Will Kortney Dunbar Be At Par With The Team?

proudone

I don't live close by nor do I have any connections as to what's been going on in the gym this summer, so help me out, please! Has Kortney worked on her game this summer? Is she committed to the work required for her to really contribute? With only 10 players, it's an easy assumption the team will need her to be at the top of her game. Any observations?

I don't live close by nor do I have any connections as to what's been going on in the gym this summer, so help me out, please! Has Kortney worked on her game this summer? Is she committed to the work required for her to really contribute? With only 10 players, it's an easy assumption the team will need her to be at the top of her game. Any observations?

The bigger question is will she be put in the game to display her skills other than when we need 3's or to mop up the game? I live in the St. Louis area, near the area in Illinois where she played, she was a highly skilled high school player. I haven't seen her being developed to the next level. For some reason, resently, Lady Vol players seem to be short on development.

With the talent we have, I think Kortney can contribute but she will have a lot of competition seeing significant time on the floor.

Reactions: 4 people
Someone stated on this forum that she has not been released from the doctors to play. Not sure if the issue is her foot or something else. I would really like for her to get in the mix.

I just found out that she has had foot problems serious enough to keep her off the court for the past two years, which explains why she hasn't been able to play. Sure hope she gets healed up enough to show her stuff!

To teacherdean: I don't know why you insist on badmouthing the coaches--it quickly became obvious you don't know jack about Kortney's situation. Why would you be so nasty with no good reason? Shame on you.

Reactions: 11 people
I just found out that she has had foot problems serious enough to keep her off the court for the past two years, which explains why she hasn't been able to play. Sure hope she gets healed up enough to show her stuff!

To teacherdean: I don't know why you insist on badmouthing the coaches--it quickly became obvious you don't know jack about Kortney's situation. Why would you be so nasty with no good reason? Shame on you.

It's teacherdean!

Reactions: 3 people

The truth hurts. :banghead2:

Thanks teacherdean I too had the same questions about Kortney. I hope she'll be able to play in her final season with her Lady Vols. I enjoyed watching her play in preseason a couple of season ago. Her, Nia Moore and Alexa Middleton were fun to watch because they played phenomenal.

GOKortneyDunbar!:yes:

Reactions: 1 person

Exactly what have you seen where there has been a lot of player development on this team? Apparently you have either not been watching the LV's development or You know jack less than I know. Shame on you for trying to be a butt hole. I wasn't trying to be nasty to anyone and I don't recall saying anything nasty about Kortney. If you take it that way it is on you.

Reactions: 3 people
Kortney will likely be much more able to contribute consistently compared to last year when she had some serious foot issues.

I think it's likely we see her play stretch 4 at times. She has to be better on the defensive end but a well implemented zone defense (2-3 or 3-2) would do wonders to cover up some the likely holes on the defensive end we will see with a young backcourt and mismatches we will see with some quicker teams.

This is a completely different team compared to the last two years. Nared, Hayes, Russell and Davis have all been impressing onlookers in the summer from what I've heard. Dunbar, Green and Westbrook haven't been viewed as much due to limitations from injury recovery and a late arrival regarding Westbrook. We replace 5 players (1 of which sat out) with 5 newcomers. Different mindset and different chemistry that could work out in favor of better team... or it could mean more struggle. I remain optimistic.

I'm most interested to see if Harris is able to carve out a role. She has the tools to be a good defensive weapon and people close to the program rave about how hard she works and how consistent she is at putting in the work outside of set times for training and practice.

Reactions: 8 people

Well now you have "went "way ahead on nastiness ....congrats .:crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
Kortney will likely be much more able to contribute consistently compared to last year when she had some serious foot issues.

I think it's likely we see her play stretch 4 at times. She has to be better on the defensive end but a well implemented zone defense (2-3 or 3-2) would do wonders to cover up some the likely holes on the defensive end we will see with a young backcourt and mismatches we will see with some quicker teams.

This is a completely different team compared to the last two years. Nared, Hayes, Russell and Davis have all been impressing onlookers in the summer from what I've heard. Dunbar, Green and Westbrook haven't been viewed as much due to limitations from injury recovery and a late arrival regarding Westbrook. We replace 5 players (1 of which sat out) with 5 newcomers. Different mindset and different chemistry that could work out in favor of better team... or it could mean more struggle. I remain optimistic.

I'm most interested to see if Harris is able to carve out a role. She has the tools to be a good defensive weapon and people close to the program rave about how hard she works and how consistent she is at putting in the work outside of set times for training and practice.
I hope for the best and will be looking for it in Cancun early on in the season.....I will attend the tourney.But ,I fear for the worst .With only 10 players and with 4 freshmen,any attrition does not bode well .....add to that the coaching and lack of development of the other 6 members of the squad and the future does not look bright ....I fear another double digit losing season and the prospect of not making the NCAA Tourney for the 1st time in history.Having said all that ,I truly hope I am wrong and they indeed do make the NCAA Tourney ....imo that would be a major accomplishment for this team

Someone stated on this forum that she has not been released from the doctors to play. Not sure if the issue is her foot or something else. I would really like for her to get in the mix.

From day one, I always see Dunbar as a star,both shooting & everything if she was with a rite coach.

From day one, I always see Dunbar as a star,both shooting & everything if she was with a rite coach.

Dunbar ain't no STAR player even if Red Auerbach or Larry Bird, or Bill Russell, or that college coach from the Northeast were her coach, and everyone knows it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I love Kortney and I love her attitude. No matter how much she has been on the bench you don't see pouting. She is a wonderful support for her teammates.

Reactions: 10 people
The bigger question is will she be put in the game to display her skills other than when we need 3's or to mop up the game? I live in the St. Louis area, near the area in Illinois where she played, she was a highly skilled high school player. I haven't seen her being developed to the next level. For some reason, resently, Lady Vol players seem to be short on development.

With the talent we have, I think Kortney can contribute but she will have a lot of competition seeing significant time on the floor.

So, which is it? The coaches need to put KD on the court so she can display her formidable skills or that she has to earn her time on the court in competition with other talented players on the team.

And if KD does not get a lot of minutes, is it because the coaches have failed to utilize the formidable skills which she displayed in HS (and playing against lesser caliber comp.) or that she was simply not better than other players who had earned their time?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
If KD is healthy, I would love to see her start, especially the early games:

Hayes or Westbrook
MeMe
KD
Jamie
Mercedes

Why didnt she redshirt ?

So, which is it? The coaches need to put KD on the court so she can display her formidable skills or that she has to earn her time on the court in competition with other talented players on the team.

And if KD does not get a lot of minutes, is it because the coaches have failed to utilize the formidable skills which she displayed in HS (and playing against lesser caliber comp.) or that she was simply not better than other players who had earned their time?

Many times players in high school do not live up to their college billing. There are different reasons for that. It can be based upon high school competition or in some cases they hit a ceiling and simply do not get any better. Sometimes, no matter if we like it or not, evening coaching staffs do not have the skill set to develop their players past their high school level. Holly may be an exceptional developer of talent, but have players that just do not get it. In Kortney's situation I assume that foot issues might be part of the problem, however, our players just have not played up to their potential unless they all hit the ceiling of their abilities. The last five years we have had teams, on paper, that were at least top 10 teams.

Many times players in high school do not live up to their college billing. There are different reasons for that. It can be based upon high school competition or in some cases they hit a ceiling and simply do not get any better. Sometimes, no matter if we like it or not, evening coaching staffs do not have the skill set to develop their players past their high school level. Holly may be an exceptional developer of talent, but have players that just do not get it. In Kortney's situation I assume that foot issues might be part of the problem, however, our players just have not played up to their potential unless they all hit the ceiling of their abilities. The last five years we have had teams, on paper, that were at least top 10 teams.

And the Lvs have had some top ten caliber teams in those years. But you have factor in injuries.Izzy came a long way from her freshman season but her AA candidate senior season ended with her ACL injury. Middleton has been on a steep improvement curve but we had the transfer saga. Mercedes has come a long way as well though some of that improvement also had to do with overcoming her foot problems. Nared has become a much better player. The list goes on and the idea that LV players don't develop does not really hold up to scrutiny. Graves might be the one player who hit a ceiling and did not seem to get much better in her final two seasons.

I don't think the teams struggles over the last two seasons have been because individuals players have not gotten better--though a lack of consistent outside shooting is one area that does seem to be a problem--but rather that the team as whole has not gelled except for some occasional stretches, such as the run to the elite 8 two seasons ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back