Academic eligibility requirements

CannonVol80

Does anyone on here know what the academic eligibility requirements are for a student-athlete to continue participation in their sport?

What I am interested in is, I thought there was a requirement for a student-athlete to complete a certain number of academic hours with a sufficient grade point average in the preceding semester in order to continue to compete in their respective sport. Am I correct in that thought, or not?

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
Does anyone on here know what the academic eligibility requirements are for a student-athlete to continue participation in their sport?

What I am interested in is, I thought there was a requirement for a student-athlete to complete a certain number of academic hours with a sufficient grade point average in the preceding semester in order to continue to compete in their respective sport. Am I correct in that thought, or not?

Jim
I answered in the Joyner Holmes thread Jim but to keep it short:

The summer sessions (classes) count toward the upcoming school year therefore if she's enrolled any the summer sessions and can gain 12 credits she would still be on course to be eligible to play in the winter

I answered in the Joyner Holmes thread Jim but to keep it short:

The summer sessions (classes) count toward the upcoming school year therefore if she's enrolled any the summer sessions and can gain 12 credits she would still be on course to be eligible to play in the winter

I played ball in college, for an athlete in a full scholarship ur require to maintain 2.0 GPA.. If u fall below that, u have to sit out depending how low the person falls. Most player take classes to come bk within a month or 2, most done for entire season.

I played ball in college, for an athlete in a full scholarship ur require to maintain 2.0 GPA.. If u fall below that, u have to sit out depending how low the person falls. Most player take classes to come bk within a month or 2, most done for entire season.

He wasn't asking about the GPA, I have sent players to D1 and D2 schools (been coaching AAU basketball over 13 years) as well as have a sister who just finished playing D2 as well. So I also know a little something about it.

He was asking how could she still play in December (which would be the Spring Semester) if she isn't enrolled in school for the Fall Semester. I was explaining to him that summer classes can be counted toward Fall credits.

If she is under a 2.0 now and wont be enrolled in the Fall she still wouldn't have the required 2.0 GPA to be able to play in December (The Spring Semester)

Reactions: 2 people

Jim

It's way more complicated than that, because it depends on the academic year and the school.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements

And here's the info about freshmen, transfers, and graduate transfers.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-academic-eligibility

You didn't think the NCAA would make it a one-sentence policy, did you? :confused:

Reactions: 3 people
He wasn't asking about the GPA, I have sent players to D1 and D2 schools (been coaching AAU basketball over 13 years) as well as have a sister who just finished playing D2 as well. So I also know a little something about it.

He was asking how could she still play in December (which would be the Spring Semester) if she isn't enrolled in school for the Fall Semester. I was explaining to him that summer classes can be counted toward Fall credits.

If she is under a 2.0 now and wont be enrolled in the Fall she still wouldn't have the required 2.0 GPA to be able to play in December (The Spring Semester)

Possibly... she can still be at home register online class, score A or B, bring her GPA up and be able to play December. A player does not have to take that kind of class in campus.

Sir, there's also NAIA D1, far from NCAA D1...

A player could get kicked out from NCAA, transfer to NAIA D1 and be eligible to play rite away.

Sir, there's also NAIA D1, far from NCAA D1...

A player could get kicked out from NCAA, transfer to NAIA D1 and be eligible to play rite away.

I know that but he wasn't asking about that, he asked how could she play in December if she will not be enrolled in Fall Classes at the University. Saying there are online classes and home classes doesn't answer his question because taking those classes would mean that she would be enrolled in school and the article said that she would not be enrolled this semester.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I know that but he wasn't asking about that, he asked how could she play in December if she will not be enrolled in Fall Classes at the University. Saying there are online classes and home classes doesn't answer his question because taking those classes would mean that she would be enrolled in school and the article said that she would not be enrolled this semester.

ok,,lol

VN Store

Back