UCONN Coach was Impressed by Jaime Nared in USA23 Trails

VolNYFan

Nared averaged 15.6 points and 6.9 rebounds a season ago in earning all-SEC second-team honors. She had a career high 30 points in a win at Mississippi State, hit two free throws with five seconds left to give the Lady Vols a win at South Carolina, and hit the deciding shot with 11 seconds to go in a come-from-behind win over Notre Dame.

Among her teammates in Tokyo is Tennessee redshirt senior Mercedes Russell. UConn's Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson, Azura Stevens, and Williams took part in the trials even though they knew they would not be picked for the team due to the scheduling conflict with the Huskies' tour of Italy. Auriemma was impressed with Nared.

"Jaime's really good and really talented," Auriemma said. "As is Mercedes Russell. I haven't really seen them play a lot since high school. I don't see them that often now since we don't play them. But I thought the two of them were really impressive for a lot of reasons out in Colorado. I'm not surprised that they both made the team. They were really, really good."

Reactions: 5 people
Nared averaged 15.6 points and 6.9 rebounds a season ago in earning all-SEC second-team honors. She had a career high 30 points in a win at Mississippi State, hit two free throws with five seconds left to give the Lady Vols a win at South Carolina, and hit the deciding shot with 11 seconds to go in a come-from-behind win over Notre Dame.

Among her teammates in Tokyo is Tennessee redshirt senior Mercedes Russell. UConn's Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson, Azura Stevens, and Williams took part in the trials even though they knew they would not be picked for the team due to the scheduling conflict with the Huskies' tour of Italy. Auriemma was impressed with Nared.

"Jaime's really good and really talented," Auriemma said. "As is Mercedes Russell. I haven't really seen them play a lot since high school. I don't see them that often now since we don't play them. But I thought the two of them were really impressive for a lot of reasons out in Colorado. I'm not surprised that they both made the team. They were really, really good."

Where'd you find this ? That's pretty cool!

Nared elevated her game significantly last year with her ability to make outside shots, including threes. She is an outstanding athlete.

Reactions: 6 people
Fact is that Geno could take this team to Final Four and probably win it.I do not hold the same opinion with the existing coaching staff.

Reactions: 11 people

We don't need a UCON coach telling us what we already knew.

Reactions: 7 people
It's just another indication of how badly coached we are--of a staff that can't get its act together and couldn't manage our personnel. Nared, Russell, and Deshields? You're talking three of the biggest talents in the country! And we lost 12 games and were the 5th (or was it the 7th?) seed in the SEC tournament! Unbelievable. And fans think this freshmen class will be the difference, as if we haven't had talent before. Oh, my. Geno would have taken our talent and won the big taco, people.

Reactions: 12 people
It's just another indication of how badly coached we are--of a staff that can't get its act together and couldn't manage our personnel. Nared, Russell, and Deshields? You're talking three of the biggest talents in the country! And we lost 12 games and were the 5th (or was it the 7th?) seed in the SEC tournament! Unbelievable. And fans think this freshmen class will be the difference, as if we haven't had talent before. Oh, my. Geno would have taken our talent and won the big taco, people.

Well said sir.....

Reactions: 1 person
First off No Geno would not have taken our talent anywhere, because in no imaginary world would they have gone to him. Why every post has to turn into a Holly bashing is just ridiculous. She is our coach, she is a huge part of our history, and success, more so than anyone of the posters on this board.

Reactions: 11 people
You have to understand both Jaime and GA were asked point blank for their opinions, they didn't just start blurting out stuff about the other. Neither responded with anything groundbreaking, both stayed classy, and that's great. End of story.

Reactions: 4 people
First off No Geno would not have taken our talent anywhere, because in no imaginary world would they have gone to him. Why every post has to turn into a Holly bashing is just ridiculous. She is our coach, she is a huge part of our history, and success, more so than anyone of the posters on this board.
With Geno bragging on them Holly had to help them some. I hate every thread turning into a Holly bashing thread too. We could do better with a new coach but we could do worse too. Careful what you wish for people. Plus Holly is one of our own.

hey gee no, you could have been playing against them if you hadn't been cheating at recruiting in the Pat years. your loss.

It's called diplomacy. What would you expect him to say? Words are cheap. Actions speak louder than words. This is the same person who coached the U.S. Olympic team that snubbed Candace Parker, one of the top 5 players in the world. Please, no rebuttals saying that he had no say in who made the team.

Reactions: 5 people
It's called diplomacy. What would you expect him to say? Words are cheap. Actions speak louder than words. This is the same person who coached the U.S. Olympic team that snubbed Candace Parker, one of the top 5 players in the world. Please, no rebuttals saying that he had no say in who made the team.
Geno had no say in who made the team. Only the committee voted on that and Geno wasn't on the committee. I've heard the players didn't want her on the team either. The team is more important than the individual, and the team won the gold.The committee made the right decision.

Propaganda!

The U.S. was going to win gold regardless of who made up the team. Two or three different teams could have been assembled from the pool of talent, and any would have won convincingly.

If there are players who "didn't want her on the team", then they have jealousy/insecurity issues. The committee needed to hire a better sports psychologist to allay their fears and unsportsmanship.

Reactions: 3 people
Geno had no say in who made the team. Only the committee voted on that and Geno wasn't on the committee. I've heard the players didn't want her on the team either. The team is more important than the individual, and the team won the gold.The committee made the right decision.

Your statement makes no sense.
1) Geno had no say
BUT you say
2) "I heard the players didn't want her on the team" which YOU ARE IMPLYING the committee listened to the team!
and then you you say
3) Only the committee voted [who made the team]

So the committee listens to the players but not the coach?

You have it backwards troll.

Reactions: 7 people

The right decision? Based on what? That the team won gold? They would have won gold WITH Candace. They would have won gold if they left off Maya or Diana or Elena too. So there's nothing about their choices that made it the "right" decision.

Reactions: 8 people
Your statement makes no sense.
1) Geno had no say
BUT you say
2) "I heard the players didn't want her on the team" which YOU ARE IMPLYING the committee listened to the team!
and then you you say
3) Only the committee voted [who made the team]

So the committee listens to the players but not the coach?

You have it backwards troll.
I didn't say the committee listened to the players. You twisted what I said into an illogical, erroneous, assumption. To clarify, I heard the players were happy she didn't make the team.

So a person that doesn't agree with your opinion is a troll?

you know what i'm just gonna try and ignore the troll who i believe is another troll's second account.

I already knew that about Jaime's game. she's worked tremendously hard to improve and elevate her game and it showed last season and i hope she continues to excel and leading by example.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I do think any time a player reads quotes from a coach saying they are talented that it's a good thing. Since Auriemma is top dog in the women's game right now, compliments from him would absolutely be cherished by players today.

But what I don't believe from Auriemma's quotes is that he hasn't seen her play much since his teams no longer play Tennessee. That made me laugh, because even if he ends up watching the games alone in a closet somewhere so that no-one will catch him doing it, I cannot fathom him not enjoying the hell out of watching the Lady Vols lose to the likes of Alabama! He watches those horrible performances for sh|ts and giggles! lol

Reactions: 2 people
I do think any time a player reads quotes from a coach saying they are talented that it's a good thing. Since Auriemma is top dog in the women's game right now, compliments from him would absolutely be cherished by players today.

But what I don't believe from Auriemma's quotes is that he hasn't seen her play much since his teams no longer play Tennessee. That made me laugh, because even if he ends up watching the games alone in a closet somewhere so that no-one will catch him doing it, I cannot fathom him not enjoying the hell out of watching the Lady Vols lose to the likes of Alabama! He watches those horrible performances for sh|ts and giggles! lol

Then you agree: he is deeply disturbed.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back