Lady Vols overcome Mizzou 3 - 2 in OT

StrangeVol

In what I thought was our worst outing this season the girls pulled it out at the end by scoring the tieing goal in the last 5 minutes and then scoring on a beautiful free kick by Bunny early in overtime. She curved the ball around the Mizzou wall and into the bottom right corner of the goal. A really difficult and beautiful shot.

I thought our back line had a terrible game today and the rest of the team seemed sluggish from the outset. We just didn't seem to have it today. Credit to the girls though, with their backs to the wall they dug deep and rallied for the win!

All in all a good result! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I really appreciate updates from the women's sports other than BB. We get very little coverage here (se Tn). Thanks for the post.

Reactions: 1 person
Was a really nice comeback win. They dogged Bunny Shaw all game and it was poetic she made them in pay in the end. That would have been a devestating loss to one of the worst teams in the Sec. We cannot lose thise games.

Was a really nice comeback win. They dogged Bunny Shaw all game and it was poetic she made them in pay in the end. That would have been a devestating loss to one of the worst teams in the Sec. We cannot lose thise games.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Bunny got stung by a bee sometime during the first period, at which time she left the game until the beginning of the second period.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Bunny got stung by a bee sometime during the first period, at which time she left the game until the beginning of the second period.

Yeah; that was crazy ! I’m glad she was able to come back in.

In what I thought was our worst outing this season the girls pulled it out at the end by scoring the tieing goal in the last 5 minutes and then scoring on a beautiful free kick by Bunny early in overtime. She curved the ball around the Mizzou wall and into the bottom right corner of the goal. A really difficult and beautiful shot.

I thought our back line had a terrible game today and the rest of the team seemed sluggish from the outset. We just didn't seem to have it today. Credit to the girls though, with their backs to the wall they dug deep and rallied for the win!

I follow all the LV sports and Pensky has them playing well. I have noticed all year the Maya Neal will most of the time not make the pass but will choose to kick the ball out of the sidelines. This happens often when other better options would be to move the ball up the field. Am I wrong or right? I have coached soccer and played so I am a little confused.

I follow all the LV sports and Pensky has them playing well. I have noticed all year the Maya Neal will most of the time not make the pass but will choose to kick the ball out of the sidelines. This happens often when other better options would be to move the ball up the field. Am I wrong or right? I have coached soccer and played so I am a little confused.

I'm no expert but that has bothered me as well. It just seems to make no sense to give up possession when there are passing opportunities available after no or a short dribble. :unsure:

Edit to add: After a bit more thought, I first want to say that Maya is a terrific defender most of the time in that she is really dogged in her marking. Her playing the ball out of bounds maybe what the coach wants if she cant see a clear path to get the ball well past midfield. Perhaps he or she thinks it's better to regroup than to put the ball into an area that could allow the other side to organize a counter attack quickly if we don't make perfect passes. Just guessin' but that could be the reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I'm no expert but that has bothered me as well. It just seems to make no sense to give up possession when there are passing opportunities available after no or a short dribble. :unsure:

Wondered about that myself. Just giving away possession. Couldn’t figure it out.

RE Maya Neal: Pensky can rave about her all he wants but she's certainly not a top centerback. She does a lot of good things with her athleticism and speed, uses her body well--but her play is far too erratic--makes too many mistakes. Her passing is suspect--one third of her passes to Jennings, the outside back on her side, go out of bounds--and those should be easy when neither she nor Jennings is under pressure. She also does not know how to weight her passes--she often puts too much pace on the ball, making it hard for the player receiving the ball to control it. She botches plays--yesterday she let a ball go past her that got to a breaking Missouri forward--and had it not been for a great save by Yanez we would have been down 0-2. And, YES: She lacks composure because she is constantly clearing balls out of bounds when she is not being pressed by an opposing player. It's just giving the ball right back to the opponent. She should controlling the ball so that we can keep it and possess it out of the back. And of course yesterday she also fouled Missouri's best player in the box, giving them a penalty kick that was converted and put us behind. Not a good day for her. She has to be better if we expect to really grow as a team.

It's hard overstate how huge that comeback win was. The difference between 3-2-1 and 4-1-1 is massive when we are trying to stay near the top of a tough conference. Had we lost, we'd have been back with the pack again--and with three tough games ahead, that is not a situation we wanted to be in. Missouri is not having a good year--but they've played some good teams and I had feeling this would be a tough game: A long road trip after a wild game on Thursday, an opponent hungry for a win at home--it had all the makings of a trap game. We looked beaten--but credit Shaw, Bialczak and Gilroy for saving the day late, O'Keefe too. O'Keefe got the ball wide to Shaw, who sent a ball into the box; Bialczak got forward and put the ball on goal with a decent (though not great strike)--and Kilroy swooped in to put it in the net after the Missouri keeper let it squirt out of her hands. Shaw's free kick to win the game was pure class--and I'm sure it was very satisfying for her as she was frustrated all day by Missouri's focus on her. The Tiger coach put his biggest defender on Shaw, and she was glued to the UT player for most of the game.

We actually played well and controlled play for at least the first 25 minutes of the first half--or until Missouri scored the first goal--and we played well to start the second half, tying the game on an impressive run and strik by goal Vignola. Our midfield is becoming more assertive in attack--especially Bialczak--and that is crucial as we can't rely on Shaw all the time--especially because she is now getting a lot of attention from our opponents, as one would expect. We put a lot of pressure on Missouri for extended stretches--but struggled to convert that pressure into goals.

But I didn't like the way we played in the last 20-25 minutes when we were behind 1-2. We lost our composure a bit and did not possess the ball very much--starting playing very direct, trying long passes to Shaw, and were just too unsettled. We were throwing the body around too much, too, and were lucky we didn't get a couple of yellow cards. But we got it together when we needed to, to the team's credit. There are a lot of things to like about this team, but I don't think our back four is good enough to beat any elite teams. They'll get changes to prove otherwise when we play Vandy, Arkansas and Florida.

Last edited:

That Shaw game-winning kick was beautiful.

VN Store

Back