful that the freshmen learn a TON because losing Mercedes and Jaime will be a really big loss, and while I like the kids we have recruited for next year, I don't think they are world beaters...

Reactions: 1 person
Who are you?!! ;)

Seriously nice post. Enjoy reading everything about our team. I don't have "huge" expectations for us - but I do think we will end the season in the top 15. We have potential, but a lot of parts to mesh. I'm hopeful that the freshmen learn a TON because losing Mercedes and Jaime will be a really big loss, and while I like the kids we have recruited for next year, I don't think they are world beaters...

Dang it ! You beat me to it ! 😂 I concur very nice post and thank you for the update !

--Mercedes and Jaime: Senior leaders on the team. Most poised players offensively and defensively. Offense will most likely flow through them. Jaime, in particular, is vocal and demands defensive excellence. She seems more confidant, as well, to take shots (she has a good shot overall) and might be our best all around defender.
--Kourtney: has an okay shot, but struggles defensively and with toughness in general. The big three freshmen will likely play before her.
--London: The x-factor on the team. Extremely tough player, fierce rebounder, post up, can even put the ball on the floor and finish. She may struggle with foul trouble, but will likely see big minutes. Type of player that could help us with aggressiveness against the zone.
--Hayes: Very poised player, pretty shot, willing to lead the offense, good passer, can get to the rim and finish, quick player. Doesn't seem like a freshman.
--Westbrook: More intense than Hayes, pretty shot, bigger size, quick player. Buys into defensive intensity. Seems like Holly is experimenting with Hayes and Westbrook at point/two guard. Still learning, but will likely emerge as the vocal leader of her class.
--Davis: The most potential of all the freshman. Extremely athletic, excellent passer, great size at the wing position, high basketball IQ, willing to learn and ask questions. Regularly hits the backboard when making layups and can dunk, most likely. Great leaper. Can also pull up and create her own shot, and its a pretty shot, may be our most dangerous shooter at the three spot. Hate to make this comparison, but reminds of Holdsclaw's game. Not very vocal and may need to develop more intensity, also, still learning. But nevertheless, willing to pull up and hit at every spot on the floor.
--Kasi: A step behind the other freshmen, but not a work in progress. Tough offensive threat that looks for a seal and to score. Needs more conditioning, quickness, and toughness on defense, and overall, needs more intensity.
--Meme: Quick player, willing to shoot the three and make it, and drive, seems more confidant on offense, but can get lost on offense. Not sure how much she has improved. Hayes and Meme are very quick. Will play because of quickness and improved-looking shot.

Starting five may be: Russell, London, Nared, Westbrook, Hayes. But Meme could start because London is still learning. But Jaime should play at the three, not four, because she's much more suited to be at the wing.
I don't think this team is any worse than last year, and could be an improvement. There seems to be more of an emphasis on team scoring, team dynamics, efficiency, etc. Hayes is a big upgrade at the point, and Westbrook could bring a more consistent intensity than Diamond, though she isn't at her level, yet, offensively.
One big question is how will this team defend. I think the freshmen could be good defenders, but I'm not sure.
The other big question is who the third go to scorer will be. Mercedes will score, Jaime will have to score...It could be Westbrook or Hayes. Maybe even London. She could have big nights against certain teams.
Go lady vols
Who is this "London " person ?

Reactions: 1 person
Still a good read 😎 I am sure you’ll be adding your “coaching insight” about the team soon enough

I appreciate undercovervol sharing his/her insight of the team.

Obviously rejection is hard to accept. Coach Jumper is still upset that he's not a part of the team. :ermm:

undercovervol keep posting what you see. This might be the start to something good.

GOLadyVols!

Reactions: 8 people
That whole post could have been written a day after DD quit by almost any poster that writes here and been just as "insightful".

Reactions: 2 people
hey UCV...don't care who you are...doesn't matter, but I do like your personal observation...:good!:...like they say in the real world...we'll see...:)

PS. also, keep'em comin'...:thumbsup:

GO LADY VOLS!

Go lady vols

Excellent summary but why wouldn't Davis start if she is like Holdsclaw because that player would start on almost any team. I've seen Westbrooks play a lot she is more of a floor general, superior passer, not a great three point shooter will lead the team in assists. She has a decent mid-range game and that is where she likes to take her shots.
I have thought that Green was more of an Anosike type player who may be a little better offensively. I have yet to see her play so still like what you are saying about her.

I appreciate undercovervol sharing his/her insight of the team.

Obviously rejection is hard to accept. Coach Jumper is still upset that he's not a part of the team. :ermm:

undercovervol keep posting what you see. This might be the start to something good.

GOLadyVols!

Did the OP claim otherwise? The title of the post was "Thoughts after observing the team", not "Super duper top secret inside info".

The title implies that this person was at a practice...Observing,

from here or in-person?

As gule said, what was written, could have been written by any poster in here.

from here or in-person?

I don’t know if this person was at a practice or not, as I don’t know who they are, but I do know that there are guests and media members at practice all the time.

Just sayin’...

The name misspellings irked me. LOL Though I did notice they spelled Jaime’s name correctly and it’s often misspelled due to the unique way she spells it.

Last edited:

from here or in-person?

It does imply that. So? I took from it the poster saw a practice and gave their general thoughts. Not what I'd call "inside info". It was kinda generic stuff but what else can you glean from most practices? It's a message board-for entertainment purposes. If you and gule can write something more insightful you should get together and do so. I'm sure we'd all love to read it

Reactions: 11 people

VN Store

Back