Somewhat OT - Balcomb to TX Tech

CannonVol80

Reactions: 1 person
Perhaps she missed actual coaching. Her position at SC as Director of Coaching Offensive Analytics didn't allow her a spot on the bench.

Reactions: 2 people
My guess was that she is coming in to boost a team that has struggled under the past 4 seasons being coached by a former player, including an 0-18 conference record the first season.

Balcomb is a good coach, and I think this move puts her in a good situation either way.

(Not sure why she isn't getting HC offers, though. Maybe she just wanted less stress after adopting a baby?? )

My guess was that she is coming in to boost a team that has struggled under the past 4 seasons being coached by a former player, including an 0-18 conference record the first season.

Balcomb is a good coach, and I think this move puts her in a good situation either way.

(Not sure why she isn't getting HC offers, though. Maybe she just wanted less stress after adopting a baby?? )

For a minute I thought you were talking about the LadyVols, then I read the 0-18...never mind! :p

Reactions: 1 person
Melanie Balcomb has departed SC and taken a position as Associate Head Coach at Texas Tech.

http://texastech.com/news/2017/7/5/melanie-balcomb-named-lady-raiders-associate-head-coach.aspx

In other news, Sheryl Swoopes has been hired at Texas Tech as Director of Player Development.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/07/05/texas-tech-great-sheryl-swoopes-joining-lady-raiders-basketball-staff

Jim

Based on what Balcomb told Tennessee and some other schools that contacted her about head and assistant coaching positions I'm very surprised that she took a job this off-season, particularly surprised that she took one as an assistant at Texas Tech. She was offered several jobs of a higher profile than that and indicated that she wanted to stay in a non-coaching role at least for this year.

VN Store

Back