Massey Ratings are out...

It takes more than one good recruiting class to have a good team. You need a good class every year. Two years ago we essentially had NO recruiting class--unheard of--and this year's class doesn't look very good. And we don't even know how this year's freshman class will plan out. We lost 13 games last year with three of the best players in the country: why WOULD anybody think we'd be demonstrably better having lost DD and two others?

Reactions: 6 people
The 18 and 8 may turn out to be right but we may win some of those games they say we'll lose and lose a couple they are saying we'll win. How do you lose to Penn State and Va Tech and beat Notre Dame, Miss St and SC last season.
Consistency is the key we'll see if we have it or not. Holly seemed to turn players that had good freshmen years into bad players by their senior season. The ones that come to mind are Reynolds, Carter, and Graves.

Reactions: 1 person
Sounds pretty similar to the football team. Top 10 talent, subpar coaching. No reason the Ladies shouldn't be in at least the Top 10. Should be Top 5. Coaching is and will always be the downfall of this team until Warlick is replaced.

Reactions: 4 people
I swear I wish some of you just stop following the team until the coach you want the university to hire is hired!

ItÂ’s a new season with a new group of players, we havenÂ’t even got a chance to see what they can do!

Everytime some of you post itÂ’s always negativity there is never nothing positive and yall wondering why we are the way we are and why weÂ’re not landing recruits....If I am a coach for another team all I have to do is show them printouts of what some of you (and IÂ’ve done it before but was reminded by a parent who has a child interested in playing at UT) have said and say see how they treat what they have, how do you think they are going to treat you!

Give this team a chance!

I could care less about a ranking because with a 1 game elimination in the Tournament anybody can get beat, you just have to get to the tournament!

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
Massey Ratings are out..

Massey Ratings - University of Tennessee Volunteers

- Lady Vols preseason rank #19
- predicted 18-8 regular season record
- predicted 11-5 conference record..

Big Losses against, Stanford, Texas, UK, South Carolina x2, Notre Dame, and Msst

In all honesty I wish we weren't ranked. How is Washington ranked 7 and they lost their Top Scorer and Assist person and well as their Top Rebounder and Shot blocker.

Also Miss State should be higher than everyone except UConn and SC.

The 18 and 8 may turn out to be right but we may win some of those games they say we'll lose and lose a couple they are saying we'll win. How do you lose to Penn State and Va Tech and beat Notre Dame, Miss St and SC last season.
Consistency is the key we'll see if we have it or not. Holly seemed to turn players that had good freshmen years into bad players by their senior season. The ones that come to mind are Reynolds, Carter, and Graves.

I had high hope for both Reynolds and Carter--but they did not develop. Reynolds--great size and athleticism--could have been a force, I thought, but wasn't. Not bad, certainly, but not really good either. Same player as a senior as she was a freshman. Never seemed to become a leader, and offensive game never really improved.

I was a fan of Carter--liked her work ethic and athleticism--but never seemed to develop any offensive confidence. She wasn't very big, and that was probably a factor.

Graves developed a little but not enough. Great size and athleticism, had a good career, but just didn't have the offensive skills needed to be a top player.

These three really typify UT basketball for the last decade. Three excellent athletes; one can see why they were top recruits, but didn't have or couldn't develop the all-around qualities to become "difference-makers"--a Phil Fulmer liked to put it--in college. You can throw Massengale in there with this group as well--another top recruit who never really got beyond OK as a collegian. I can't even remember the last time we had a truly outstanding guard. You have to go back to Lawson, I think--a player who was good but not great--and then you'd have to go back a lot more years before her, I think. Rough....

Sounds pretty similar to the football team. Top 10 talent, subpar coaching. No reason the Ladies shouldn't be in at least the Top 10. Should be Top 5. Coaching is and will always be the downfall of this team until Warlick is replaced.

Three of the best potential players in college the last two years--certainly last year--and we lose 13 games each of those years? And fans act like our incoming freshmen are going to save the program--as if we haven't been recruiting top prospects for years. Oh, my.

Reactions: 2 people
I watch Mercedes Russell and she is running great this year, had made great improvement in her game. Jaime Nared made a huge improvement between her 2nd and 3rd year and will be even better this year. We have not had a top guard in years and will have at least two this year in Anastasia Hayes and Evina Westbrook with great improvement in Meme Jackson. Kortney Dunbar looks so much better this year as well. Can't wait for the basketball season to begin. We need to give coach Holly Warlick two more years.

Reactions: 4 people
I can't even remember the last time we had a truly outstanding guard. You have to go back to Lawson, I think--a player who was good but not great--and then you'd have to go back a lot more years before her, I think. Rough....

Bobbit and Hornbuckle are probably shaking their heads at at that. Unless they're too busy polishing their rings.

Reactions: 8 people
Last year we had a few players that weren't that efficient with the ball. DD could score and she was an excellent defender, but you had to contend with the fact she was going to turn it over five or more times. Her shooting percentage was only average at best.
I really think Westbrooks and Davis can be double digit scorers for us this season. I expect they will take around 20 shots between them and hit nine. A couple will be threes and result in 21 ppg. Nared and Russell will get us 35. To get where we need to be the rest of the team needs to contribute 20 ppg and needs to do it in no more than 20 attempts from the field.

Bobbit and Hornbuckle are probably shaking their heads at at that. Unless they're too busy polishing their rings.

Stricklen is too (although she doesn't have the rings) she played out of position most of her career(spent majority of it playing PG) and gave everything she had. And Simmons was nerve wrecking at times but if it wasn't for her willingness to light it up we probably wouldn't have won some games as well were these 2 great no but they we a lot better than they are given credit. (imo)

I'm excited for this freshman class to hit the floor, too. But to temper my expectations and be real, I remind myself of the 2008-09 season in which we welcomed likely the #1 freshman class in the country that year. It was deeper too with Johnson, Stricklen, Brewer, Gray, Manning, and Bass. I recall the constant frustration in seeing those freshmen struggle to live up to expectations and be successful night in and night out. There were many growing pains. That team lost 11 games--5 in the SEC--and earned a mere 5th seed in the NCAA Tournament, bowing out in the first round to Ball State.

VN Store

Back