Do you anticipate a revamped or new offense?

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
It is a slow time for us boarders speculating on a roster that will start with three players with with considerable playing time , five with none and two with minimum game on the line experience.

We heard the coaches in November - December stating the focus was on defense. The importance of players talking was emphasized last year. We have observed young players thinking "what now" rather than being comfortable with the play called or the defense.

Does the Coaching staff have reason to believe the LV offense of inside-out is too predictable or not the best for the current players?

Reactions: 1 person
I believe this would be the perfect time to re-think offense since there are so many freshmen. Everything will be new to them, anyway, so it won't make a difference to them what they learn when.

Do I worry that both the offense and defense will be a continuation of past seasons? Sadly, yes, I do worry.

As I have been saying for many years now, a MAJOR re-thinking and re-structuring of how the game is taught to the players is needed. New drills. New practice structure. New methods of assuring accountability, etc.

The program needs drastic changes -- both symbolic and real -- in order to break whatever bad mental/physical habits that linger from the past few stale seasons.

If I could get into Holly's head, every returning player would be shocked by how so NOT like past practices/meetings/workouts are this year compared to those of the past. They would feel like they are playing for a different staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It is a slow time for us boarders speculating on a roster that will start with three players with with considerable playing time , five with none and two with minimum game on the line experience.

We heard the coaches in November - December stating the focus was on defense. The importance of players talking was emphasized last year. We have observed young players thinking "what now" rather than being comfortable with the play called or the defense.

Does the Coaching staff have reason to believe the LV offense of inside-out is too predictable or not the best for the current players?

I can't remember seeing an inside-out offense.
I yelled for one all last season...Free Kortney.
Never happened.

They did have an outside-in offense every so often though. MR got some pretty consistent touches

Reactions: 2 people
I'd like to see better execution ,make a decent pass is number one ,ball control,don't make dumb passes is number 2 and hit the chip shots,your that close to the rim,hit em and of course hit some 3's

a good inside out game would be greatly appreciated too

and stop the outside shooting on defense,close those back door plays too,defense will be a big question this season with all the new players

it's the style and timing of the play-calling that will change...:crossfingers:...not the offensive scheme...:thumbsup:

GO VOLS!

I doubt it , but who knows. Im sure we will still see 40 plays per game with desperation heaves with the shot clock expiring because we had a full 35 seconds to find a decent shot , but our offense requires 30 mins unfortunately

I'm hoping we'll see a lot more of drive and dish instead of trying to pass to the post from the perimeter. We definitely will have better speed at the guard positions and both Evina and Annie have been drivers in the past with great passing skills. Getting the ball in close to Russell is almost an automatic two points.
I will also be interested in learning our starting lineup. Will we go small or will we go with Green and Russell at the same time.
On the perimeter Davis was a 37 percent three point shooter in high school and 39 percent her senior year. If she can get those numbers up here she would really open up the offense for us.

I personally thought the offense was better last year than it had been in a while. The team seemed to figure out how to beat a zone.

Reactions: 4 people
We scored most points in school history last year .. the year before we rushed highest TN has ever rushed. Offense isn't a problem. I would be happy to see last year's offense.

I believe that with MR still in the paint, I do not see the offense changing much. If she has been working on her footwork and post moves and is as productive as last season, she will be an All american this year. As I see it, ball movement as well as player movement has to improve for the offense to improve. These improvements should result in better shots, and more baskets.The freshmen will have to learn early where Mercedes likes to catch the ball and score.

I really have not seen a specific scheme for the offense since Holly has been here except for the Mercedes years .... essentially feed the ball into Mercedes....

and if Mercedes will be the linchpin to our offense this year, I will be disappointed..... Mercedes does not have the motor.... nor the moves for this expectation.... use her as occasional or potential weapon.... and develop the others.

I really have not seen a specific scheme for the offense since Holly has been here except for the Mercedes years .... essentially feed the ball into Mercedes....

and if Mercedes will be the linchpin to our offense this year, I will be disappointed..... Mercedes does not have the motor.... nor the moves for this expectation.... use her as occasional or potential weapon.... and develop the others.

They ran a lot of pick and rolls and high ball screens last year. The screens set nared, DD, and sometimes middleton up for the mid range jumpers. Additionally, quite a few of Nareds 3's came by the way of stepping back after the screen was set. They also caught Russell rolling to the basket.

Someone posted months ago that Holly would be installing a new offense for the upcoming season.

Is that still the case?

I hope Davis proves me wrong, but she played in a weak conference so high 30's from the 3 point range may be a stretch for her 1st year of college

Our offense started sucking a few years prior to Holly. For some reason we continue to play the same offense. It is not Holly's fault that the offense started going South, it is her fault that it continues to go South. There is no reason for this continued mediocre offense. I hope Holly can see that, but it has yet to happen. It seems that we bring in good offensive players and they lose their ability to shoot the ball. Holly seems to be much more interested in playing defense. Most of the time we play pretty good defense. I hope not, but I see our offense continuing to be our Achilles heel.

They ran a lot of pick and rolls and high ball screens last year. The screens set nared, DD, and sometimes middleton up for the mid range jumpers. Additionally, quite a few of Nareds 3's came by the way of stepping back after the screen was set. They also caught Russell rolling to the basket.

Yes agreed... and I was oversimplifying.... Holly is not a gifted offensive coach.... and i am hoping that Gordon will be an addition who can help in this regard

I think Mercedes has to be the lynchpin for the offense because she is such a huge mismatch for teams to defend. There are very, very few players who can guard her 1-on-1. She may not have the greatest variety of moves, but if she gets the ball in position with single coverage, that is pretty much a guaranteed basket or foul shots.

Where they flubbed is attempting to get her the ball at all costs when she had three sets of eyes on her. With Diamond and Jaime roaming and Middleton a capable outside shooter, there was no excuse for turning the ball over trying to force it inside. They won't have Alexa's outside shooting or Diamond's ability to create anymore, so they run the risk of being too predictable.

Someone on the court besides Jaime and MR needs to be willing to look for their own shot.

It would be smart to make this offense run through the guards, guards will be a strength and post will be a question mark after this season.

It would be smart to make this offense run through the guards, guards will be a strength and post will be a question mark after this season.

Only if you want to give up on this season. The guards are unproven. Mercedes is not.

This will be the best team that Tennessee will have for a while, because there is no post on their radar that will command as much defensive attention as Mercedes will now. When she's gone next year, Tennessee will be a much weaker team, less so if they can get Ododa away from SC.

Last edited:
I think Mercedes has to be the lynchpin for the offense because she is such a huge mismatch for teams to defend. There are very, very few players who can guard her 1-on-1. She may not have the greatest variety of moves, but if she gets the ball in position with single coverage, that is pretty much a guaranteed basket or foul shots.

Where they flubbed is attempting to get her the ball at all costs when she had three sets of eyes on her. With Diamond and Jaime roaming and Middleton a capable outside shooter, there was no excuse for turning the ball over trying to force it inside. They won't have Alexa's outside shooting or Diamond's ability to create anymore, so they run the risk of being too predictable.

Someone on the court besides Jaime and MR needs to be willing to look for their own shot.

Yes I hope Mercedes does it for us this year... I just worry that her motor seemingly is so slow that we will need to turn to others when the chips are down.... i.e. she is not the game changer that others may be

VN Store

Back