3119 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Fall softball Page 3. within the forum Tennessee Lady Vols. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #31
Nickid1975
Member

Join Date: Aug 2016
Fall softball
Posts: 63
Likes: 33
I did see Beardon and freshman Amanda Ayala alternating at catcher in the second game....both are lefties,making it hard to distinguish.

I was told that Ralph asked Ayala if see would like to try catching, which is not her normal spot...
Seemed to indicate to me that they are not completely settled on a catcher..
Nickid1975 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #32
tnburban
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2014
Fall softball Fall softball
Posts: 428
Likes: 393
Gotta tighten up the catching defense next year, that was our weakest defensive position last year, IMHO.
tnburban is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #33
armchair
Senior Member
 
armchair's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Posts: 10,277
Likes: 8,363
Isn't Lockman....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnburban View Post
Gotta tighten up the catching defense next year, that was our weakest defensive position last year, IMHO.

a pretty good defensive catcher? Her problem has been hitting. She hit a weak .225 after being under .200 as a freshman. Not good.

Bearden, by the way, hit only .216 last year.

Weimer, also with catching experience, hit .289 last year. She was our best right-hand hitter in terms of average, I think. By all accounts, her catching is a bit suspect--but given how she has shown potential as a hitter, and hits right, I'd be working pretty aggressively to improve her defensive skills. I thinkn Weimer will be important to this team this year.

Ayala throws left. Do our coaches really want her to try catching? Has she caught some in the past? She is listed as OF/C--but don't know if that means she's played both positions in the past or that coaches envision her, possibly, in both roles. Seems a rather desperate and impractical idea to me. Better to work to on Weimer's and McSwain's weaknesses, I should think.
armchair is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #34
Nickid1975
Member

Join Date: Aug 2016
Fall softball
Posts: 63
Likes: 33
Weimer was the game one starter . Lockman caught the later innings..
Fall ball being a time for training and trial I would imagine the eventual starter will most likely be the one who has the best bat...
Nickid1975 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #35
sccshortstop
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2012
Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Posts: 3,077
Likes: 807
Lady Vols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickid1975 View Post
Weimer was the game one starter . Lockman caught the later innings..
Fall ball being a time for training and trial I would imagine the eventual starter will most likely be the one who has the best bat...
From the catcher position and first base the best bat SHOULD be the starter.
sccshortstop is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-19-2017, 12:36 AM   #36
vol-un-tear
Senior Member
 
vol-un-tear's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,321
Likes: 4,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnburban View Post
Gotta tighten up the catching defense next year, that was our weakest defensive position last year, IMHO.
Our catchers haven't been good hitters. That has to get fixed.
vol-un-tear is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #37
tnburban
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2014
Fall softball Fall softball
Posts: 428
Likes: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
a pretty good defensive catcher? Her problem has been hitting. She hit a weak .225 after being under .200 as a freshman. Not good.

Bearden, by the way, hit only .216 last year.

Weimer, also with catching experience, hit .289 last year. She was our best right-hand hitter in terms of average, I think. By all accounts, her catching is a bit suspect--but given how she has shown potential as a hitter, and hits right, I'd be working pretty aggressively to improve her defensive skills. I thinkn Weimer will be important to this team this year.

Ayala throws left. Do our coaches really want her to try catching? Has she caught some in the past? She is listed as OF/C--but don't know if that means she's played both positions in the past or that coaches envision her, possibly, in both roles. Seems a rather desperate and impractical idea to me. Better to work to on Weimer's and McSwain's weaknesses, I should think.
Being a left handed catcher is not an issue in softball. Michigan had a lefty catching recently, made it to the final game of the WCWS. Georgia all has had a lefty catcher as well. If Ayala can play, then put her behind the plate.
tnburban is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #38
sccshortstop
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2012
Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Posts: 3,077
Likes: 807
Lady Vols

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnburban View Post
Being a left handed catcher is not an issue in softball. Michigan had a lefty catching recently, made it to the final game of the WCWS. Georgia all has had a lefty catcher as well. If Ayala can play, then put her behind the plate.
Florida also had a left hand catcher.
sccshortstop is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #39
Vols4life
Chalupa Batman
 
Vols4life's Avatar

Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Join Date: Oct 2004
Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,492
Likes: 2,135
Oklahoma I believe also has a lefty catcher
Vols4life is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #40
armchair
Senior Member
 
armchair's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Posts: 10,277
Likes: 8,363
Wow, I've never seen left-handed catcher...I will say this: The Weeklys should make every effort to develop our right-hand hitters and get a couple of them in the lineup and going well this year. We will need them. You can't have a lineup with 9 lefty hitters. I mean, if you have zero good right-hand hitters, then, yea, maybe you do--as a decent lefty hitter is better than a weak righty--but you're just setting yourself up to get beat by a good lefty pitcher in the tournament(s). You need some lineup balance. We aren't going to have much, but we need some. Didn't we get beat in the regionals by a good Arizona lefty two years ago?
armchair is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #41
Nickid1975
Member

Join Date: Aug 2016
Fall softball
Posts: 63
Likes: 33
Watched the Fla/Fsu game last year when they were ranked no.1 & no.2
Both had left handed starting catchers.
Nickid1975 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #42
Volfan2012
Senior Member
 
Volfan2012's Avatar

Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Location: Milan, Tn
Posts: 9,257
Likes: 4,159
http://www.utsports.com/roster.aspx?path=softball

21 player roster most of the starters back Ayala should play a lot as a freshman. Glad to see Sprang we can make it ok with three pitchers. Only four right handed batters and none have played that much.
Volfan2012 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #43
alexvol
Senior Member

Join Date: Jun 2010
Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball Fall softball
Posts: 1,303
Likes: 1,163
Much appreciate this thread keeping us up to date on Softball Lady Vols.
alexvol is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.