LVs who weren't a star until senior year

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
Slow time thread!

those of us who have long memories can recount many LVs who seemed to have great potential but it never materialized on a consistent game basis. Some players had to wait their turn of course. And a few recognized their senior year was the NOW.

Latoya Davis was an immediate example for me as she mastered the soft jumper. Cierra Burdick had the best form on her release of any player I remember but had several funks in her soph and junior year but as a senior especially the January - March and after Izzy went down.

who do you remember that were best remembered for their senior year?

Alex Fuller

I may be misremembering, but her best year may have been her freshman year, before the injuries.

Latoya and Tasha Butts both had big commitment adjustments late and were different players their senior years. Maybe Sidney Spencer - she had injuries and changed positions a lot, so it was hard to see how good she was getting during her career. Alberta Auguste was only here 2 years, but her senior year was exponentially better than her first year.

I think most of our players show steady progression, but the stars are already showing star material as freshmen. Few surprises that I remember.

Cierra Burdick was much better her senior year. Consistency and more confidence in her offensive game. She really held the front court together after we lost Izzy... Our close loss to South Carolina after Izzy's injury was one of her best moments as a Lady Vol because she fought as hard as any player I've seen put on a Lady Vols jersey.

Reactions: 3 people
Lisa Harrison

ugh i was sooo in love with Lisa Harrison throughout her entireee career ! UT & WNBA with PHX. She reminds me of Jamie Nared idk if its the skill or there actual appearance but she was lovely ! Hard nosed and tough !

Reactions: 2 people
Except in the case of injury, every player should be best in their Senior year.

Lisa Harrison is spot on. The former HS player of the year from Louisville blended for 3 years before coming into her own as a senior. She had the sweetest release on her shot and concluded her career as a beast on the boards. She would have also won Miss Photogenic.

Sheila Collins played for 3 years (minus some injury time) in the shadows of Ostrowski, Haave, Towns, and Collins. Her last year she was the lone senior, leading a very young Lady Vols team to the SEC tournament championship and to the Mideast Regional semis.

Reactions: 1 person
I may be misremembering, but her best year may have been her freshman year, before the injuries.

Latoya and Tasha Butts both had big commitment adjustments late and were different players their senior years. Maybe Sidney Spencer - she had injuries and changed positions a lot, so it was hard to see how good she was getting during her career. Alberta Auguste was only here 2 years, but her senior year was exponentially better than her first year.

I think most of our players show steady progression, but the stars are already showing star material as freshmen. Few surprises that I remember.

I found this paragraph from an old article on UT Sports: Fuller arrived at Tennessee after earning WBCA and McDonald's All-America honors as a high school senior. She was the lone senior on last season's (08-09) Tennessee squad and provided valuable leadership in her most productive season as a Lady Vol. Fuller turned in career-highs with 7.5 points and 5.9 rebounds per game as a senior.

Gwen Jackson was always a good contributor but she really blossomed at the end of her senior year and went on a tear through the NCAAs.

Taber Spani and Kamiko Williams greatly elevated their play as seniors and stood out after inconsistent performances their first 3 seasons.

Dana Johnson was great in 1995. Not sure if she was a big contributor or not the year prior.

Tasha Butts developed into a go to player as a senior.

Shanna Zolman put up outstanding numbers as a senior after steady but not spectacular sophomore and junior campaigns. She was always a really solid player but was markedly better her senior year.

For whatever reason, a lot of LVs historically seem to produce their best season as juniors. Holdsclaw, Catchings, Simmons, Stricklen, Massengale, Ely, Randall, and probably others had their best seasons as juniors. You could throw Parker in that mix too, but she didn't have a senior year so it's a stretch for that one to count.

Reactions: 1 person
I couldn't pull up Lisa Harrison's name but remember well the expectations of as a freshman and a that being a good year. And as those above have stated her senior year was definitely a superior player.

And response to Ballnut90 how many players were "better" after overcoming ACL injuries and such. Butts, Cann and Carter playing with knees without cartilage.

good memories boarders thanks

VN Store

Back