Assessing the ability to catch

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
Nneka Ogwumike interview on ESPN is a fun read and she had an observation on herself that is important to consider in recruiting. She acknowledged she had reflexes and the ability to catch passes!

DeShield was a quality passer and many of her turnovers were caused perhaps because she wasn't passing to Ogwumike or someone with similar skills.

One of the past LV posts was below average as a receiver and remember hearing that although tall she had small hands. :huggy:

We read about a player having 'good hands' - other than game observation how is that quality determined?

Nneka Ogwumike interview on ESPN is a fun read and she had an observation on herself that is important to consider in recruiting. She acknowledged she had reflexes and the ability to catch passes!

DeShield was a quality passer and many of her turnovers were caused perhaps because she wasn't passing to Ogwumike or someone with similar skills.

One of the past LV posts was below average as a receiver and remember hearing that although tall she had small hands. :huggy:

We read about a player having 'good hands' - other than game observation how is that quality determined?

At some point if you know your teammates can't catch your flashy passes, you should adjust. That's always been one of Diamonds problems.

Reactions: 4 people
Having good hands is a huge trait for posts, and it's not sure it's something that is easily improved. Kelley Cain had some of the best hands I've ever seen--anything thrown in to her she'd catch. On the flip side, I think Brianna Turner at Notre Dame has some of the worst catching hands I've seen, whether it be getting a rebound or catching an entry pass. Probably her weakest point as an otherwise outstanding post player.

Reactions: 1 person
Having good hands is a huge trait for posts, and it's not sure it's something that is easily improved. Kelley Cain had some of the best hands I've ever seen--anything thrown in to her she'd catch. On the flip side, I think Brianna Turner at Notre Dame has some of the worst catching hands I've seen, whether it be getting a rebound or catching an entry pass. Probably her weakest point as an otherwise outstanding post player.

I'm not sure using Turner as an example is a good one since she is one of the very very few female posts who can gather a ball in mid air and still finish. She is so good at it infact that it is an actual play ND used for both her and (while she was there) Jewell Lyod.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Not only must the post develop soft hands,
the passer has to have good timing with the recipient of the pass.

The passer will sometimes get their pass to a posts, but they may be waiting until way too late in the initiation of the pass, and the posts are already turning to box out when the pass is made. Posts have to reach a "point of decision", as to whether to set up for a box-out or look for an entry.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back