Vol Soccer: Important Season Ahead....

armchair

The UT soccer teams starts its season on Friday, believe it or not, with a game against Navy, followed by a Sunday game against George Mason in Fairfax, Virginia. This is Coach Brian Pensky's 6th season as head of the program, and I think it is an important one if he expects to get the Vols back to the top of the conference and, crucially, back into the NCAA Tournament, which we haven't made in a while.

Pensky can recruit. Our previous coach, Angela Kelly, who has been struggling at Texas and lucky to still have her job, left a pretty bare cupboard in terms of talent. Pensky has rebuilt the talent base, and this year's team looks to be his deepest yet. There are some good players, but many are young, and it remains to be seen whether the coach can turn a skilled group into a cohesive, powerful whole. Last year's team had a miserable start and then came on strong in the second half of the year, but didn't have the RPI ranking or key victories needed to get into the NCAA.

Will this team fare better? It's hard to say. Led by sophomore Katie Cousins, who started for the U.S. Women's Under 20 National Team in the last year's World Cup, the Vols have got lot of good midfielders, which is nice, but with the departure of New Zealand international Hannah Wilkinson the team lacks an established scorer up front. That's not a good thing. To help, Pensky has brought in a Jamaican international named Khadija ("Bunny") Shaw. She was a first-team JUCO All America last year at a school in Florida, and she has has the same size (5'11") and athleticism of Wilkinson, and will be counted on, perhaps heavily, to put the ball in the net for the Vols. After Shaw we have half a dozen players who are capable of scoring--and they need to if the Vols aim to compete with South Carolina and Auburn and Florida--the three best teams in the conference last year. (South Carolina lost a bunch of its best players and won't be as good this year, and neither will Auburn; Florida lost its best player and scorer as well, so this is a year when the Vols could make some hay if they play well and get results--a tie, or better, a win--in at least two of the three games against the above SEC teams.) Senior Ariel Kupritz will probably play at lot at one of the other forward positions. Pensky obviously likes Kupritz's work rate and speed, but she's not been very productive the last couple of years and needs to player better and smarter and help generate goals.

Defensively, there is talk that we'll be better than last year, which is interesting given that our most experienced centerback, Kathryn Culhane, a 5th year senior, decided to quit the sport to concentrate on her academics. That's kind of the way it has gone for Pensky--one step forward and then there are player departures for one reason or another and its one step back. Culhane wasn't the strongest or most athletic player on the team, certainly, but she played a key position and knew what she was doing. I don't know who will start in her spot this Friday; nor do I know who will start at left back, replacing the graduated Emily Morrow. It's possible that the new players at those positions will be upgrades--we'll have to wait and see.

Tennessee's out-of-conference opponents are relatively weak, which will hurt our RPI. We play Bucknell, George Mason and Virginia Tech (from the ACC), all of whom had a better RPI than the Vols did last year, but SC and Auburn are both playing North Carolina and Clemson, from the ACC, and Florida is playing powerhouses Stanford and Florida State--so we are ALREADY behind in RPI to those three SEC schools before playing a freakin' game. What this means is that we pretty much have to win all or nearly all of our out-of-conference games, and have a good SEC season as well if we want to get in the NCAA tourney--and we want to get into the NCAA tourney. The three games I mentioned above--Bucknell, Va. Tech and George Mason--will be particularly important.

Much will depend on Pensky's personnel and position decisions. I think he'll play a lot of kids, at least early, and see who produces. There are only two seniors on the team, but there are a number of sophs and juniors with talent, athleticism and experience, along with some skilled freshmen, and if the team can develop some chemistry and play solid possession soccer, this could be a dynamic team. Those are big ifs--but excited to get this season underway and see this group of Vols perform.

Reactions: 5 people
excellent post ac...agree...we're got some pretty good talent and Pensky is a good coach who relates well with the team...it's tough here...this is not a hot bed for soccer...think he's doing a good job and believe there are good things to come...:crossfingers:...:)

GO LADY VOLS SOCCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's good, but I prefer watching the volleyball gals with the really skimpy outfits.

so, if the teams exchange outfits...you'll watch then...I'll talk to John...I'm sure he'll be receptive to that idea...:)

GO LADY VOLS SOCCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
The main recruiting base for Pensky is the mid-atlantic. I think that is why he is playing in this area. Last year they played Liberty (for Cousins) and Virginia Tech.

so, if the teams exchange outfits...you'll watch then...I'll talk to John...I'm sure he'll be receptive to that idea...:)

I don't care if they have to be poured into second skin uniforms that are so revealing than the girls at the strip joints are eventually mistaken for the amish, it's still soccer. I would love to support them, but my snoring would be an undue distraction. Just the nature of the game.

But if one or two of the players walked up and nicely asked me to come, I would probably show up. If it works for 10 year old girl scouts selling cookies, it would work for 20 year old athletes. But somebody keep me awake, or no tree is safe.

I'm normally about as interested in watching soccer as I am in watching volleyball, but I'll watch :wassup: just about anything involving scantily-clad gals.

I'm normally about as interested in watching soccer as I am in watching volleyball, but I'll watch :wassup: just about anything involving scantily-clad gals.

:eek:lol:...Ed...you're special...:thumbsup:

GO LADY VOLS IN ANY SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main recruiting base for Pensky is the mid-atlantic. I think that is why he is playing in this area. Last year they played Liberty (for Cousins) and Virginia Tech.

Virginia, Maryland, PA are good recruiting areas for us--and there are a lot of good soccer players in the mid-Atlantic--and so Pensky smartly wants to keep our exposure high in the region. But he's also got new commits from Illinois, Florida and the latest lives in plays in the Las Vegas area.

A lot of the top programs now recruit international players, too, a trend for years, as they tend have some quasi-pro club or national team experience. Wilkinson, our best player when her knees were in good shape (and the were only in good shape last year), has long been a starter on the New Zealand women's National Team. Florida State and West Virginia, two of the best programs in recent years, have been loaded with foreign players, and as a result some traditional powers like North Carolina and others, have been forced to recruit internationally.

You have to appreciate soccer for skills of the players. Some Americans find it difficult to like because they are used to a lot of scoring and because we have a bunch of already established sports in this country. But when you watch good teams play and move the ball, your appreciation will grow. The U.S. women's national team is, of course, quite popular.

We actually were one of the top two soccer programs in the SEC for a few years under the previous coach, Angela Kelly, who played for North Carolina and won four straight national titles. She did a good job for us for several years--but then her recruiting fell off and we started to slide, and then she got hired for more money by Texas (which has more money than any university in America). But she's done a lousy job there--Texas was last in the Big 12 last year, if you can believe it--and a lot of people wonder how she has kept her job. Answer: She's tight with the women's athletic director, who is said to be something of a tyrant. Texas, I think, is one of the few schools--maybe the only remaining school--that still has both a men's and women's athletic director.

The SEC has got very competitive in soccer. There are good programs and good coaches. We can be good with Pensky, and now's the time to show it.

Baseball also tends to be a low scoring game but aficionados of the sport enjoy watching the pitching duels and the different strategies to gain that all important run. But, if you never watch baseball and know nothing about the sport and then, for some reason, tune in to a 0-0 game in the bottom of the 4th, you might find the affair to be boring. Soccer is no different. As armchair notes, you have to appreciate the movement of the players and the ways in which good teams maintain a formation whole still playing "fluid" *(i.e. a midfielder knows to fall back into a defensive role when his/her outside back goes forward in the attack and so forth).

And you have to appreciate the skill displayed in a perfectly weighted pass or a nicely struck ball, a precise touch, or a clever move under pressure.

If you have ever tried playing you will know that even simple plays (such as settling a pass that comes flying in from 20 yards out) take years of practice and are by no means as easy as quality players make them look.

Agree: well-done, Arm. And you know I don't send a lot of compliments your way, but I really enjoy your perspective on LV soccer. I attend many of the home matches, and really enjoy the effort and athleticism.

I do think soccer is a game where there is a big difference between the men's & women's game. Speed & power differences really present themselves. But it is still fun to watch and cheer for the (Lady) Vols.

Loved Wilkinson, but I'm anxious to see if the team plays better without her. Felt like when she was on the field, the other players waited for her to do something as if she was the only one that could. (Not entirely. But did you ever notice that, Arm?)

I'm just glad for TN sports to start. I'm going to watch them all - soccer, VB, football, softball fall ball, etc. The summer of our discontent is almost over!

GBO🍊

"Bunny" Shaw is the real deal Holyfield. This team will live and die, by Cousins and Shaw. The ooc schedule is weak this year, I expect no more than 1 loss and hopefully none. If that happens, I predict UTs confidence will be high and they will make a legit run at the upper-echelon of the SEC and a NCAA Tourney bid. Go Vols!

I am a big soccer fan generally--men and women. I watched the finals of the women's European championship last weekend--The Netherlands vs. Denmark--and was happy to see a good Dutch team win it. The first half was dynamite--The Netherlands has some real talent up front--midfield and forwards, very dynamic. I've long been a fan of the Dutch men's national team as well--going back to '98 when they had a great team. The Dutch have long been known for their dynamic style of soccer.

As for the Vols this year, I want to see the Vols play better possession soccer, which is how most good teams play. I've seen a lot of direct play out of Pensky's teams in recent years--press, kick the ball toward the opponent's goal, and hope that one of your forwards (Wilkinson) can create something. Pensky was slow in improving the back four. I think for a couple of years he thought we were solid in the back and we were only fair--and you can't be good with only a fair back four. Last year we had a bad back four to start the year ---got killed by bama in our first SEC game (at home!) and embarrassed by a very good Brigham Young team in Utah. Pensky reacted by putting two good attacking players--Marcano and Neal--on defense--and they immediately changed the dynamic completely. Both were excellent. Neal's instincts are a little iffy at times--but she's strong, fast and athletic. I am super-curious to know who will be playing with Neal at centerback since Culhane (who would have been a 5th-year senior) sadly decided to quit. We really needed her back--as either a starter again or quality depth. She started at centerback for at least two years! It's crazy that she didn't return for her last year. I was surprised to hear that Gouner--a speedy forward--was playing centerback in the spring (and maybe still is). She was playing right back last year and I think had problems and was moved out of the position. I also don't know who will be playing left back. It will be interesting to see generally who starts and where. I think there are quite a number of good players on the team. I think the roster totals 24. Twenty-six would probably be ideal, but we've got enough to win games!

I'm going to attend the game at George Mason on Sunday and looking forward to it. I think the Navy website might be showing the Friday night game--check it out. We really need to not only win our OOC games this year, play well in the SEC and get in the NCAA tournament and develop some real momentum as a program.

I have watched a lot of bad Tennessee Soccer and a lot of good Tennessee Soccer. I think we will get more of the good than the bad this season, but not much great. Bunny will be a great addition, as you noted, but the team has to to learn to play without Wilkinson garnering the defense's attention. Great post, can't wait to discuss soccer with you this season. Go Vawls.

Wow: Both Vignola--who played well last year in midfield--and Gouner, a converted forward, are playing defense. Surprising--but it worked last year when Pensky switched two offensive players, Neal and Marcano, to defense. Gouner struggled defensively last year: Has she improved? Apparently. Not sure if she is playing centerback or leftback. Interesting. Playing a 4-3-3: Pensky always wants to play the 4-3-3. Not sure it's ideal for this team with so much midfield talent.....

Pensky has got Bialczak playing wing. Hope it works. She too was effective last year as a midfielder. I think she would be far more effective as box to box midfielder--she runs the field better than anyone on the team! She played forward as a redshirt freshman but didn't get much service and wasn't very effective. She'll be on a wing, where her speed will be a plus for us--but we'll have to see if she can help create goals.

Maryland has got a ton of heavy rain tonight--game is 2 hours late starting because of storms. Let's hope all the players on both teams stay healthy.

Last edited:
Volz 2-0 on 2 late goals. Play at home on Thursday against ETSU at 7:30. ETSU has been good offensively the last few years so we will see how well the team defends a team that can get more shots and their counterattack. 2-0 for the first time since 2012.

It's too bad that the Vols don't have a better opening home game than ETSU--kind of lame, if you ask me. I wish we had some tougher/better out-of-conference games. I can see playing one of the smaller Tennessee schools--but playing Middle Tennessee, too? Geez. We are not going to improve our RPI playing cupcakes.

Speaking of lame, I watched the soccer presser today (8/22). I think it was the first soccer press conference of the season--and it may be the first UT Coach Pensky presser that I've ever seen. I knew when I saw that it was only 8 minutes long that it would be disappointing--and, boy, was I right. Sadly, it's pretty clear that UT still has a long way to go when it comes to generating real interest in sports other than football and basketball.

I tuned in hoping to get some decent scoop from Pensky on this year's team. After Pensky made his brief opening remarks, the assembled media seemed to have no questions about the team. Pensky brought Maya Neal along, as coaches sometimes do, and 5 minutes of the 8 was devoted to questions to--or talk about--Neal. That would be fine if there was also discussion about the TEAM--strengths, weaknesses, personnel, position changes, the conference, etc.--but there was NONE of that. There was a question about Neal playing both track and soccer--old news since she started playing both sports last year. There was talk about Neal switching positions--also last year's news, since she switched positions last year. It's fine to talk to and about a particular player--but not fine if you spend 65 percent of a brief, 8 minute presser doing so. And why not bring Katie Cousins, who is not only the best player on the team but a person who recently played for the U.S. National team in the U20 World Cup? It was cool to bring Neal, but she doesn't exactly have a bubbly personality and there were better choices.

There were probably a very small number of reporter types at the soccer presser--and they seemed pretty clueless. Literally, the only thing I learned about the team is that the players are fit and "they want to win." OK. That's good to know. Had this been a soccer press at North Carolina, it would have lasted 40 minutes and one would have learned numerous things about the team. We've got a long way to go.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, I agree with you. I worked with equipment in the athletic department for a little while and the last soccer presser I remember was mostly empty seats, and two of three of the media members were from the on-campus Daily Beacon paper. I can laminate some official-looking media passes and we can attend the next one...if there is another one. :rolleyes:

VN Store

Back