Holly's 8/28/17 Presser

teacherdean

I listen to Holly's 8/28/17 Presser today. When she was asked what the team needed, in order to get better, she said defense and leadership. She said very little about offense which has been a big issue for a while. She should be very concerned over the team's offense, however, the presser did not give that impression. This team has played some good defense but scoring has been a big issue. We were beaten by several teams, some we should have beaten without a problem, because our offense went to hell in a handcart.

I agree with Holly on the need for better leadership. Holly said for the last few years the team has had leadership issues. A lot of that falls on the coaching staff and not all on the players.

I really hope for the best, however, Holly was not impressive or encouraging. Part of that is she does not interview very well and exhibits very little excitement. However, what will count is how well she can coach up the team.

Reactions: 2 people
I listen to Holly's 8/28/17 Presser today. When she was asked what the team needed, in order to get better, she said defense and leadership. She said very little about offense which has been a big issue for a while. She should be very concerned over the team's offense, however, the presser did not give that impression. This team has played some good defense but scoring has been a big issue. We were beaten by several teams, some we should have beaten without a problem, because our offense went to hell in a handcart.

I agree with Holly on the need for better leadership. Holly said for the last few years the team has had leadership issues. A lot of that falls on the coaching staff and not all on the players.

I really hope for the best, however, Holly was not impressive or encouraging. Part of that is she does not interview very well and exhibits very little excitement. However, what will count is how well she can coach up the team.

only thing she didn't mention which been huge problem was rebounding n offensive rebounding which was what pat preached.we won 8 titles n rebounding was key.coach pat said don't let offensive effect your defensive.rebounding is all bout hustle

Then this team is in trouble because if there is one certainty of the Lady Vols at this time it's that they have a clueless coach. Hopefully she resigns or is finally terminated after this year and a real coach can come in and get things back on the right track.

Reactions: 5 people
You're never going to learn anything from a Warlick press conference. It's all soft public relations. This is the case with most collegiate press conferences, all sports, but it is particularly true with Warlick--and the "reporters," if you can call them that, are all too lame to ask any tough questions. People who cover college programs are scared of irritating a coach or athletic department press staff and then having their access cut off or some such, and so tend to ask only softball questions. Holly says the same thing every year in preseason--and will again as the season approaches: The players have been in the gym, working on their games; everyone's attitude is good--and the team needs to focus on its defense--even though every year for the last, oh, 15 seasons, the offense has been the most consistent problem. The game is not the same as when Summitt was in her prime; this isn't 1985 or 1990. You need to be good defensively, and reobound, but you've also got to be good offensively to be a good team. We're not going to beat good teams 55-52 as we did 25 years ago. We're not going to dominate teams with defense and rebounding. You've got to be efficiently offensively, too, and you've got to make threes--and not just two 3s a game, but more like 5 or 6, at least. That's a reality that our coaches have never really grasped.

Reactions: 12 people
You're never going to learn anything from a Warlick press conference. It's all soft public relations. This is the case with most collegiate press conferences, all sports, but it is particularly true with Warlick--and the "reporters," if you can call them that, are all too lame to ask any tough questions. People who cover college programs are scared of irritating a coach or athletic department press staff and then having their access cut off or some such, and so tend to ask only softball questions. Holly says the same thing every year in preseason--and will again as the season approaches: The players have been in the gym, working on their games; everyone's attitude is good--and the team needs to focus on its defense--even though every year for the last, oh, 15 seasons, the offense has been the most consistent problem. The game is not the same as when Summitt was in her prime; this isn't 1985 or 1990. You need to be good defensively, and reobound, but you've also got to be good offensively to be a good team. We're not going to beat good teams 55-52 as we did 25 years ago. We're not going to dominate teams with defense and rebounding. You've got to be efficiently offensively, too, and you've got to make threes--and not just two 3s a game, but more like 5 or 6, at least. That's a reality that our coaches have never really grasped.

Last year's champs didn't grasp it either - zero threes made in the title game, three made in the semi-final.

Reactions: 5 people

what look 96-97 teams n 07-08,we won defensive n rebounding.that wins games still to this day.

The game is not the same as when Summitt was in her prime; this isn't 1985 or 1990. You need to be good defensively, and reobound, but you've also got to be good offensively to be a good team. We're not going to beat good teams 55-52 as we did 25 years ago. We're not going to dominate teams with defense and rebounding. You've got to be efficiently offensively, too, and you've got to make threes--and not just two 3s a game, but more like 5 or 6, at least. That's a reality that our coaches have never really grasped.

That's the sad reality. Because as much as people want to beat the "defense and rebounding" mantra as the magic formula, UConn teams can defend, rebound and always have a very potent offense. And average teams that Tennessee plays look like defensive powerhouses because it doesn't take much for them to stymie the Tennessee offense. While it's nice to be able to know you can rely on your defense to make a critical stop, it's equally nice to know that you can score when you need to, and Tennessee needs to figure that 2nd part out.

Reactions: 8 people
Then this team is in trouble because if there is one certainty of the Lady Vols at this time it's that they have a clueless coach. Hopefully she resigns or is finally terminated after this year and a real coach can come in and get things back on the right track.

I know it might be a waste of my time, but I am hoping Holly receives a coaching epiphany and if possible coach Gordon have a positive affect upon the team, since she was involved in the championship run. Otherwise, once again, we will be stuck between a rock and a hard place.:cray:No matter, I will still support the team.

Reactions: 4 people
it's not like Holly works a presser, it's more like I'll muddle through and get it over with...well, we'll know more when the bodies hit the floor...believe with what's coming in, this season could be really fun to watch, and

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!

it's not like Holly works a presser, it's more like I'll muddle through and get it over with...well, we'll know more when the bodies hit the floor...believe with what's coming in, this season could be really fun to watch, and

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!

You can rest assured that if the team this year is a roaring success, or even just "fun to watch", it will be in spite, and not because, of Holly Warlick and her staff, according to the majority of the posters in this thread!

Jim

Reactions: 8 people
what look 96-97 teams n 07-08,we won defensive n rebounding.that wins games still to this day.

The 97 squad scored 91 points in the EE game against UConn (who scored 81), not exactly defensive success there.

The 08 team had 5 senior starters during the tournament and did win through defense.

Both teams had transformative players. Nared and Russell are both good but neither are even close to Holdsclaw and Parker. It remains to be seen if any of the freshmen have that kind of talent.

I always believed HW should be back this season and I hope she is successful. The LV fans have been a little trigger happy with regards to her remaining head coach. However, even her strongest defenders should recognize if this season doesn't turn out well it will be difficult to keep the program headed in a good direction under her leadership.

only thing she didn't mention which been huge problem was rebounding n offensive rebounding which was what pat preached.we won 8 titles n rebounding was key.coach pat said don't let offensive effect your defensive.rebounding is all bout hustle
I believe Pat's worst rebounding team won one of those 8 titles. Just sayin.

Reactions: 1 person

Fahr Holly!

I'll stop when Holly's fahrd.

GoLadyVols! :)

Obviously, that is your desire. You've posted over 1200 times on VN in 2 years, and almost all of those are a Holly bash. No matter the thread, no matter your subject, you blame everything on Holly and how horrible she is.

Did you wanna ride on her motorcycle and she said no?

Just change your screen name to HOLLY HATER then you could make your agenda clear without struggling to weave awkwardly "it's Holly's fault" into every post.

Lol. Never give up hope. You'll get another chance to ride. VROOOOM! VROOOOM!

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back