Coach Jumper: This year?

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
Last year I threaded that DD would be a jumper. (I didn't know she would jump that far though) I also was very forceful in asking for Holly's step away.

I have studied this current program as if I was going to be tested on it.

This is the year folks.

If CHW is to get back in, and stay back in, top four status, it is with this group it will start.

The players returning are seemingly the most coachable of the past year's brood. There are no "extreme personalities" on the floor to manage.

A staff hand chosen, via tenure or replacement, but chosen.

The best recruiting class in a heckuva long time.
Evina Westbrook, 6 foot G/SF, #2 (Hoopgurls 2017 rank) , joins Narred and Russell with home-state ties.
5-7 point guard Anastasia Hayes #7 of Riverdale (Murfreesboro, Tennessee); 6-2 wing Rennia Davis #12 of Ribault (Jacksonville, Florida); and 6-4 center Kasiyahna Kushkituah #57 of St. Francis (Alpharetta, Georgia).

The new assistant's only uncertainty is "what tasks will she focus on". As far as her heart and loyalty, this is unquestioned. She bleeds orange.

There is nothing "outside", that I can see, to get in CHW's path. She truly seems to have everything lined up for a run.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
it will be an interesting year for sure

lot's of players gone and lot's of new players

hopefully a healthy year too,it would be great if CHWs team wouldn't have any major injuries for once

a lot is going to be on the Freshmen this year,hopefully they all come thru and have a good year

Reactions: 4 people
I agree. Holly has a good group, Bridget has been successful both playing💕 and coaching, and, if there were compatibility problems, they are gone. Now just hope no injuries!

Go LADY Vols!:dance2:

Reactions: 5 people
Lot's of wildcards really. They are young, they don't have depth, they are installing a new offense, and have a new guard coach. Really, no one but the coaching staff who sees them everyday will have any sort of idea what to expect & that's only if they retain what they learn in practice and remember the scout game to game.

The only real thing that you can count on is MR likely averaging a double double and Nared getting most of the shots. Everything else is completely up in the air. That could make it exciting for some fans and agonizing for others. The good thing about it is that no one looks good in November & December so they have time. My main concern would be the defense.

Last edited:
There are just too many unknowns to speak in a knowing way at this point in time. I hope for the best, and I'm sure all the folks here do as well. It's high time for a real big group hug.

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
"if they don't do IT? the biggest disappointment for the last several years was losing to MANY teams with inferior talent. The question is will the LVs have superior talent throughout the league that includes SC and MS or will they need to learn to win against teams that have equal or superior talent? The answer of course is BOTH.

A second question is do or do you not believe that the players in this class will attract and continue to attract equally talented players. If you do then when seniors graduate the depth and quality will come from future classes. If you believe this class is a fluke then "next year and the year after and ... will be a bad ones."

Have any of you been following the LVs the last couple of years? If you have you should know not to expect much to change. They lost a couple of real talented players and have a really nice class coming in. They are freshmen though, and I don't think there is a dominant player in the group, i.e. Candace or Chamique. So why is anything going to be different? Holly still can't coach! They also lost their ace recruiter to USCe. I wish I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Reactions: 6 people
she is a defensive liability, not quick enough to guards a 2 or 3, and too small to guard a 3/4

Kortney is a lot tougher in the low post than she is given credit for. She is used wrong. Defensively let her play PF's, offensively play her n a inside-outside scheme.

Have any of you been following the LVs the last couple of years? If you have you should know not to expect much to change. They lost a couple of real talented players and have a really nice class coming in. They are freshmen though, and I don't think there is a dominant player in the group, i.e. Candace or Chamique. So why is anything going to be different? Holly still can't coach! They also lost their ace recruiter to USCe. I wish I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

The ace recruiter right now is how the development of these Fab Four Freshmen goes. With no foreseeable obstacles in the path, the returners are strong and the recruits are equally potentially strong...It's run time.

Reactions: 4 people
I doubt we make a serious run, frankly. Losing a couple of bad attitudes will help team chemistry, no doubt, and we certainly have some talent--but, as others have noted, at least one and maybe two freshmen will be playing regularly, and we are back to having no depth again, and I see no reason to believe that the coaching and offensive efficiency issues that have bedeviled this program for years are going to suddenly disappear. It's not like we haven't had talent before--we always have talent.

We have only one proven three-point shooter--which is not good, and a coach that doesn't appreciate the importance of the three. Much will hinge on the freshmen guards, and Green, and how efficient the offense is, and how well we play defense as a group. All big unknowns. Westbrook and Hayes should be good--but can they be good //this year?// Even with the many questions, as Jumper suggests we have a better chance of making noise this year than next year. We lose Nared and Russell after this year, and they will not be easily replaced. Can KK be as good as Russell? That's a big ask. That means that it is crucial that the staff land at least two more top prospects this year.

Reactions: 8 people
This year's team will have a lot of talent but most of it resides in the top ranked freshman class, and that concerns me.
Seniors Russell and Nared will be first team All SEC this year. However, they will need huge contributions from at least 2 of the freshman if we want to make it to the FF. It's possible, but judging by what our highest ranked recruits have done, as freshman, in the recent past, I have some reservations. I think we may be a bit too young to make it to the FF this year.
If Holly could get a top 3 class this year, then I would expect a FF appearance not next year (all freshmen and sophomores) but I would expect it the following year (2019-20 with mostly sophs and juniors).

Last edited:
Last year I threaded that DD would be a jumper. (I didn't know she would jump that far though) I also was very forceful in asking for Holly's step away.

I have studied this current program as if I was going to be tested on it.

This is the year folks.

If CHW is to get back in, and stay back in, top four status, it is with this group it will start.

The players returning are seemingly the most coachable of the past year's brood. There are no "extreme personalities" on the floor to manage.

A staff hand chosen, via tenure or replacement, but chosen.

The best recruiting class in a heckuva long time.
Evina Westbrook, 6 foot G/SF, #2 (Hoopgurls 2017 rank) , joins Narred and Russell with home-state ties.
5-7 point guard Anastasia Hayes #7 of Riverdale (Murfreesboro, Tennessee); 6-2 wing Rennia Davis #12 of Ribault (Jacksonville, Florida); and 6-4 center Kasiyahna Kushkituah #57 of St. Francis (Alpharetta, Georgia).

The new assistant's only uncertainty is "what tasks will she focus on". As far as her heart and loyalty, this is unquestioned. She bleeds orange.

There is nothing "outside", that I can see, to get in CHW's path. She truly seems to have everything lined up for a run.

Your thoughts?

Jaime & Mercedes must lead the way. ? marks on Cheredine. If Green is able to give us a double double and be a force in the post the LVs will be a much better team.

Who is going to be our point guard?

There's so much on the line this season.

Lots of unknowns. I can only hope for the best as this is a brand new Lady Vol squad. New attitudes and faces in the mix.

GOLadyVols!

Reactions: 2 people
I have no faith in Holly as a head coach.....She is a swell lady, but her offensive liabilities have been apparent the last 2 seasons....

Reactions: 5 people
I doubt we make a serious run, frankly. Losing a couple of bad attitudes will help team chemistry, no doubt, and we certainly have some talent--but, as others have noted, at least one and maybe two freshmen will be playing regularly, and we are back to having no depth again, and I see no reason to believe that the coaching and offensive efficiency issues that have bedeviled this program for years are going to suddenly disappear. It's not like we haven't had talent before--we always have talent.

We have only one proven three-point shooter--which is not good, and a coach that doesn't appreciate the importance of the three. Much will hinge on the freshmen guards, and Green, and how efficient the offense is, and how well we play defense as a group. All big unknowns. Westbrook and Hayes should be good--but can they be good //this year?// Even with the many questions, as Jumper suggests we have a better chance of making noise this year than next year. We lose Nared and Russell after this year, and they will not be easily replaced. Can KK be as good as Russell? That's a big ask. That means that it is crucial that the staff land at least two more top prospects this year.

Don't take this wrong but I hope you're totally wrong ! Will you humbly accept some crow pie if you are?

Reactions: 3 people
have us winning SEC championship and going to, as a minimum, final four...so, yeah, I'm on board...:)

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
If Kortney can come in a game for more than a couple minutes at a time and get back into a shooter's touch, she can more than make up for slower foot speed. We need players on the court who can hold on to the rebound and throw a good outlet pass. KD has good hands and is strong.

Reactions: 2 people
I just hope this team practices offense and shooting drills. It's always the team that scores the most points that wins ...

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back