Bridgette Gordon hired as Assistant Coach

mtsuraider06

"First, I would like to thank God for blessing me with this opportunity," Gordon said. "I am grateful to Holly and the UT Athletics administration for the opportunity and for having faith in me to continue building the rich tradition of the Lady Vol program.

"This opportunity is reminiscent of a call I received over 30 years ago, of being offered a scholarship. I had always dreamed of being a Lady Vol. After playing and being part of this rich tradition, I have continued to dream about coming back as a coach and helping Holly continue to add to the Lady Vol legacy. Another dream has come true!

http://www.utsports.com/news/2017/7/20/womens-basketball-bridgette-gordon-joins-lady-vol-staff.aspx

Reactions: 11 people
"First, I would like to thank God for blessing me with this opportunity," Gordon said. "I am grateful to Holly and the UT Athletics administration for the opportunity and for having faith in me to continue building the rich tradition of the Lady Vol program.

"This opportunity is reminiscent of a call I received over 30 years ago, of being offered a scholarship. I had always dreamed of being a Lady Vol. After playing and being part of this rich tradition, I have continued to dream about coming back as a coach and helping Holly continue to add to the Lady Vol legacy. Another dream has come true!

http://www.utsports.com/news/2017/7/20/womens-basketball-bridgette-gordon-joins-lady-vol-staff.aspx

Is this a good hire in your eyes? Will she work with the guards ?

I have my reservations, but the timing was not good in the first place. Holly didn't have the pick of the litter for this, due to the ODU position opening so late, which cause South Carolina to open, which caused this.

Every staff in the country was out recruiting while we were searching, and it just wasn't a good time for a job search.

Can it be a good hire? Yes. Bridgette knows the game. She is relatable, she loves this program, and will sell this program with her whole heart to recruits and parents. She is very much like Coach Reeves in that aspect.

Is this an out of the park hire? It's a wait and see for me.

Reactions: 8 people
I have my reservations, but the timing was not good in the first place. Holly didn't have the pick of the litter for this, due to the ODU position opening so late, which cause South Carolina to open, which caused this.

Every staff in the country was out recruiting while we were searching, and it just wasn't a good time for a job search.

Can it be a good hire? Yes. Bridgette knows the game. She is relatable, she loves this program, and will sell this program with her whole heart to recruits and parents. She is very much like Coach Reeves in that aspect.

Nice observation!

Wichita State had a good program for a while until a lot of players transferred out of there. I remember when we played them took all we had to pull out the victory. I hope she will be able to recruit we need three terrific players in the upcoming class to go with the two we have.

Wichita State had a good program for a while until a lot of players transferred out of there. I remember when we played them took all we had to pull out the victory. I hope she will be able to recruit we need three terrific players in the upcoming class to go with the two we have.

If she can work with our guards, and develop them the way she did with Alex Harden then I think this is a great hire.

Reactions: 1 person
Is this a good hire in your eyes? Will she work with the guards ?
Holly's job is safe. Probably as good a "within the family" hire as was available.

I can see the attraction of hiring a person who has nostalgia for the program, but this hire is not a game changer. Her forte seems to be more in recruiting than coaching. A puzzling choice.

Agree 💯. I don't think it was the first choice, and we will have to wait and see if it will be great.

A solid hire.

We need a recruiter ppl are you slow

I believe Reaves is in-charge of recruiting. I think Holly and TN are already good at recruting, especially if there's no bad chemistry among coaches or players tainting the team.

I think Gordon was a good recruiter at W.St., wasn't she?

Is that what you're saying, vosl23, that we hired a recruiting coach instead of a guard coach? If so, I'd agree with you.

Last edited:

A perfect fit for the Lady Vols! The post players will be in good hands!

GOLadyVols!

Reactions: 3 people

What are your reservations? What you described sounded like a good assistant, just curious, because I have no idea..

This was a safe choice by a coach who probably knows that her job is in jeopardy. Gordon is lauded for her recruiting but her best class was 47th in the nation. That's not good. Maybe she'll be good for the program, who knows.

I'm biased, but I seriously doubt that any recognized top assistant was going to come here and work for Warlick. Why would you? And conversely, you think Warlick would want to hire a REALLY GOOD assistant, given her situation? No way. Warlick is not going to hire someone who'd be a threat to her job. This is why she ends up hiring a former Vol. It isn't exactly a secret in women's BB circles that this program has struggled.

Reactions: 8 people
"It isn't exactly a secret in women's BB circles that this program has struggled."

Of course it isn't--you announce it everyday on here...despite the futility...

Reactions: 14 people
We have a thread titled "new assistant coach hire" or something like that where there was hand wringing and frustration that we did not yet have a new assistant. Now we have one,and more handwringing is going on. We wanted an experienced coach--we got one. We wanted a good recruiter-- we got one, who was able to have a top50 class at Wichita State.
On top of this,we got someone who loves Tennessee and the Lady Vols. She is a LVFL and that's a plus for her. As Raider states,we won't know for awhile if she's a home run hire,but she wants to be here,and that's a big plus for her! All the naysayers should wait for results in the program and on the floor before casting aspersions. As for me,I anticipate that she will make a difference in ways that Jolete Law did not,due to the fact that she is well versed in Lady Vol history and tradition. Now,let's give her space to operate. Or maybe she makes her own space. Go Lady Vols!!

Reactions: 17 people
We have a thread titled "new assistant coach hire" or something like that where there was hand wringing and frustration that we did not yet have a new assistant. Now we have one,and more handwringing is going on. We wanted an experienced coach--we got one. We wanted a good recruiter-- we got one, who was able to have a top50 class at Wichita State.
On top of this,we got someone who loves Tennessee and the Lady Vols. She is a LVFL and that's a plus for her. As Raider states,we won't know for awhile if she's a home run hire,but she wants to be here,and that's a big plus for her! All the naysayers should wait for results in the program and on the floor before casting aspersions. As for me,I anticipate that she will make a difference in ways that Jolete Law did not,due to the fact that she is well versed in Lady Vol history and tradition. Now,let's give her space to operate. Or maybe she makes her own space. Go Lady Vols!!

Well said and very good points! Bridgette deserves a chance and certainly our support as she takes on this role. I'm rooting for her!

Go Bridgette and Go Lady Vols! 💙🍊🏀✨

Reactions: 6 people

Very well said!

Reactions: 2 people
Welcome back to Rocky Top, Bridgette Gordon. May you bring as much grit and success to the Lady Vols' coaching staff as you did as one of Pat's all-time great players!

Reactions: 4 people
Lady Vols legend, proven results coaching and recruiting, personal and profession friend of Holly...with the timing...this is an A- hire...well done staff! I don't think we could have done better...timing makes a higher grade improbable.

Reactions: 3 people
Would like to see her work with Post, we haven't had good post play since she played. And I haven't seen good post coaching since Demoss coached them.

VN Store

Back