Soccer: UT 4, Georgia 0

armchair

The Vols were listless and sloppy to start tonight's game but got it together and went on to beat Georgia 4-0. The Dawgs haven't won a game in the SEC, so we were expected to win tonight, and we did. Bunny Shaw scored another two goals (her 12th and 13th) and A. Bialczak and K. Cousins each had an impressive tally to round out our scoring. Erin Gilroy was again very good on the right flank--the kid is tough, fast and can play.

We had a 1-0 lead at the half thanks to a Shaw goal off a centering pass from Gilroy. R. O'Keefe had an excellent scoring chance--also off a pass from Gilroy, but her strike from right in front of the goal was weak and off-target. M.Flynn also missed a chance off a bouncing pass from Cousins on a free kick. We were lackluster and not good in the first 20 minutes by gradually grew to dominate the game. We totally controlled the second half.

I was happy to see freshman centerback Kelsey Kiley get some PT tonight in relief of M. Neal. She doesn't have Neal's athleticism and speed, but she is tall and had two or more years of high-level club experience at centerback before arriving at UT---and it shows. She hasn't played a lot--but she seems steady, which is not a word that can be used with Neal, who does a lot of good things but makes too many mistakes.

The Vols are now 3rd in the SEC but have two tough games next week--Thursday at Vandy and Sunday at home against Florida. They are both good teams and so will be tests of our strength and composure and talent. I'm not that confident that our back four can hold up against a potent florida attack, which is why the Vandy game is so important. We need another couple of tough games, and I'm eager to see how we fare.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Thanks armchair. I would think UT is already a lock for the field of 64, but a split this weekend and a nice showing in the SEC tournament could lead to us hosting a regional, imo. What do u think?

Another excellent summary, thanks. For some reason my SEC Network+ did not let me see the game last night so your summary is very helpful. Glad we won but wish I could have watched it. Oh well. On to Vandy!

Reactions: 1 person
thanks AC...yep, the Pensky Lady Vol soccer racing team got off a little slowly, but wow, sure finished strong...hosting a regional is definitely not out of the question...also, second largest fan attendance at the game...this young team is rolling, rolling, rolling, right now...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

Another excellent summary, thanks. For some reason my SEC Network+ did not let me see the game last night so your summary is very helpful. Glad we won but wish I could have watched it. Oh well. On to Vandy!

it will be on REPLAY on ESPN. You might also switch browsers--I had to do that. Watch espn can be a little wonky sometimes.

it will be on REPLAY on ESPN. You might also switch browsers--I had to do that. Watch espn can be a little wonky sometimes.

Thanks for the advice but I'm using Roku/Sling and I got it fixed today after about 30 minutes on the phone with Sling tech support. Do you have any idea what time the replay is on ESPN? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 person
It should be there now--it stays up for a day or two. Just go to replay and scroll down.

VN Store

Back