Vol Soccer Update: Undefeated, but Questions

armchair

The Vol soccer team is undefeated, 6-0, heading into the last weekend of out-of-conference play. That's the good news. The bad news is that we've played a very weak schedule and struggled, at times, to score against a bunch of below average teams. It was one thing to start the season with games against Navy, East Tennessee, Charleston and George Mason--OK, get some feel-good wins--but to follow up that foursome with Belmont and Middle Tennessee?

It's nice that the Vols have generated some positive momentum early in the year. That hasn't been the case in recent years. Two years ago we couldn't score a goal against Liberty, and last year we opened with a 0-0 tie against Lipscomb, then lost a tough one to Washington and got thumped by a very good BYU team. So there is something to be said about simply winning some games, even if they aren't really worth bragging about. We'll see if we can keep the win train rolling this week against Bucknell and, more particularly, Virginia Tech, with the SEC schedule looming. It's possible that we'll be in for a rude awakening when we play SEC teams that will be quite a bit better than our opponents thus far. Va. Tech, on Sunday, will be the first real test for this team, and thus should tell us a lot more about the Brian Pensky's Vols. The Hokies are not great but they are a solid middle-pack ACC team, and the ACC is arguably the best conference in women's soccer. They will test us, and this team needs a test.

"Bunny" Shaw, our imposing center forward and JC transfer, has been the star in attack, netting five (or six?) goals thus far, including three against (mighty) Belmont. We need her to score because, while we've played some good soccer, goals from other players have been scarce. Freshman McKinley Burkett has three, and then A. Kupritz and M. Flynn have one each--each of those being game-winning goals. Our starting midfield of K. Cousins, M. Christy and R. O'Keefe has been solid, but it is a unit that is better defensively than in attack. That's OK--but good teams get some scoring from their midfield to complement the forwards. Burkett has been playing midfield, in reserve mostly, but we need a bit more pace and speed in attack in the middle of the field.

This is a team with a quite a few good soccer players, many of whom are most naturally midfielders. Because we have a veteran starting midfield, some of them have been forced into other positions. D. Marcano, who has good attacking skills and who really could be an attacking midfielder, was switched to outside back last year and did an excellent job. She's in the same position this year and is a stout defender--a major asset. Another excellent athlete and attacking midfielder, M.A. Vignola, was moved to outside back this year. She is still learning the position, but should be good, and I hope she is healthy. Neither Vignola nor talented freshman E. Gilroy played at all in the last two games. I don't know why and hope they are not hurt--we need them. In a perfect world, at least one of Marcano or Vignola would be playing in midfield, where they are best suited, IMO, but then we'd be in a bind at the important outside back position. The same is true of talented freshman P. Franks. She is a nifty, playmaking midfielder--but found herself playing outside back in the last two games. She was excellent against Belmont, but Franks is too good as a playmaker to play wide permanently, IMO--she needs to be in the middle of the field.

Our starting centerbacks worry me. I'm not sure if Pensky has got the right personnel back there, at least in one of the spots. How they play in our SEC games will be a big key to the season.

This is a team that got better last year as the season went along, and this team has even more potential. We'll see if coach Pensky can fully unlock it moving forward.

Thanks for your eval, Arm. Over the years, I've decided that there are definite benefits to easier preseason. One of them is to gain wins for a coach on the hot/warm seat.

I do think the team is better at scoring than those in past few years. I hope that translates to games vs better competition.

Thanks for your eval, Arm. Over the years, I've decided that there are definite benefits to easier preseason. One of them is to gain wins for a coach on the hot/warm seat.

I do think the team is better at scoring than those in past few years. I hope that translates to games vs better competition.

Absolutely, also - your SEC record prediction?

Schedule:

Kentucky
Auburn
@USC
@BAMA
Ole Miss
@MIZZ
Georgia
@VANDY
Florida
@ARKANSAS

We beat Bucknell 1-0 in a game that typified our non-conference schedule. By that I mean we controlled play throughout but struggled to put the ball in the net against an inferior team. I watched 20 minutes of the first half and while we had the ball a lot, we didn't look good. We gave the ball a lot with poor decisions and poor passes. If you have the ball a lot but aren't creating quality goal-scoring chances, getting shots on goal, then you have a problem--and that was the case with us in the first half, as it has been in recent years. It sounds like we were better in the second half and finally got on the board with the game-winning Bialczak goal. We have been a poor possession team in recent years; now, thanks in part to Katie Cousins and other, talented newcomers, we are a better possession team--but we're not close yet to the level needed to compete with elite teams. I missed the second half of this game because I went and watched UCLA play UVA in Charlottesville--two elite programs. I wanted to see UCLA, and they are talented--there are a LOT of good soccer players in southern California. UCLA scored a go-ahead second goal somewhat early in the second half--and they basically kept the ball for most of the last 30 minutes with wonderful passes and show patience when needed. Their technical--ball control and passing/receiving skills--are excellent. That's where we need to be if we want to really become a contender. Granted, we don't have UCLA's talent, or even UVA's, but Pensky can recruit and as I've said the Vols now have a pretty strong selection of soccer players. I'm not sure they are all in the right positions, or that Pensky plays the right formations to take advantage of his talent, but there is talent. We need a real playmaker in the middle of the field. Right now the player is M. Christy, a senior and a solid player, but I'd like to see freshman Paige Franks in that position as she has all the qualities of a play-making midfielder--and she is more athletic than Christy. Right now P. Franks is playing right outside back (she has also played some forward)--and while she is doing well, she needs to be in the midfield, IMO. We have talened midfielders who are not playing midfield, and that is an issue as our midfield could be better. Pensky likes to play a 4-3-3, with three midfielders, but I think we'd be better playing a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-4-2, packing the midfield more and taking advantage more of our midfield talent.

Sunday's Va. Tech game will be more of a test for us, and that is a good thing as after that the SEC schedule starts. I want to see some good soccer in this game--and a win, as we need to bolster our RPI, which is better than in recent years but not good because of our schedule thus far. The good news is that we are winning tight games whereas in the recent past we would sometimes not get results against even middling teams.

As for the SEC this year, frankly, I think we will put as much or more talent on the field than just anybody with the possible exception of Florida. The question is, can our talent play good, winning soccer. That remains to be seen. I think the conference is a bit down this year compared to last year, which is a good thing for us. Last year the SEC had two excellent teams (auburn and south carolina) and one good team in florida. This year I don't see an excellent SEC team except maybe florida.

Kentucky--we should win this game, at home, and absolutely need to win it.

Auburn--the tigers beat us twice last year--knocked us out of the SEC tourney--and got to the elite 8 before losing to the eventual national champion (Southern Cal). They are well coached. But they lost some very good players and are in a rebuilding mode this year. Unlike the Vols, they've so far played a very tough schedule that will benefit them in the conference. They've played and lost to three good ACC teams--clemson, duke and north carolina. They were dominated by north carolina and duke--two elite ACC programs; didn't score a goal in either game, but we don't have the game that north carolina and duke have and so I expect the tigers will be tough. But this is a game we need to win if we want to get in the NCAA tournament. The first two SEC games--at home--are crucial.

at South Carolina: This will be a tough game for us. They were elite last year but lost a lot of players and are not as good this year. Still, they have one of the best forwards in the country, McCaskill, and are very well coached and they find ways to win games. They are doing that this year. Solid team that doesn't make a lot of mistakes. McCaskill is the type of player who will take advantage of our centerbacks. Not sure if our soccer is good enough to win this away game.

at Alabama: will be another tough away game. Have not seen this team, didn't think they were all that talented, but they beat a very good Fla. State team in Tuscaloosa that has to be one of the biggest upsets of the college soccer season thus far. That no doubt as given them a ton of confidence. We can get a result (tie or win) in this game if we play well.

Ole Miss: they've scored a lot of goals against weak competition. Will be competitive but a game we need to win.

at Missouri: will be like all the away games--tough. Solid team with some speedy wingers that will challenge our defense, but not an especially good team. Like bama, I think we can get a result of a we play to our team capability.

Georgia: i think georgia was the worst team in the conference last year. They are improved but this is a must-win home game.

at Vandy: Vandy is well coached and has one of the most athletic forwards in the country. They like to play good possession soccer. They beat us last year in a game we blew by giving up a stupid goal in overtime. Overall, I don't think they are especially talented and I think we can get a result if we play smart. A winnable away game, in my mind.

Florida: good program that has pretty much handled us with their good possession game for a few years. We should be more competitive than ever with the gators in this game, and it would be huge to get a win--but I can't say that my confidence level is high here. Florida annually shows the Vols that our possession game isn't good enough.

at Arkansas: Two years Arky was one of the worst teams in the conference and then last year they had an excellent season and got in the NCAA tourney. They do /not/ play attractive soccer; the hogs are direct--they will kick the ball down the field and then send six players after it. Banshee soccer, but they put a lot of pressure on your defenders and can be tough to handle.

If we want to get in the NCAA this year, we HAVE to win all our home games and at least get a tie against florida, IMO. It is not an easy schedule as all the away games are going to be difficult. We need our defense to be stout as a lot of these games are going to be tight contests. And we need to find ways to score 2 goals. Last year we averaged two goals a game and had some nice SEC wins as a result. The year before we averaged less than 1 goal a game in the SEC and, naturally, struggled. The difference between scoring 2 and scoring 1 is huge in soccer--often the difference between winning and losing. We've struggled to score a bit in some of these non-conference games, which is worrisome, but we'll have to see how it plays out. We'll know a lot about this Vol team after the next three-four games, for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Last year the SEC had two excellent teams (auburn and south carolina) and one good team in florida. This year I don't see an excellent SEC team except maybe florida.

at South Carolina: This will be a tough game for us. They were elite last year but lost a lot of players and are not as good this year. Still, they have one of the best forwards in the country, McCaskill, and are very well coached and they find ways to win games. They are doing that this year. Solid team that doesn't make a lot of mistakes. McCaskill is the type of player who will take advantage of our centerbacks. Not sure if our soccer is good enough to win this away game.

South Carolina is still a top 10 ranked team this season, at 7th nationally currently. They are 6-1 with their only loss a 3-2 outcome at current 17th-ranked Wake Forest. They recently beat then-4th ranked Clemson on Clemson's home pitch 1-0, and also have wins against quality opponents Notre Dame and Michigan. They will most likely move back into the top 5 when the next rankings come out.

Florida is currently ranked 9th nationally. They are 5-1 and was once ranked as high as 2nd before suffering an upset 1-0 loss to un-ranked Washington in Seattle. Florida has an impressive win over Stanford, who is currently ranked 2nd but was ranked 5th and moved up thanks to UF's and Virginia's (once ranked 3rd) recent losses. UF did have a match scheduled last Friday with 13th-ranked Florida State, but it was cancelled due to oncoming Hurricane Irma.

I would still place USC alongside UF as the top two teams to beat in the SEC. Can't really be sure which one is the better until they face off, but it won't be until the final conference match of the season....

Last edited:
5-8 in SEC Play

Only 10 games, unless you are counting on 3 of our Ws being in Orange Beach, lol.

I've got them at 6-2-2 or 5-2-3, beating UK, Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss, Mizzou. For me, the up-in-the-air game is UGA. I know they haven't been great but Pensky's teams have had trouble winning big SEC games on Friday night. We have shown enough offense to beat UF and USC but I'm not buying in on beating them yet.

SEC+ beats not seeing the game, but it's a low budget broadcast. So much more fun watching the soccer in person. Crowd gets into it.

I am not close enough to go to any games but I watch every one that is available and at times will use the live stats. Always have and always will I guess.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a promising team but the SEC is a tough league and most games are tight (true of most soccer games) and often a couple of plays that decide the outcome. We don't have a player with the ideal skill set in every position--but we put a lot of solid or better soccer players on the field and we have more quality depth than we've had in a LONG time. This team has the potential to make the NCAA tourney this year but it's not going to be easy because of our non-conference schedule: We played a bunch of low RPI teams and so, even though we're unbeaten, Tennessee's RPI is not particularly good right now. It's OK to play some weak teams early in the season--everybody does--but we should have played more than one game against a respectable opponent like Va. Tech. Now, we have to have a good SEC season--a .500 record in the conference is not going to cut it. These first two games at home are crucial--and beyond that we have to get a result (tie or win) against either florida or south carolina, which will help boost our RPI. HAVE TO. Those are two of the best teams in the conference and they've already got a much higher RPI than we do by virtue of their early-season schedule and wins. I think we are more than capable of beating both florida and south carolina this year--but they are also capable of beating us. For now, let's just beat kentucky this sunday.

By the way, a lot of div. 1 and SEC soccer games can be seen on Watch Espn, via lifestream, if they are not on the SEC network or one of the ESPN tv channels. If you have a high-speed cable provider, you are good to go--and if you miss the livestream they show them on replay too, for a few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Sad thing is some people only support certain sports not everything UT.

Lots of people support all. It's just hard to be at everything. Plus you might support something, but if you don't understand it, it's hard to be involved. I support the softball team and think Karen and Ralph are great. I'm very proud of how they represent the university. That said, I do not understand the game and find it totally boring; oh how I miss Jeff! I was trying to learn😞. Now I find soccer very interesting, but for years I have tried to explain it to people who find it totally confusing and very erratic. Can't dis them just becase they have different preferences or lack of data.

GBO!

Reactions: 2 people
This is a promising team but the SEC is a tough league and most games are tight (true of most soccer games) and often a couple of plays that decide the outcome. We don't have a player with the ideal skill set in every position--but we put a lot of solid or better soccer players on the field and we have more quality depth than we've had in a LONG time. This team has the potential to make the NCAA tourney this year but it's not going to be easy because of our non-conference schedule: We played a bunch of low RPI teams and so, even though we're unbeaten, Tennessee's RPI is not particularly good right now. It's OK to play some weak teams early in the season--everybody does--but we should have played more than one game against a respectable opponent like Va. Tech. Now, we have to have a good SEC season--a .500 record in the conference is not going to cut it. These first two games at home are crucial--and beyond that we have to get a result (tie or win) against either florida or south carolina, which will help boost our RPI. HAVE TO. Those are two of the best teams in the conference and they've already got a much higher RPI than we do by virtue of their early-season schedule and wins. I think we are more than capable of beating both florida and south carolina this year--but they are also capable of beating us. For now, let's just beat kentucky this sunday.

By the way, a lot of div. 1 and SEC soccer games can be seen on Watch Espn, via lifestream, if they are not on the SEC network or one of the ESPN tv channels. If you have a high-speed cable provider, you are good to go--and if you miss the livestream they show them on replay too, for a few days.

You probably just saw the other posts in the other thread, but our RPI opened up at #11. I was under the impression it was going to be weak, too. Guess not.

Lots of people support all. It's just hard to be at everything. Plus you might support something, but if you don't understand it, it's hard to be involved. I support the softball team and think Karen and Ralph are great. I'm very proud of how they represent the university. That said, I do not understand the game and find it totally boring; oh how I miss Jeff! I was trying to learn😞. Now I find soccer very interesting, but for years I have tried to explain it to people who find it totally confusing and very erratic. Can't dis them just becase they have different preferences or lack of data.

GBO!

Come to a match with us this season and we can develop your understanding and love for the game.

Come to a match with us this season and we can develop your understanding and love for the game.

I'd love to. Jeff was explaining the game to me and I had hoped to come to a game when he got a chance to attend. I still worry about him not posting. At least I know about crow hopping now:).

VN Store

Back