Russell plans to average double-double her senior year

NoBackBoard

In a recent story here,

Russell says she has no regrets on returning for her senior year (with later departures of DD, AM & TC) because she realizes she needs to improve her game if she wants to be successful at the pro level.

Her goals this year are to average a double-double, improve her free throw-shooting and pack on some muscle.

Very nice to see her setting some lofty goals and I'll be sure to see how she does at the end of the season.

Russell has increased her scoring, rebounding, and free-throw shooting in each year at UT. Last year, she averaged 16.1 points, 9.7 rebounds and shot 67% from the free-throw line.

Can't wait until the season begins!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
so she has a goal...like the positive outlook...get it girl...and

GO LADY VOLS!

I think this is her year to be a big star. She will have some help inside with Green and KK this should help her in not having to play so many minutes.

"It's a lot tougher than people think," Russell said. "Social media's so big nowadays. Everybody's tweeting you, writing you on Instagram expecting you to do this and that when you haven't even played a college game before.

the above statement is beyond my comprehension as an older adult. For me the choice of how I spend my free time is my own. However, I am not judging the response as Wrong, but beyond my ability to compute. And my wife and I had a great dinner out this week and I had no inclination to take a picture of my meal and post it on this board for you all to be impressed. (smile)

i like russell but she is soft!!im use to physical posts .she should have that attiude when she was a freshman!!she has great shot nis smooth but say again if she not willling to push back---then same results

Reactions: 2 people
In a recent story here,

Russell says she has no regrets on returning for her senior year (with later departures of DD, AM & TC) because she realizes she needs to improve her game if she wants to be successful at the pro level.

Her goals this year are to average a double-double, improve her free throw-shooting and pack on some muscle.

Very nice to see her setting some lofty goals and I'll be sure to see how she does at the end of the season.

Russell has increased her scoring, rebounding, and free-throw shooting in each year at UT. Last year, she averaged 16.1 points, 9.7 rebounds and shot 67% from the free-throw line.

Can't wait until the season begins!

I too can't wait until the season begins!

Cedes could and can lead the team to victories. I'll be cheering her on!

Despite CHW I am hoping for the best and a fun exciting season.

GOLadyVols!:)

Reactions: 1 person
She nearly averaged a double double the last two years so I am not sure there is any real way she wouldn't this year. I suppose if she got less playing time maybe, but I doubt it. With them loosing like 40% of their rebounding she likely will have to rebound a little bit more until the freshman get up to speed.

She sees herself as a finesse player and with her length (she should be able to see over everyone) I always wondered if maybe they would help her become a better passer this year. I don't expect that since she is the focus of the offense and I doubt the staff wants her passing but it seems like that might be a way for them to get easy baskets, back door cuts and plays designed specifically to have her pass from the high post area. She should be able to drop the ball right where the guards & wings would need it for an easy layup.

She nearly averaged a double double the last two years so I am not sure there is any real way she wouldn't this year. I suppose if she got less playing time maybe, but I doubt it. With them loosing like 40% of their rebounding she likely will have to rebound a little bit more until the freshman get up to speed.

She sees herself as a finesse player and with her length (she should be able to see over everyone) I always wondered if maybe they would help her become a better passer this year. I don't expect that since she is the focus of the offense and I doubt the staff wants her passing but it seems like that might be a way for them to get easy baskets, back door cuts and plays designed specifically to have her pass from the high post area. She should be able to drop the ball right where the guards & wings would need it for an easy layup.

Russell is already a good passer from the top of the key, on the double, etc... the coaches say she is like having a second point used on the floor. What they need to do is roll her to the basket before because she cuts and takes the shot when need be and passé when she needs too.

Russell is already a good passer from the top of the key, on the double, etc... the coaches say she is like having a second point used on the floor. What they need to do is roll her to the basket before because she cuts and takes the shot when need be and passé when she needs too.
If the coaches really believe that is the truth then in her 3 years of play they haven't used that strength at all. Her A/O numbers don't seem to indicate that is or was a strength coming in. There isn't a whole lot of movement in their offense that has a purpose. It's clear Russell is the focal point but from what I've seen and I've watched nearly all of their games, that is mainly based around her posting up for lay ups and hook shots.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with that I just wonder about this move to a motion offense and what her role will be if what is common place for them stays the same. Why any defender would follow Russell out on a pick and roll makes no sense to me. She will get her double double avg. She will still play about 30 mins a game so all she really has to work on is her free throws.

If the coaches really believe that is the truth then in her 3 years of play they haven't used that strength at all. Her A/O numbers don't seem to indicate that is or was a strength coming in. There isn't a whole lot of movement in their offense that has a purpose. It's clear Russell is the focal point but from what I've seen and I've watched nearly all of their games, that is mainly based around her posting up for lay ups and hook shots.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with that I just wonder about this move to a motion offense and what her role will be if what is common place for them stays the same. Why any defender would follow Russell out on a pick and roll makes no sense to me. She will get her double double avg. She will still play about 30 mins a game so all she really has to work on is her free throws.

Uhhhh what else do you want your 6ft 6 center doing if she can score points with lay ups and hook shots ? I don't want her on the permitwr shooting jumpers? I do agree about more movement on offense and maybe that will happen this year. You're just quoting what she said about her FT %. She addressed that she needed to be a better free throw shooter because of the points that get left on the board. If you watch any of the clips and see Jaime passing to Mercedes off the pick and roll and USA Bball did the same thing with Russell. So the defender can stay home but she can hit the pull up 10-12 footer as well as kick it out to the open shooter.

Uhhhh what else do you want your 6ft 6 center doing if she can score points with lay ups and hook shots ? I don't want her on the permitwr shooting jumpers? I do agree about more movement on offense and maybe that will happen this year. You're just quoting what she said about her FT %. She addressed that she needed to be a better free throw shooter because of the points that get left on the board. If you watch any of the clips and see Jaime passing to Mercedes off the pick and roll and USA Bball did the same thing with Russell. So the defender can stay home but she can hit the pull up 10-12 footer as well as kick it out to the open shooter.

I would want my 6'6" center to become a better passer. If you are getting most of the defensive attention as she will, along with Nared I can't really find a reason for the staff not to want her to be a better passer. The more you can do the more valuable you are. More versatility never hurt anyone.

She will have plenty of options to pass to who will want to take the shot this season so when she gets double and triple teamed those passing skills will come in handy. My point was that her getting 1 more rebound per game (I actually think she would need less than 1 more per game to avg a double double) than she got last year likely isn't going to make a big difference and will almost happen by default just because of them losing 4 players. I was saying that the double double is going to happen and I don't even think she would have to put any extra effort into it.

However, her shooting a better FT percentage will be useful (as she stated) and if she could pass better maybe she could help the team generate more points that way. With the new 3 second rules there will be more movement period but the staff seems to really want the ball to be touched my Russell every play so I believe they should also work on passing.

Would the LV staff be comfortable with Russell @ the foul line sending a cutting guard a bounce pass? If not, that is something they could work on. She could go #1 next spring I say send her to the WNBA with as many skills as possible.

I should add. If Cedes spend most of her time in the post she will most certainly get a double double. But if she is out on the perimeter forget about it.

This is a misuse of Russell. Need her closer to the basket.... and implement offense in that manner. I am still not sure we have a stated offensive scheme at all.... Do not pull her away from the basket.... does not make logical sense... she also does not have the hands to accept and distribute the ball from out that way.

This is a misuse of Russell. Need her closer to the basket.... and implement offense in that manner. I am still not sure we have a stated offensive scheme at all.... Do not pull her away from the basket.... does not make logical sense... she also does not have the hands to accept and distribute the ball from out that way.

Respectfully agree to disagree she has good hands (hence her catching a lot of the passes she received last year). I agree kee her near the basket. I said on pick and rolls with screens set at the top of the key she can make the right read if she needs to roll to the basket and take shot or kick it out to a shooter.

Respectfully agree to disagree she has good hands (hence her catching a lot of the passes she received last year). I agree kee her near the basket. I said on pick and rolls with screens set at the top of the key she can make the right read if she needs to roll to the basket and take shot or kick it out to a shooter.

Harrison and Graves were recent examples of posts with great hands. You throw the ball in their zip code, and they could snare it in. Russell fumbled a lot of entry passes because she has frying pans for hands, which is disappointing for a 6'6 player. She does a lot of things well, but making herself an easy target to pass to is not one of those things.

Well lets all be hopeful for the season

Harrison and Graves were recent examples of posts with great hands. You throw the ball in their zip code, and they could snare it in. Russell fumbled a lot of entry passes because she has frying pans for hands, which is disappointing for a 6'6 player. She does a lot of things well, but making herself an easy target to pass to is not one of those things.

She outscores/rebounds both of them their junior years. It's not just me saying these things but also USA bball coaches saying she is a load in the post. Again we don't have to agree but I am pretty sure one thing you know is it's better to have her than not because if she went pro this team would def have been worse off!

Reactions: 3 people
She outscores/rebounds both of them their junior years. It's not just me saying these things but also USA bball coaches saying she is a load in the post. Again we don't have to agree but I am pretty sure one thing you know is it's better to have her than not because if she went pro this team would def have been worse off!

I never said she wasn't a load in the post, as she should be. She's 6'6. When she gets the ball in her spot, she is much more difficult to stop than Izzy or Bashaara.

At the end of last season, I was more worried about her leaving for the WNBA than Diamond because she would be pretty much impossible to replace with anyone on the roster or a freshman. Her size alone makes Tennessee a dangerous team. . But she was still only 2nd team SEC in her best season. If she had Izzy's hands, she would have easily been an AA.

Last edited:
I hope Mercedes has acquired stickier hands, and that our other players can throw the ball so that she can just go up. When she brings the ball down before shooting, there were lots of problems. She doesn't need to dribble--too many were stolen.

I also hope she comes in with a grittier attitude. She is a big old girl. She doesn't need to play like she is 5'5" and 120 pounds. I'd like to see her scare some opponents. Maybe an attitude like, "Bring it on!" and "That is close enough!"

Last edited:
Hopeful we will be! This coaching staff is totally inept and have been since Holly took the reins!

Yes I agree.... but I try to stay positive.... many times when I put my analytical commentary down.... there are many on the forum to hit back hard.... so i have adjusted and softened over time.... and just go along with the flow....

It is all serendipitous, and perhaps something good will happen... broken down piece by piece relative to what is necessary for us to climb into top echelon again, certain things must happen, not many of which I see being currently implemented or being planned for....

Reactions: 2 people
I never said she wasn't a load in the post, as she should be. She's 6'6. When she gets the ball in her spot, she is much more difficult to stop than Izzy or Bashaara.

At the end of last season, I was more worried about her leaving for the WNBA than Diamond because she would be pretty much impossible to replace with anyone on the roster or a freshman. Her size alone makes Tennessee a dangerous team. . But she was still only 2nd team SEC in her best season. If she had Izzy's hands, she would have easily been an AA.

Kinda felt like Russell would have better shot at AA or 1st Team SEC if team had better results. Also, we had 3 primary scoring options. I think - despite the stuff she could improve - that Russell is one of the best post players in the country.

Kinda felt like Russell would have better shot at AA or 1st Team SEC if team had better results. Also, we had 3 primary scoring options. I think - despite the stuff she could improve - that Russell is one of the best post players in the country.

I don't disagree that Mercedes is very good. I just don't agree that she has great hands.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back