Meighan Simmons

HoopDR

waived by the Atlanta Dream. That leaves only 4 LVs still in the WNBA.

Awww, I really hate to hear this. Hope Meighan can latch on somewhere else.

Awww, I really hate to hear this. Hope Meighan can latch on somewhere else.

She has to go overseas and light it up and commit to improving defensively. She could certainly be a role player for a team.

Which should tell everybody the state of the LV program. Talent fluctuates with every program. But the LV's have been in a downward trajectory for a number of years.

Reactions: 4 people
Which should tell everybody the state of the LV program. Talent fluctuates with every program. But the LV's have been in a downward trajectory for a number of years.

reflect the struggling nature of the program. It shows that our recruiting--and in particular our talent evaluation-- hasn't been stellar--and that our player development hasn't been very good, either, especially of course at the guard position. Think about this: How many UT guards have played consistently in the WNBA--or even overseas--in the last, say, 15 years? Our guard situation has been b-a-d. It isn't easy to get established in pro basketball, granted, but this nevertheless points up our talent and development issues.

Reactions: 5 people
So actual current college teams with # of wnba players in order:
UCONN - 14
Maryland - 8
Rutgers - 7
Duke - 7
Notre Dame - 5
UNC - 5
Tennessee - 4 (was at 5 before yesterday, and at 6 -Burdick - before 2 weeks ago)
Baylor - 4
Standford - 4
Rest are all 3 or less

So at the start of the season only 4 other school's had more, it's unfortunate with Simmons and Burdick, but both could be picked up by someone else. We will see, but it doesn't look like our 4 players puts us at the bottom at all, but actually looking at the numbers, Tennessee is still relevant school in the WNBA.
(for the future, Diamond, Nared and Russell will all be in the WNBA next year) I can't think of any other D1 school that will have 3 players drafted in the 1st round right now???

Reactions: 4 people
UCONN - 14
Maryland - 8
Rutgers - 7
Duke - 7
Notre Dame - 5
UNC - 5
Tennessee - 4 (was at 5 before yesterday, and at 6 -Burdick - before 2 weeks ago)
Baylor - 4
Standford - 4
Rest are all 3 or less

So at the start of the season only 4 other school's had more, it's unfortunate with Simmons and Burdick, but both could be picked up by someone else. We will see, but it doesn't look like our 4 players puts us at the bottom at all, but actually looking at the numbers, Tennessee is still relevant school in the WNBA.
(for the future, Diamond, Nared and Russell will all be in the WNBA next year) I can't think of any other D1 school that will have 3 players drafted in the 1st round right now???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

From the stat shown this is not a bad representation of the LV. And the ones that are playing now are All-star caliber so don't write the LVs off yet. We will have a stellar draft class next yr including Diamond so as long as we continue to win and I mean win SEC championships and at least elite 8s every yr we should still be ok in recruiting.

Reactions: 2 people
reflect the struggling nature of the program. It shows that our recruiting--and in particular our talent evaluation-- hasn't been stellar--and that our player development hasn't been very good, either, especially of course at the guard position. Think about this: How many UT guards have played consistently in the WNBA--or even overseas--in the last, say, 15 years? Our guard situation has been b-a-d. It isn't easy to get established in pro basketball, granted, but this nevertheless points up our talent and development issues.

Agree about talent evaluation. Some of the players we've had the last decade have baffled me.

Reactions: 1 person
UCONN - 14
Maryland - 8
Rutgers - 7
Duke - 7
Notre Dame - 5
UNC - 5
Baylor - 4
Standford - 4
Rest are all 3 or less

Does the "right now" in your question mean the next WNBA draft or that you can't think of any other D1 school, at the moment, that will have 3 players drafted in the 1st round ?
If it's the latter, than the answer is obvious, unfortunately.

Players that want to stick in the WNBA must know how to play defense. Holly talks about defense every year but puts a team on the floor that can't play defense very well.

And no recruits at all from the Holly Warlick era. This should tell folks a lot.

Not many recruits from the Holly Warlick era have had a chance to get to the WNBA. Her first recruiting class was Mercedes Russell, Jannah Tucker, and Jordan Reynolds. Two of them are still in college. The only one that's failed to make the WNBA was Jordan.

Reactions: 11 people

Several years ago a UConn fan posted here that UTenn was quickly losing ground in the WCBB arena and the primary reason was the inability or even unwillingness to recruit and develope first rate guards. All you have to do is look at the poor assist and A/TO numbers that UTenn has put up over the last 10-15 years.

He/she took a lot of flack from UTenn fans but it seems that the analysis was spot on. The game has evolved tremendously from the rebound and pound it into the post philosophy of the 80s and 90s.

Reactions: 2 people
Not many recruits from the Holly Warlick era have had a chance to get to the WNBA. Her first recruiting class was Mercedes Russell, Jannah Tucker, and Jordan Reynolds. Two of them are still in college. The only one that's failed to make the WNBA was Jordan.

Personally I do not give Holly a free pass on this..... yes it is true that the first recruiting class that was under her guidance as head coach in title was Mercedes' class.

But what about 2011-12, when she was head coach de facto with players SHE recruited in her position as assistant coach..... was she totally detached from any link to these players and any responsibility for developing them?

What about 2012-13? Same argument. To me, it is silly to argue that Holly is only responsible for the development and success of Tennessee players who played under her for her tenure as official head coach. For her time as assistant coach, she bore no responsibility. That was Pat's responsibility, for it was SHE who was head coach when the players who graduated in 12 and 13 were first recruited and came came to Knoxville.

I know this is a minority opinion, but it makes sense to me.

Reactions: 3 people
Several years ago a UConn fan posted here that UTenn was quickly losing ground in the WCBB arena and the primary reason was the inability or even unwillingness to recruit and develope first rate guards. All you have to do is look at the poor assist and A/TO numbers that UTenn has put up over the last 10-15 years.

He/she took a lot of flack from UTenn fans but it seems that the analysis was spot on. The game has evolved tremendously from the rebound and pound it into the post philosophy of the 80s and 90s.

Whether that fan was right or wrong, i really do think that 1. yes the game has evolved over the last decade or two, and 2. the position of PG is the most important position onb the team, no question about it.

Whether that fan was right or wrong, i really do think that 1. yes the game has evolved over the last decade or two, and 2. the position of PG is the most important position onb the team, no question about it.
I agree the game has evolved. Yes, PG is the most important position. Where I differ is that there needs to be at least 3 PG in the lineup. The days of 1 person performing traditional PG roles is fading. In fact having 5 players on the court with PG skills is not out of the question. Some might be 6'4 or better but the bigs are expected to handle the ball, come out to shoot 3s,and bring the ball up the court - do everything PGs generally do.

I agree the game has evolved. Yes, PG is the most important position. Where I differ is that there needs to be at least 3 PG in the lineup. The days of 1 person performing traditional PG roles is fading. In fact having 5 players on the court with PG skills is not out of the question. Some might be 6'4 or better but the bigs are expected to handle the ball, come out to shoot 3s,and bring the ball up the court - do everything PGs generally do.

I do not disagree with you at all on this.... Totally true!! Guard skills are needed, at least in some part, by all !!!

Lots of us HW supporters would likely agree there should be better recruiting & player development. I just don't think it's fair to hang all of that around HW's neck.

We are right there at the top other than UConn. When you pick the week that 2 of our current WNBA players are released to talk about how horrible we are, and we are still in the top schools list just points to more FAHR HOLLY agenda.

After this year, we will add 3 more plus likely that Simmons & Burd play next year. That would take us to what, second place? OMG, the sky is falling! Lol.

There is really only a couple of player types that succeed in the WNBA. And those don't always line up with success at the college level. There are very few roster spots each year.

UCONN is obviously on a history-setting winning streak. They are going to get the very top player of almost every class. And those folks are likely to be drafted to the WNBA either from talent or exposure. But that isn't the end of the world, and their run will end eventually.

Go Lady Vols!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back